CAN I RECORD CLOSE TO REQUESTED mbps and MHz?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
CScottPalmer

Post by CScottPalmer »

Hi,

I'm preparing to do my first Librivox recording of a short story and the required technical settings for the recording are a hair or two off of the settings capable in my computers app to record my voice. Is it feasible for me to record it at the closest possible setting to what's asked for and still be accepted for broadcast?

Thanks for helping,

C. Scott Palmer
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there and welcome to LV!

Your "very first LV recording" should be our 1 minute test. This way we can see how much that "hair's breadth" really is and give you advice accordingly.

When you're ready, just upload your test and post it over in the "Listeners and Editors Wanted" forum.

Good luck with it and have fun on here! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The bit rate and sample rate have to be 128kbps constant and 44100 Hz. I'm not sure how "a little off" any app/program could be. :)

So - do the 1-minute test as Availle says, and when you post it, include the name of the app you're using.

You can use a minute or so of the audio you've already recorded, but name it and upload it according to the instructions here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
loon

Post by loon »

You will want some form of editing software in addition to whatever you use to record yourself. A majority of the people here use Audacity both for recording and editing, but there is no reason you can't record with one piece of software - or even a different device - and edit with something else. Audacity, and most other audio editing programs, will let you output 128kbps/constant/44100Hz/mp3. The specs for the file you upload count - the bit rate, sample rate, and encoder you use to prepare your section up to you.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN