[COMPLETE][Short stories]The Black Cat Vol. 01 No. 02 November 1895 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dg73 wrote: January 18th, 2020, 1:40 pmOk, here is the corrected version;
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0102nov1895_01_various_128kb.mp3 16.65 KB
17:45
Thanks very much for the feedback, I hope it's better now. I actually have read for a few podcasts in the "weird western" genre and they are quite fun.
Let me know if there's anything I missed.
yes this is much more fluent now :thumbs: it has improved with trimming the pauses. I can mark it PL ok now. Thank you so much.

What is "weird" western ? With supernatural elements ?

Sonia
dg73

Post by dg73 »

Thats it. A couple I did for "Tales to Terrify" had a gunslinger protagonist, who had to put a childs ghost to rest. Another (with the same gunslinger) had him up against a lovecraftian -dagon- worshipping cultist! One of my first audiobooks was "Hawkridge - a sword and sorcery western". That's on amazon/audible. All kinds of fun. Thanks very much again for the feedback!
Dan Gurzynski
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dg73 wrote: January 19th, 2020, 6:26 amThats it. A couple I did for "Tales to Terrify" had a gunslinger protagonist, who had to put a childs ghost to rest. Another (with the same gunslinger) had him up against a lovecraftian -dagon- worshipping cultist! One of my first audiobooks was "Hawkridge - a sword and sorcery western".
sounds like an interesting amalgam of topics. I've never read any of those, but might give it a try.

And guys: check out the awesome cover theme that Annise has created for this series :9: It will look brilliant later on when we have more of the series on one page:
https://archive.org/details/black_cat_01_01_2001_librivox

Sonia
ShannaLea

Post by ShannaLea »

Thanks so much Sonia!

I so appreciate your notes, I feel like I'm taking a free class and it's awesome. I want to learn more!

Yes, I am using Audacity. I have my noise reduction set to 9,6,6 I believe. If you have any noise reduction tips I would love to hear them if you have time.

I just listened to a portion again and I agree about the noise being softer in the first half.

I wouldn't dare re-record the whole thing unless it was just a total hot mess from the start. Haha.

Do you think my voice is suitable for this type of work? I have wanted to try voice acting for a long time and I would love a quick note about how it sounds. Also I lowered my voice very slightly for the male characters lines, is this acceptable?

I'll get on these edits! Thanks again.

Shanna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ShannaLea wrote: January 19th, 2020, 10:56 amI so appreciate your notes, I feel like I'm taking a free class and it's awesome. I want to learn more!
you came to the right forum then :mrgreen:
Yes, I am using Audacity. I have my noise reduction set to 9,6,6 I believe. If you have any noise reduction tips I would love to hear them if you have time.
each of us experiment what works best for them. I personally have the settings 12,6,0. But that may not work for each room-noise. So if you ran the noise-cleaning already, maybe it will help to just run it once more. If you haven't yet - do it :wink: it may be better with one round of cleaning already
I wouldn't dare re-record the whole thing unless it was just a total hot mess from the start. Haha.
yes I guess most of us wouldn't but I've had some incidents already where I had to relisten to an entire half-hour section again, because they re-recorded it all instead of simply correcting two small sentences. :? That's why I prefer to err on the side of caution and tell newbies beforehand. It's a lot of time and work wasted, both for the reader and the listener. And so unnecessarily.
Do you think my voice is suitable for this type of work? I have wanted to try voice acting for a long time and I would love a quick note about how it sounds.
your "speaking in character" was very lively and outgoing, so YES, I definitely think you should be a new addition to our drama cast. It's great fun, I can tell you. We have actually started a new play just now, by Gilbert, more of a tragic drama though, so no romping comedy. If you like to join, there are still one female role left. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=77907 you could try out yourself, whether you like it. :)

Update: actually the last role has just been claimed, sorry :( but lots of projects here still available: viewforum.php?f=27
Also I lowered my voice very slightly for the male characters lines, is this acceptable?
that is absolutely acceptable. I myself love to change voices for every character when there is direct speech. It makes it all lively in my opinion. And many do it, to my delight. :9:

You totally fit in here, I already love to hear more from you.

Sonia
ShannaLea

Post by ShannaLea »

Kitty wrote: January 19th, 2020, 1:54 am
ok Shanna, I had a listen to your story now and it was SO funny. I was on to that guy from Maine after his second con. :lol: A very entertaining story. And you have read it very nicely, very fluently and agreeably to listen to. :thumbs: The only thing I may mention in your reading style is that compared to the previous reader Dan, your pauses in between sentences could actually be a tiny bit longer sometimes. It does have a bit of a rushed feeling in some parts. Leaving a second of silence in between sentences, or at least when a new paragraph starts, would make it easier on a listener to follow, so they can collect their thoughts and assimilate what is being said. I don't mean pauses over 2 seconds, that's too much (as I mentioned in my previous feedback to Dan), but a tiny bit more would be optimal. That said, you don't need to correct any pauses here, it's fine, but I mentioned it for your further recordings as a sort of suggestion ;)

Gotcha! I read your suggestions to Dan and I understand.

I have a few notes to correct though. But don't worry, you don't have to re-record it all again ! Please don't do that, it's too much work - I mention it because we had some new readers re-record an entire section just for one error in a sentence - this is not encouraged ! Best to learn editing from the start.

That's what I need to learn for sure.

So here is what you need to edit:

> the whole section could use a round of noise-cleaning as there is some background hum. Are you using Audacity ? It's easy to noiseclean, if you need help with that, I can give you a step-by-step :)

I did the noise cleaning as you suggested.

> your volume is just on the lower accepted range at about 86 dB. But the intro is way softer than the rest. I would suggest highlighting the intro part and amplifying it by 9 dB

Help! I don't know how to accomplish this.

> from 0:00-0:05: with 5 seconds the intro silence is way too long, people will start to think there is no audio at all in the file. We recommend 0.5-1 second maximum before starting the intro disclaimer

Done.

> at 0:38: for the author please say "by J. D. Ellsworth"

Done.

> at 3:16: (p. 26) "whose strict prohibition principles deprived them of the gracious influence" - you say "derived" which is a change of meaning. So here I would suggest re-recording the short part of the sentence. Record it in another window, then copy/paste it over to the right spot. Maybe adjust the volume and noise-cleaning a bit so it sounds a bit similar to the rest of the sentence

Wow. Can't believe I did that, it's fixed now.

> at 5:25: (p. 27) "I wouldn't dare (cough) to take water (cough)" - our policy is actually to read what the author wrote and not "act it out". We do that in our drama section if you are interested in playing a role. I'm sure you would fit right in there. :D But in prose texts it's usually not done.

Got it. I fixed the coughs. I would love to try the drama section out! I'll take a look thanks so much for the suggestion. I hope I fit in!

> at 7:10: "end of the Black Cat..." etc. you can cut all of this out, as it's actually only suppose to be said at the end of the very last section of the book. (which I noted in the first post) So only the reader of Section 8 has to say it in this case

Done.

thanks, a great start. These small PL notes are actually really easy to correct, so don't worry. :) If you need any help, please ask.

Sonia
Thanks a million times for all of your notes and your assistance. All I think is left here is that volume issue.

Here is what I have now:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0102nov1895_04_various_128kb.mp3

Shanna
ShannaLea

Post by ShannaLea »

Kitty wrote: January 19th, 2020, 9:19 am
dg73 wrote: January 19th, 2020, 6:26 am And guys: check out the awesome cover theme that Annise has created for this series :9: It will look brilliant later on when we have more of the series on one page:
https://archive.org/details/black_cat_01_01_2001_librivox

Sonia
Wow! It looks fabulous!! Great job Annise!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I already checked, and the edits have been optimally done. If this was your first time editing in a new-recorded sentence, I must congratulate you, it was excellently done, wouldn't hear a difference in sound. (you should have heard my first tries... :? )
Help! I don't know how to accomplish this.
:lol: I noticed...because your section is even softer now instead of louder. Now you only reach 83 dB, which is way too low.

Ok, here is what you should do:

> open the latest version (this one now) in Audacity
> highlight it all, by double-clicking
> go to Effect in the upper tool bar
> go to Amplify
> write 5 in the upper box (called Amplification db). Change nothing in the lower box !
> press OK

you'll see the spikes will get higher

You have some parts which are louder than others, especially in the spoken parts, which is normal for many of us. But it would be good to try to control the volume a bit in those parts. You will learn that if you start doing drama more often. As an exaggerated example: you can actually "scream" without shouting into the mic, as well as "whisper" and you will still be audible, if you know what I mean. This is something that you will experiment with and get better with time (we all did)

Well long story short, if you keep the high spikes out of your recordings, it will be easier to uniformely amplify your file without any clipping off of spikes. I usually watch the audacity waves pass by when I record and if I see that I make a spike in a beginning of a sentence, I take a deep breath and re-do that part a bit more level-voiced. Later on you can cut it out easily.
Wow. Can't believe I did that, it's fixed now.
:thumbs: it's perfectly done
I would love to try the drama section out! I'll take a look thanks so much for the suggestion. I hope I fit in!
oh you will (knowing grin). Sorry that the one play is already full. You need to be quick here, we have a great group of regular stage buffs :mrgreen:
All I think is left here is that volume issue.
yes that is all, just amplify it all the way I mentioned above and reupload. :) thank you

Sonia
ShannaLea

Post by ShannaLea »

Wow Sonia I'm proud of myself !! :clap:

Yes, this was my first time editing a vocal part.

I did as you mentioned with the amplify effect. Let's hope its better now.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0102nov1895_04_various_128kb.mp3

Could you tell me how to tell what the decibels are? I feel like I've looked everywhere and can't find a thing.

Thanks again you are really awesome!

Shanna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ShannaLea wrote: January 19th, 2020, 2:16 pmI did as you mentioned with the amplify effect. Let's hope its better now.
yes !!! success. Now you are inside our accepted range.
Could you tell me how to tell what the decibels are? I feel like I've looked everywhere and can't find a thing.
yes for Audacity you can download a plug-in:
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
And there is the Checker program which will check your mp3 file later on, it tells you your volume and the background noise. This is what DPLers use to check all the technical specs. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

Congrats on your PL ok now !!! Hope to hear you again in another Black Cat soon :9:

Thank you

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Section 7 recorded, must edit.

Thanks, Todd
ShannaLea

Post by ShannaLea »

Hooray!!! I'm so happy!!! Thanks for all of your help and thanks so much for the plugin information!! I couldn't figure out how people were doing this. How frustrating, Sonia to the rescue!!

I look forward to reading again soon!!

Shanna
Kitty wrote: January 19th, 2020, 2:23 pm
ShannaLea wrote: January 19th, 2020, 2:16 pmI did as you mentioned with the amplify effect. Let's hope its better now.
yes !!! success. Now you are inside our accepted range.
yes for Audacity you can download a plug-in:
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
And there is the Checker program which will check your mp3 file later on, it tells you your volume and the background noise. This is what DPLers use to check all the technical specs. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

Congrats on your PL ok now !!! Hope to hear you again in another Black Cat soon :9:

Thank you

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Here is Section 7. Short and sweet. Length 6:50

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0102nov1895_7_various_128kb.mp3

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 20th, 2020, 4:12 amHere is Section 7. Short and sweet. Length 6:50
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0102nov1895_7_various_128kb.mp3
ah yes indeed. The child was born under a lucky star. And I loved the revelation at the end 8-) for some reason I never thought about the shooter, but actually it makes sense. The guy probably wondered where his money went to all these years. :lol:

Excellently narrated, thank you Todd. Totally PL ok :) I loved all the stories so far. :9:

Sonia
huldaheath

Post by huldaheath »

Hi, just checking in - I'll likely have something ready for PL next weekend. Can't wait to hear everyone's sections this go round! All the readers did an amazing job in the last edition. :)
⛧ Hulda