COMPLETE Something Childish and Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
FractalPariah

Post by FractalPariah »

I have finished Section 1 The Tiredness of Rosabel

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/somethingchildish_01_mansfield_128kb.mp3

13 minutes 28 seconds

I think there's a bit of an echo but I honestly can't tell if I'm imagining it. Let me know if it should be fixed, I think I know what may have caused it in my recording.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

FractalPariah wrote: January 28th, 2020, 6:55 pm I have finished Section 1 The Tiredness of Rosabel

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/somethingchildish_01_mansfield_128kb.mp3

13 minutes 28 seconds

I think there's a bit of an echo but I honestly can't tell if I'm imagining it. Let me know if it should be fixed, I think I know what may have caused it in my recording.
Thanks, Fractal.

A couple of things to fix when you have time, please. I only ask for fixes of things that change the meaning of a sentence.

at 2.30: "Oh, Heavens! Rosabel stirred suddenly and unfastened the two top buttons of her coat". It sounds more like you say 'fastened'.
7.10 "“I shall go straight home and put it on before I come out to lunch with you,” Rosabel heard her say. The man leant over her as she made out the bill, then, as he counted the money into her hand—“Ever been painted?” he said." The part in bold is omitted from the recording.

As for the echoing you mention, I don't quite hear it but I hear that maybe there is something going on there. Basically, the recording quality is above average for LV, and we have a policy here of not demanding that recordings sound broadcast quality: we want to be inclusive. But, of course, there is always room for improvement and it's worthwhile trying to get the best recording quality we can manage. Sometimes when a file is noise corrected, the correction can go over the top and you get artefacts in the audio: it can sound metallic and "underwater". I don't think that's what is happening here, but I can't be sure. So if you did apply noise correction and still have the original file, you might check what other levels of correction do. Otherwise, it could just be a property of the microphone you are using and not necessarily something that can be fixed.

By the way, despite what it says in the first post, ID3 tags are no longer necessary (they are applied automatically when the recordings are catalogued) so you don't need to take the time to add those in future for this or other projects.
Rob Marland reader section | website
hypsypops

Post by hypsypops »

I would like to claim section 22 "this flower"
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

hypsypops wrote: January 29th, 2020, 9:18 am I would like to claim section 22 "this flower"
Thanks!
Readingisfun

Post by Readingisfun »

I would like to claim, "The Woman At The Store," Section 6.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Readingisfun wrote: January 29th, 2020, 5:55 pm I would like to claim, "The Woman At The Store," Section 6.
Thank you! As I see this is your first post, I will be the first to welcome you to Librivox. Great to have you here!

You may have already learnt that your next point of call will be the Listeners Wanted thread, where you can post your 1 minute test. Once that's approved, you'll be ready to record this story.

You have chosen a forum name. At LV we also have catalogue names, that are associated with our readings in the LibriVox catalogue and which you might use as a credit when you read the story. Some people use their real name in the catalogue, but it's not necessary. You can use a different name or the same as the your forum name. If you let me know what you want to use, I can put it into the system.

In the meantime, I will reserve the story for you.
Readingisfun

Post by Readingisfun »

I know I just asked to claim it, but I won't be able to read "The Woman At The Store" section 6. I didn't realize that there is a swear word in the story. I don't feel comfortable saying that word. Thank you for keeping the slot for me, though. I really appreciate it.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Readingisfun wrote: January 31st, 2020, 2:24 pm I know I just asked to claim it, but I won't be able to read "The Woman At The Store" section 6. I didn't realize that there is a swear word in the story. I don't feel comfortable saying that word. Thank you for keeping the slot for me, though. I really appreciate it.
Absolutely no problem, we each have our preferences about what we like to read. If another story appeals, feel free to claim away. And if not, I’ll see you around on the forum. :thumbs:
FractalPariah

Post by FractalPariah »

RobMarland wrote: January 29th, 2020, 3:03 am A couple of things to fix when you have time, please. I only ask for fixes of things that change the meaning of a sentence.

at 2.30: "Oh, Heavens! Rosabel stirred suddenly and unfastened the two top buttons of her coat". It sounds more like you say 'fastened'.
7.10 "“I shall go straight home and put it on before I come out to lunch with you,” Rosabel heard her say. The man leant over her as she made out the bill, then, as he counted the money into her hand—“Ever been painted?” he said." The part in bold is omitted from the recording.
I've fixed those bits: https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/somethingchildish_01_mansfield_128kb.mp3
13 minutes 28 seconds

That bit at 7:10 I don't know what happened but there were a bunch of little faults around that spot. This go around is somewhat cleaner.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

FractalPariah wrote: February 1st, 2020, 2:50 pm
RobMarland wrote: January 29th, 2020, 3:03 am A couple of things to fix when you have time, please. I only ask for fixes of things that change the meaning of a sentence.

I've fixed those bits: https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/somethingchildish_01_mansfield_128kb.mp3
13 minutes 28 seconds

That bit at 7:10 I don't know what happened but there were a bunch of little faults around that spot. This go around is somewhat cleaner.
Thanks a lot! This is PL OK now.
meppichharris

Post by meppichharris »

Hi there,

A while back I'd written that I'd like to take sections 3 and 6. I've never heard back from anyone. Can you confirm that I've been assigned these parts?

Thanks,
Marcia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

meppichharris wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 4:01 pm Hi there,

A while back I'd written that I'd like to take sections 3 and 6. I've never heard back from anyone. Can you confirm that I've been assigned these parts?

Thanks,
Marcia
Hi Marcia,
Sorry about that. I've just looked back and I think it's because someone else posted to the thread shortly after you did. Sometimes my email alerts get collapsed together when that happens, and in this case I didn't notice it had happened.

The stories are yours. Thanks for claiming and checking back.
Last edited by RobMarland on February 3rd, 2020, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meppichharris

Post by meppichharris »

RobMarland wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 4:24 pm
meppichharris wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 4:01 pm Hi there,

Thanks,
Marcia
Hi Marcia,
Sorry about that. I've just looked back and I think it's because someone else posted to the thread shortly after you did. Sometimes my email alerts get collapsed together when that happens, and in this case I didn't notice it had happened.

The stories are yours. Thanks for claiming and checking back.
Great, thanks! I'll get started then.
Marcia
meppichharris

Post by meppichharris »

RedRaspberry

Post by RedRaspberry »

Hi Rob

I have uploaded Section 5 for PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/somethingchildish_05_mansfield_128kb.mp3
Track length: 25:31

Thank you
Srikala