Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Lion24

Post by Lion24 »

oh ok! Will keep that in mind. Thank you :thumbs:
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but...
Does anyone know if the plastic jewel case CD cover is used that often by people who listen to LibriVox?
I suppose that's why we offer it, but I'm a little curious. Personally, I haven't used CDs much at all in the last 10 years, and when I did the plastic cases were tossed in the trash the second I got the wrapper off.

When I first started doing covers I downloaded the LV template guides for CD cases and used that and the cool Origami :D format for my cover pdf (making a two page file). I was considering just doing an Origami case only from now on & cut down on a little design time. Of course I love doing this anyways... :) On the positive side, it might save some server space somewhere.
April
msfry

Post by msfry »

LikeManyWaters wrote: January 9th, 2020, 9:02 pm I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but...
Does anyone know if the plastic jewel case CD cover is used that often by people who listen to LibriVox?
I suppose that's why we offer it, but I'm a little curious. Personally, I haven't used CDs much at all in the last 10 years, and when I did the plastic cases were tossed in the trash the second I got the wrapper off.

When I first started doing covers I downloaded the LV template guides for CD cases and used that and the cool Origami :D format for my cover pdf (making a two page file). I was considering just doing an Origami case only from now on & cut down on a little design time. Of course I love doing this anyways... :) On the positive side, it might save some server space somewhere.
I know people who give CD's to their friends without internet, including myself. I also like to make the CD case artwork because the little thumbnail and the CD art page displays are too small to exhibit the 5" x 5" format we actually design for. Rather than cut down on server space, at the rate we are producing it's about time we purchased considerably more space. I have urged this before, ask for donations and YE SHALL RECEIVE THEM. People love to give. They just need to be asked directly and told how much you need.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Realistically, as the "covers" are mainly seen on the internet and mp3 players, we do need to bear that in mind when we are designing - a beautiful CD cover can look like a muddy blob as a thumbnail sometimes and it is nice to be able to read the title :D
I'm sure the actual cd covers have a smaller uptake, but I do know many members who give them to people with failing eyesight so they can use a cd player and some people still don't have mp3 players in their cars - I don't.
But anything that can be used as a CD cover is fine - you only need to choose 1. And it's not all necessary to list the chapters and team members - it's OK if you do and OK if you don't but it is necessary to say who made the cover and it's components and that you are donating any rights you may have to the public domain.
schrm

Post by schrm »

msfry wrote: January 24th, 2020, 6:31 pm
annise wrote: January 24th, 2020, 4:17 pm caught .. and linked. Neat idea using the portraits and busts :clap:

Anne
Ha ha, I've been to Monticello, 3 times. Jefferson surrounded himself with busts of his heros. It was the first thing that popped into my mind, and when I found his portrait with what could have been fashioned into a shelf and a blank wall behind him, I pounced. Making the busts work was work, but that's what art is. right!

oh michele, it was so worth the effort!
tremendous idea with background knowledge and work...

really a good one!

in general:
there were many covers i liked the last weeks - but i didn't have time to look them up and post here...
i'm feeling sorry for that...

but: please keep up the good work, everyone!
wonderful covers and a good mix of styles were happening the last weeks!
Last edited by schrm on January 25th, 2020, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I agree, a really great cover Michele! :clap:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

If a claim is overdue, how long would it be before being available again? :wink:
April
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Being pedantic - they are never overdue because a time has never been set, nothing has ever been clearly stated.
Being practical it would probably be a good idea to have a discussion here to try and collect opinions, bearing in mind that anything automated would probably need to be "wishlist" not "change now.
So what happens now is
The project do not show on the list until the project has been catalogued
If it is preclaimed the name shows and the claims list shows the date catalogued
When the unclaimed ones are claimed the date of the claim shows

so how long should I wait before opening it up?

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

the color change is for mc's only :-D

i think, it is comparable to bcing a book and some claims are long overdue.
there are several styles, but most bc do ask back and set another timeframe-extension.
but here, mcs are adminstrating the covers..

i honestly don't know, if there should be an automated procedure.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Ok - I never thought about the colours being MC only - I'll edit my post.
What I'm really trying to sound people out about is what they thing is a fair time to wait before opening them up for someone else.

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

annise wrote: January 29th, 2020, 3:56 am Ok - I never thought about the colours being MC only - I'll edit my post.
What I'm really trying to sound people out about is what they thing is a fair time to wait before opening them up for someone else.

Anne
difficult..
spontaneous a month, second thought 6 weeks, third thought 3 weeks..
that's not of any help, is it?

i will try to find some pro and contry as a more relevant feedback.. in the next days...
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
msfry

Post by msfry »

A time frame is good. It used to be 3 weeks, now it is 2 weeks. Being as I try to listen to a book before I do a cover (or enough of it to get a clear idea of its theme and flavor), a short book is easy within the 2 weeks, or often just a few days, but a long book with 45 or 100 chapters, especially one that jumps around from theme to theme, and no illustrations in the book, it could easily take a month. Then again we don't want LV projects to go around naked any longer than necessary. Thus, my recommendation would be 2 weeks, with the option to ask for an extension of 2 more weeks, or it goes back into the pool. Maybe a PM first asking if an extension is needed.
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

Thanks. I wasn't sure whether the two week was a deadline, and whether any ever had to be opened up again for reclaiming. Maybe after a month the volunteer could let you know if they are working on it and ask for an extension? 2-3 months would seem like sufficient time for me if I was unfamiliar with a book.
April
schrm

Post by schrm »

there are several groups and interests here, which need to be balanced.
while two weeks are rather fast for one, for the other it is a rather long time.
1. the readers/bc want a cover, a good one maybe, a cover which meets the book and texts maybe, which advertises - and they want it fast (or don't have any interest into these topics at all)
2. the cover makers and artists, which want to learn about the book and texts, the reading styles, have to do research, look for pictures or even make a cover from scratch. we want to satisfy everyone - a little bit... and we want to be good and make good covers... but we need time for that, soe more some less.
3. the admins who want a system which is easy to maintain and administrate, want good covers, want happy cover artists :-) (i denied being an artist for some months... but as for now, i do know we make arts projects)
4. the circumstances are aspects, too: there are more cover artists than covers to make. so, this fastens the whole thing up through something like competitive pressure or stress? but we are not in a competition or deadline like in school process...or are we?

are there more interests-groups?
maybe..
also, maybe some interests may differ within the groups..

as a reader, we have two months and i think, most of us do know, that this time can be short, or really long, too.

regarding the covers...at the moment, 14 days were sufficient for me. even more: most times, a weekend is enough for me.
but others make other cover arts..
and i do see the results..

while i honestly think, that "six weeks are too long!" i didn't find any reasons against it, as long as activity is assured, and the artist doesn't vanish in the realms of inactivity... and the mc's found a way of keeping book about the missing covers..

i thought, that 14 days and another 14 days extension time were the normal process until now?
maybe time to ask back: what are your experiences, anne, availle and bart?
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Other uses of the covers:

I use the cover art in the Twitter messages I make announcing each new project. I usually announce a project 2 days after it's cataloged. (If its catalog date is Jan 25, it's tweeted about on Jan 27). If there's no cover art, the Tweet goes out without it.

I think Anne makes the M4B files, and she uses the artwork for those. If there's no cover art, she has to wait to make the M4B.

I am not giving any suggested deadline, however. I'm just stating a couple more ways the covers are used. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart