COMPLETE [GROUP] Fables of Aesop and Others by Aesop ed by Thomas Bewick-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

hypsypops wrote: January 24th, 2020, 7:18 am I know it hasn't been approved, I was just playing around with recording and will probably redo it, but here is my first go at the recording. Is this good enough? Any feedback?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/aesop129.take1_.mp3
I think the noise reduction here is fine. It doesn't need to be reduced down to absolute silence; some ambient noise is expected.
The volume is a bit low, at 87 dB, but still within our accepted range of 86-92 dB with 89 dB being the target. The main observation I would make here is that you soften your voice for the intro and the ending where your voice just tapers off. It is best to try to keep your volume consistent throughout, allowing for expressive reading, of course. And, your reading is quite good, which is the important thing.

This is good enough to submit as it is iw you like.

I've assigned this section, so you can just click on your name in the Magic Window to see your personal catalog page where you can track all of your LV projects.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

KathrynP wrote: January 24th, 2020, 4:27 pm Ready for PL review:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_165_aesop_128kb.mp3
2:56

Note: second sentence in appears the word "burthen", which is the archaic spelling of "burden"...I chose to say burden for today's listener.

Thank you,
Kathryn
Thanks!
Yes, I do run into that now archaic word, but I always read it that way because I feel, in most cases, it is important to preserve the text as written, and there are a lot of achaic words, spellings and usages that we encounter in these older PD works. Not really a big deal for this type of project, and I do understand your reasoning, so quite alright. I so appreciate your picking up some of these orphans. Looks as if we will have some more before the month is over. :roll:
~ Larry
KathrynP

Post by KathrynP »

hypsypops

Post by hypsypops »

silverquill wrote: January 24th, 2020, 9:26 pm
hypsypops wrote: January 24th, 2020, 7:18 am I know it hasn't been approved, I was just playing around with recording and will probably redo it, but here is my first go at the recording. Is this good enough? Any feedback?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/aesop129.take1_.mp3
I think the noise reduction here is fine. It doesn't need to be reduced down to absolute silence; some ambient noise is expected.
The volume is a bit low, at 87 dB, but still within our accepted range of 86-92 dB with 89 dB being the target. The main observation I would make here is that you soften your voice for the intro and the ending where your voice just tapers off. It is best to try to keep your volume consistent throughout, allowing for expressive reading, of course. And, your reading is quite good, which is the important thing.

This is good enough to submit as it is iw you like.

I've assigned this section, so you can just click on your name in the Magic Window to see your personal catalog page where you can track all of your LV projects.
There were a couple places where I had to rerecord a sentence because I messed up a word or whatever, and I don't think it blended very well. Any suggestions?
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Jen0631 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 6:17 pm Here is section 34:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_034_aesop_128kb.mp3
length: 2:37

Jennifer
Beautifully read, and PL OK. Thank you so much! What a lovely warm voice you have, I enjoyed listening.
regards
Jane Bennett
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

KathrynP wrote: January 25th, 2020, 10:15 am Ready for PL review:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_167_aesop_128kb.mp3
2:45

Thank you,
Kathryn
In the MW!
Thanks so much.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

hypsypops wrote: January 25th, 2020, 3:35 pm
There were a couple places where I had to rerecord a sentence because I messed up a word or whatever, and I don't think it blended very well. Any suggestions?
Well, we all face this when we have to record corrections. Even when we try to match our recording environment and settings, there is never an exact match. Our voices change slightly during the day. My voice is lower in the morning, for instance. Or, after two yours of recording it my also be lower or a bit rougher.

Anywy, the best tiip is to record an entire sentence or phrose, which will make the change less notable. Trying insert just a word or two seldome works. Then on a sentence or two you can do some things like amplification up or down. And, we accept that edits and patches don't have to be perfect! So, just do your best. :D
~ Larry
problemhouse

Post by problemhouse »

Ready for PL review:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_134_aesop_128kb.mp3

2:34

Section 134 - The Nurse and the Wolf

Thanks!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

problemhouse wrote: January 26th, 2020, 3:22 pm Ready for PL review:

Thanks!
Thank you!
This is in the MW Ready for PL.
~ Larry
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

KathrynP wrote: January 25th, 2020, 10:15 am Ready for PL review:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/fablesofaesop_167_aesop_128kb.mp3
2:45

Thank you,
Kathryn
Beautifully read, as were your other two. All PL OK. Loved the accent for the countryman!
Last edited by Jmbau13 on January 26th, 2020, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

problemhouse wrote: January 26th, 2020, 3:22 pm Ready for PL review:

Thanks!
This is almost perfect, but the volume is too low at around 83 DB. Can you amplify it please to bring it up to the required standard? (86092, with around 89-90 preferred). Let us know if you need help to do this.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

regards
Jane Bennett
hypsypops

Post by hypsypops »

silverquill wrote: January 26th, 2020, 1:09 pm
hypsypops wrote: January 25th, 2020, 3:35 pm
Well, we all face this when we have to record corrections. Even when we try to match our recording environment and settings, there is never an exact match. Our voices change slightly during the day. My voice is lower in the morning, for instance. Or, after two yours of recording it my also be lower or a bit rougher.

Anywy, the best tiip is to record an entire sentence or phrose, which will make the change less notable. Trying insert just a word or two seldome works. Then on a sentence or two you can do some things like amplification up or down. And, we accept that edits and patches don't have to be perfect! So, just do your best. :D

Perfect! So if I want to submit the piece I already recorded, what do I do? just say I submit it?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

hypsypops wrote: January 27th, 2020, 7:20 am
Perfect! So if I want to submit the piece I already recorded, what do I do? just say I submit it?
Well, you need read all of the instructions in the opening post for this project, particularly points 6-9 (just ignore the part about tags; it is done automatically now). Pay particular attention to the naming of the files (copy and paste works) and make sure you have less than one second of silence at the beginning and about 5 seconds at the end.

When you upload the file, copy the link and post it here along with the file length.
I will put it in the Magic Window and our proof listener will give you a report, either PL OK or notes on anything that needs attention, and will change the status in the MW.

Let me know if you have any questions.
It might seem a bit daunting at first, but it will soon become routine.
~ Larry