COMPLETE[PLAY]Don Garcia of Navarre, or The Jealous Prince by Moliere - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: January 21st, 2020, 1:57 am why did you start with the final act ?
Because it was the shortest and easiest to edit. Gives me a slight sense of accomplishment. :lol: Here's the next shortest:
Eliza, Act 3:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/jealousprince_eliza_3_128kb.mp3

Kitty wrote: January 21st, 2020, 1:57 am Eliza is very sweet, nicely done. Not a lot to say in this act, but it was done flawlessly.
Thanks, Sonia!
Kitty wrote: January 21st, 2020, 1:57 am I suppose you will include the full voice credit in the first act you're doing ;)
Yep. It'll be in Act 1.
Kitty wrote: January 21st, 2020, 1:57 am thank you, TJ :D
You're very welcome. :D
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Hello hello! I know my roles are due but I'm currently sick with the flu and haven't gotten to it yet :((( :oops:
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

leanneyauyau wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 3:48 pm Hello hello! I know my roles are due but I'm currently sick with the flu and haven't gotten to it yet :((( :oops:
I gave you a month extension - certainly hope you are feeling better long before then!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Because it was the shortest and easiest to edit. Gives me a slight sense of accomplishment. :lol: Here's the next shortest:
Eliza, Act 3:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/jealousprince_eliza_3_128kb.mp3
aha I see :lol: yes this act is also PL ok. Eliza seems to be on the payroll for Don Garcia ;)

thank you, TJ :)

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 1:25 am Eliza seems to be on the payroll for Don Garcia ;)
Yes, she is! She's the spokeswoman for jealous lovers everywhere. :lol:

Here's the slightly longer Act 1:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/jealousprince_eliza_1_128kb.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 10:22 amYes, she is! She's the spokeswoman for jealous lovers everywhere. :lol:
yes, she has a few strange notions about love and jealousy :lol: but she delivers them in a sweet-tempered way. She probably means well...

And Act 1 is PL ok as well :) Thanks again, TJ. And now the voice credit is in as well.

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: January 24th, 2020, 1:43 am
benderca wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 10:22 amYes, she is! She's the spokeswoman for jealous lovers everywhere. :lol:
yes, she has a few strange notions about love and jealousy :lol: but she delivers them in a sweet-tempered way. She probably means well...
Yes, I have had a lot of "well-meaning" friends who have given me relationship advice over the years -- luckily I didn't take most of it. :lol:
On the other hand, Eliza's advice in Act 1 to "just tell him how you feel already!" (loosely translated) is probably useful. Elvira's idea that "a sigh, a glance, a mere blush, silence itself, is enough to show the impulses of a heart" is a bunch of hogwash and can only lead to miscommunication. I think both Don Garcia and Donna Elvira should enroll in my "Effective Communication Skills" workshop. It would do them both a load of good. :D

Here's Eliza, Act 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/jealousprince_eliza_2_128kb.mp3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

I have one question regarding the interpretation of one of my lines:

"The Princess herself must find means to send him away, if she says but one word to him."

I said it without a pause, interpreting that Eliza was frustrated at not being able to get rid of Don Garcia. I thought she meant that if Don Garcia doesn't wait to let her cool down, Elvira will send him away herself ("if she says but one word to him," it will be to send him away). But then I thought maybe Eliza is referring to the need to get rid of Don Garcia because the disguised Donna Inez is with her. Then I should pause at the comma. Any thoughts?

Eliza, Act 4:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/jealousprince_eliza_4_128kb.mp3
benderca

Post by benderca »

Eliza has some good advice in this act as well:

"A lover undoubtedly acts wisely when he tries to suit his temper to ours; a hundred acts of politeness have less influence than this unison, which makes two hearts appear as if stirred by the same feelings. This similarity firmly unites them; for we love nothing so much as what resembles ourselves."

This is the "mirroring technique" that experts advise applicants to use during a job interview to create fast-track report, causing the interviewer to think s/he has a like-minded person in front of him/her and therefore wants to hire him/her -- for, as Eliza says, "we love nothing so much as what resembles ourselves." :lol: :lol:

Our dear Eliza is ahead of her time, I would say...
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

benderca wrote: January 26th, 2020, 8:28 am I have one question regarding the interpretation of one of my lines:

"The Princess herself must find means to send him away, if she says but one word to him."

I said it without a pause, interpreting that Eliza was frustrated at not being able to get rid of Don Garcia. I thought she meant that if Don Garcia doesn't wait to let her cool down, Elvira will send him away herself ("if she says but one word to him," it will be to send him away). But then I thought maybe Eliza is referring to the need to get rid of Don Garcia because the disguised Donna Inez is with her. Then I should pause at the comma. Any thoughts?

Eliza, Act 4:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/jealousprince_eliza_4_128kb.mp3
Or perhaps she means that if the princess says but one word to him (instead of saying nothing - maybe saying nothing is what Eliza has said for her to do?), that word - any word - might be taken by him as encouragement for him to stay. And then the princess will be on her own to get rid of him (cuz Eliza told her to say nothing?)?

Very confusing. Next we will wonder if she said nothing in the right tone of voice. On stage nothing might have been said, but it might have been with an indifferent look versus a come-hither look. Or one interpreted by Don Garcia that way.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: January 26th, 2020, 8:28 amI have one question regarding the interpretation of one of my lines:
Ok to make sure, I checked the French original, in case something was lost in translation:

"Il faut que ce soit elle, avec une parole, qui trouve les moyens de le faire en aller."
-- translated: "it must be her, with one word, who has to find the means to make him leave"

This seems to me to mean precisely, that since Eliza doesn't know how to get rid of him, in the end it has to be Elvira who needs to say something to make him finally leave. Eliza doesn't know what to do anymore as she has tried everything.

I think your interpretation doesn't strike me as odd here in context. I can mark both acts PL ok.

Thank you, TJ, beautiful performance.

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Thanks, Todd & Sonia! One little line, so many possibilities... :D
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

WiltedScribe wrote: November 18th, 2019, 7:49 am I'll give Don Alvarez a go! :)
Should I orphan this?

Thanks, Todd
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Would like to request a short extension, please!
Tomas Peter