Voicing a new character...

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Many of us enjoy starting a new project, but some of us prefer the excitement of taking on one character and illustrating them with only our voice. But I've come across something odd. I'm finding myself playing exactly the same personality in all my characters! Is this something anyone else does? I know this discussion may come across as a bit odd, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried to come up with something new, or just hits record and speaks?

Also, I'm having an issue. I can play a character with much emphasis and character, however, I'm wondering how in character I should be? Some of us here, not pointing names, just hit the record button and use their everyday voice and just read the lines. Others, like myself, look at the lines and grab out a sharpy and highlight where to be happier, when to be sad, etc... or write themselves a note. But do these things go unnoticed? Like, will anyone notice the character I am portraying very hard and trying to put expressions into? I find myself taking the time to use my voice to get out a message, trying to say something that I normally can't. I thank librivox for giving me this opportunity to say something and not have to be on camera to portray my feelings, not just about what the character might feel, but what I also feel. It's an in-character feeling that I connect with, but I wonder if the emotion behind it goes unnoticed.

Anyway, tips on expressions and things? :lol:

Thank you,
Elijah
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Are we talking about DRs here or novels?

I find myself acting the same with characters. I find that this is similar in acting - many people are good at playing one type of character and it takes a special person to be able to play brilliantly many types of people. I don't worry about it too much though. As for me, I tried to put a ton of expression into my characters, then got the feedback that it was much too overdramatic. Others who just hit the record button were getting great feedback, so I toned it down. Of course, everybody has different preferences. I much prefer to listen to dramatic readings of stuff, but others don't appreciate that as much. So I say, if you want to be dramatic, do it. If you don't, don't.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

I think really hard about the personality of the character(s) I'm playing. If the author is good (which they probably are) they will have given their characters very distinct, different personalities. I ask myself, "what are some words that best describe this particular character? What is their goal, what do they want most of all?" That gives me some idea as to how to proceed voicing it.
Don't worry too hard about trying to make your voices exact or perfect. The point is to have fun, and if you have fun, then you've succeeded :wink:
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
ej400

Post by ej400 »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: ↑January 27th, 2020, 8:05 am I much prefer to listen to dramatic readings of stuff, but others don't appreciate that as much. So I say, if you want to be dramatic, do it. If you don't, don't.
I was always told to just do my best... so I think of it as I'll do my best to provide the reader with my best expressions of the character. Maybe that doesn't apply here... but still
ej400

Post by ej400 »

JayKitty76 wrote: ↑January 27th, 2020, 3:03 pm If the author is good (which they probably are) they will have given their characters very distinct, different personalities.
Don't worry too hard about trying to make your voices exact or perfect. The point is to have fun, and if you have fun, then you've succeeded :wink:
Like I said above. But also when I took a class on writing, something it said that before reading an author's work (yes the class was about writing and not reading :lol: ) is that you want to figure out the author's intent. What is the author trying to say, and so I take that into my librivox recordings and try to say through voice what the author wanted it to sound like through words.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

ej400 wrote: ↑January 27th, 2020, 3:15 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: ↑January 27th, 2020, 3:03 pm If the author is good (which they probably are) they will have given their characters very distinct, different personalities.
Like I said above. But also when I took a class on writing, something it said that before reading an author's work (yes the class was about writing and not reading :lol: ) is that you want to figure out the author's intent. What is the author trying to say, and so I take that into my librivox recordings and try to say through voice what the author wanted it to sound like through words.
Yeah, I get that. That's smart too.
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~