[COMPLETE] On Everything, by Hilaire Belloc - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

On Everything by Hilaire Belloc (1870 - 1953).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/on-everything-by-hilaire-belloc/

Volunteers outside the USA: Hilaire Belloc died in 1953. His/Her work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years.
Hillaire Belloc of French by birth, British by naturalization was a diverse and prolific writer of the early 20th century. His writing runs the range from poetry, political writings and children’s stories. He was a close friend, and sometimes collaborator with fellow Catholic G.K. Chesterton

This book is a collection of essays and other short writings on a vast array of subjects ranging from observations on the barber, the duel, reflections on war and religion. Some are in the form of drama, dialogue and letters but always engaging with wit and satire.
( Larry Wilson)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/61076
      Link to script for "The Visitor" https://app.box.com/s/7x7gzrffci491y0bvf0vkgpyuac5wzb8
      Link to script for "Asmodeus" https://app.box.com/s/3d5f7zow26izi1dtes3bkjrjogjewylj
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of On Everything. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "On Everything, by Hilaire Belloc. [Chapter Title]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Chapter [Number] "
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of On Everything, by Hilaire Belloc. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      oneverything_##_belloc_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. oneverything_01_belloc_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by silverquill on February 21st, 2020, 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

We've recently completed a volume of Belloc's poetry, and here we have a collection of essays and short writings. There will be several sections that I will set up as dialogues or short DR. I think the effect will be quite enjoyable.
~ Larry
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

TriciaG wrote: January 19th, 2020, 4:02 pm This is set up. :)
Thank you, Tricia!

I have three chapters that I want to do as liitle DR's, each with two or three parts, so I set up the parts at the end of the MW. If you think there is a better way to set this up, let me know.

I think maybe I should prepare coded docs for those sections to make it easier for readers.
And, I'll give instructions on reading the intros and outros for those pieces.

Other than that -- We are ready for readers, and a DPL would be most welcome,
~ Larry
LynnJM

Post by LynnJM »

Larry, I'd be happy to DPL.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

LynnJM wrote: January 20th, 2020, 7:32 am Larry, I'd be happy to DPL.
Wonderful -- glad to have you aboard!
~ Larry
LynnJM

Post by LynnJM »

silverquill wrote: January 20th, 2020, 7:49 am
LynnJM wrote: January 20th, 2020, 7:32 am Larry, I'd be happy to DPL.
Wonderful -- glad to have you aboard!
Thanks Larry! :D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

DPL entered. I guess we'll move this to Readers Wanted now. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
yatsuatari

Post by yatsuatari »

Hello. I would like to record sections 2 and 3 if they are available. Thanks.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

yatsuatari wrote: January 21st, 2020, 8:36 pm Hello. I would like to record sections 2 and 3 if they are available. Thanks.
Hmmm. I'm not sure where you posted your 1-minute test, but it sounds perfect - great recording voice and expressively read, all specs on target.
Just remember in your recordings - no more than one second of silence at the begining, and about 5 seconds of silence at the end.

You are free to go ahead and start recording these, but I do need to know how you want to be listed in the LibriVox catalog. Many of us just use our real names since this is how we are credited for our work, but you many chose a pseudonym or nickname if you wish.

Just let me know, then I can officially assign these sections to you and enter you into the Magic Window.

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX! :clap:
~ Larry
yatsuatari

Post by yatsuatari »

You are free to go ahead and start recording these, but I do need to know how you want to be listed in the LibriVox catalog. Many of us just use our real names since this is how we are credited for our work, but you many chose a pseudonym or nickname if you wish.

Thank you. Please list me as, Steve Mayer.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

yatsuatari wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 4:01 am

Thank you. Please list me as, Steve Mayer.
Great! You are in for Sections 2 and 3.
Just click on your name in the Magic Window to see your catalog page.
This is where you can track all of your LV work.

Looking forward to your fine recording. :)
~ Larry
eakahn

Post by eakahn »

I would like to volunteer to do section 5, "The Long March."

This would be my first contribution and I would like to be credited as EA Kahn, no links (for now).
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

eakahn wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 6:13 pm I would like to volunteer to do section 5, "The Long March."

This would be my first contribution and I would like to be credited as EA Kahn, no links (for now).
Sure!
I see your one-minute test has been approved.
Just click on you name in the Magic Window to view your catalog page where you can track all of your LV projects.

This is somewhat of a long section for your first recording, but if you feel you're ready, go ahead.

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap:
~ Larry
eakahn

Post by eakahn »