[SOLO] The Fable of the Bees by Bernard Mandeville - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mmunoz

Post by mmunoz »

The Fable of the Bees by Bernard Mandeville - (1670 - 1733).

This project is complete and can be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/the-fable-of-the-bees-by-bernard-mandeville/

Bernard Mandeville’s didactic poem praising the virtues that personal vices bestow on society as a whole, along with several treatises and dialogues explaining and defending it. Mandeville’s theories earned him the epithet “man-devil” during his lifetime, but were influential on both the moral philosophy of the Scottish Enlightenment and the methodology of modern economics. (Matthew Muñoz)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/57260
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    Space reserved for our DPL ....
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author; *Non-fiction/Philosophy/Early Modern; *Non-fiction/Political Science; *Non-fiction/Psychology

Keywords that describe the book: politics, economics, ethics, vice

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Fable of the Bees. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Fable of the Bees, by Bernard Mandeville. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Fable of the Bees by Bernard Mandeville. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Fable of the Bees, by Bernard Mandeville. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename fableofthebees_##_mandeville_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. fableofthebees_01_mandeville_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by mmunoz on February 25th, 2020, 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hello, Matthew, and welcome to Librivox.

I see you have proceeded with your 1-minute test, which is great! Usually, we suggest new readers record at least one section in a group project, so they get to learn the ropes, see how long it takes to record, edit, upload, all that. I wonder if you would like to do that?
Leni
=================
mmunoz

Post by mmunoz »

That seems sensible. I've requested a section in the Readers Wanted forum.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

mmunoz wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 7:29 pm That seems sensible. I've requested a section in the Readers Wanted forum.
Great! We can wait here for a while then. Let me know posting here when you are ready to start this solo endeavour, and I will provide you with the rest. :)
Leni
=================
linny

Post by linny »

mmunoz wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 7:29 pm That seems sensible. I've requested a section in the Readers Wanted forum.
43:34 - 6339 word, group project section is complete and PL OK. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58293&start=105
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Linni. I apologize for setting up this project. My bad. I did not read the postings thoroughly enough. Please remove my name as MC and carry on. The soloist does need his name to be added to the project. :oops:
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

philchenevert wrote: January 25th, 2020, 6:23 pm Linni. I apologize for setting up this project. My bad. I did not read the postings thoroughly enough. Please remove my name as MC and carry on. The soloist does need his name to be added to the project. :oops:
Hey, Phil

Don't worry at all! You can MC, you already had all the work of adding to the catalog. :D No hurt feelings, we are here just to help. :thumbs:
Leni
=================
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hey, Phil

Don't worry at all! You can MC, you already had all the work of adding to the catalog. :D No hurt feelings, we are here just to help. :thumbs:
Leni
OK Leni, I'll proceed. I'm just getting too impetuous in my old age. :D
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

philchenevert wrote: January 25th, 2020, 6:51 pm I'm just getting too impetuous in my old age.
I like that. I'm stealing that one for myself.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Matthew. I will help you work with the magic window, just let me know when you want to start. :D
I have a video https://youtu.be/_cDPSmlTjGM let me know if you want a more traditional approach.
mmunoz

Post by mmunoz »

I've reviewed the section lengths, and some were much longer than I anticipated, particularly the Remarks section. Luckily, Mandeville broke that section up with poem line number headings. I've made more rows in the magic window.
Yes, we try to keep sections under an hour and 10 minutes. The project is very long indeed but will be a great addition to our catalog.
mmunoz

Post by mmunoz »

Is that Phil? I think you accidentally edited my last post.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

mmunoz wrote: January 26th, 2020, 7:12 pm Is that Phil? I think you accidentally edited my last post.
Yes I did by mistake. Was trying to quote you and answer but things went awry. Anyway, is everything OK? anything needs attention? You seem to be on the ball and doing well.
mmunoz

Post by mmunoz »

philchenevert wrote: January 26th, 2020, 7:24 pm Anyway, is everything OK? anything needs attention? You seem to be on the ball and doing well.
Yes, unless you see something I missed setting up the sections.

I recorded the preface:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/fableofthebees_00_mandeville_128kb.mp3
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

As soloist y ou do not need to post the link in the project thread, just put it into the proper box in the magic window and then a note saying it is ready for PL so the DPL (whoever that will be ) will get an email notice and come running to listen. Sure hope we get a volunteer soon.
EDIT: of course you can put the link in the thread if you wish, just saying you don't need to that's all.