COMPLETE [RELIGION] Life and Death by Catherine Booth - kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

swiftsjourney wrote: January 12th, 2020, 3:02 pm I can do 6
I'd be glad to have you read for us, but there are a few things to do first.

Under bullet point 3 of this header post for this project, you will find a link to the Newbie Guide to Recording.
I suggest that you read this carefully.

You will find a section on doing your initial 1-minute preliminary test recording.
Please complete that and have it approved.

Then, post here again with your preferred name for the LibriVox catalog, and i'll assign you to this section, although you might consider taking on a couple of shorter pieces first before tackling one of these longer pieces.

Just let me know if you have any questions about this.

~Larry
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
swiftsjourney

Post by swiftsjourney »

Hi Larry,

Thank you for your reply. I can do the 1-minute test, I thought I also read in the description of it that it wasn't mandatory but some will require it. I will finish that up and re-sign up to read chapter 6 with my name. Thanks again!

Best wishes,
Nathan Swift
swiftsjourney

Post by swiftsjourney »

Here is the link I uploaded for the 1-minute test.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_swiftsjourney.mp3
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

swiftsjourney wrote: January 14th, 2020, 7:59 pm Here is the link I uploaded for the 1-minute test.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_swiftsjourney.mp3
Nathan,

Your test sounds fine to me, but it fails the Checker test.

The problem is that you have 48,000 Hz instead of 44,100 Hz in the Mp3 format.

You fix it by clicking Edit in Audacity, then choosing Preferences, then Quality, and you'll get a list of numbers from which you choose 44100.

You might like to submit the test in Listeners Wanted to get input from people with more technical expertise than mine. Larry might have some suggestions, too, but the file sounds good to me. It is within the desired volume range of 86 to 91 dB: I don't hear any distracting back ground noise, and you read well. When you get it to pass Checker, just ask again here for the section you would like to read.

You might like to access the Checker tool yourself by clicking on the three white lines in the top left corner of the forum index and choosing Guidelines for Listeners and Volunteers (Librivox wiki), then going down to Recording under the larger heading Volunteering. The Checker is the first item listed under Tools in the right hand column below Recording. You download it to your computer, then drag and drop your Mp3 files into it, and it analyses them according to Librivox specs and gives you a report as to whether the file passed or failed. In a section called Validation, it tells you why a file failed or passed with warnings.

Thanks for your interest. Looking forward to you getting started recording.
Pattymarie
swiftsjourney

Post by swiftsjourney »

Thank you for helping out. I did see the first recording was in 48000hz not 44100hz. This one passed the checker that I downloaded and performed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/test_swiftsjourney.mp3

Nathan
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

swiftsjourney wrote: January 15th, 2020, 6:13 pm Thank you for helping out. I did see the first recording was in 48000hz not 44100hz. This one passed the checker that I downloaded and performed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/test_swiftsjourney.mp3

Nathan
Yes, Nathan, the test is completely fine as far as I can tell.

Larry, could we put Nathan in the magic window for section 6 which he volunteered for on Jan. 12?
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Nathan,

Larry seems to be busy, and I don't want you to give up on us and go elsewhere since it's been two full days plus several hours since you uploaded your passing test and six since your first request for section 6, I'm going assign section 6 to you.

Looking forward to hearing your first Librivox contribution.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Nathan,

To add you as a new reader, I need your display name, that is the name that you want to appear on your catalog page and on every section that you upload. Some volunteers use their real names for that, while others (like myself) use their forum names or other pseudonym as their display name. You can see what a catalog page looks like by clicking on any reader's name in the magic window, and you can see the display names on each section by opening any completed project.
Pattymarie
swiftsjourney

Post by swiftsjourney »

pattymarie wrote: January 18th, 2020, 4:17 am Nathan,

To add you as a new reader, I need your display name, that is the name that you want to appear on your catalog page and on every section that you upload. Some volunteers use their real names for that, while others (like myself) use their forum names or other pseudonym as their display name. You can see what a catalog page looks like by clicking on any reader's name in the magic window, and you can see the display names on each section by opening any completed project.
Hey Pattymarie.

You may use swiftsjourney as the display name. I finished the recording and uploaded it. The link is below. Let me know if I need to change anything.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/lifeanddeath_06_booth_128kb.mp3.mp3

Thank you for all your help!

Best wishes,
Nathan
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Thank you so much, Nathan. I'm in a huge rush to get out the house for dinner with a refugee family where I live, so I'll add you as a reader and put this in the magic window later tonight if Larry hasn't done so sooner. I'll listen to it later tonight or tomorrow
Pattymarie
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I have been holding off, hoping you would read and follow the directions for posting your one-minute test. The instructions are quite clear on what to read for the test (we have something specific to help identify potential recording issues) and the correct forum to post it in where you'll get the correct feedback.

But, since pattymarie has taken you under her wing, I've added you to the catalog, assigned you the section, and put it in the MW Ready for PL.

Another instruction you neglected is to post the file length along with the link, so you need to do that.

I did take a quick look at your recording, and there is a click right at the beginning you'll need to clip out, and I think there's somethin irregular in the introduction, but I'll let pattymarie give you the full proof listen -- she's quite good!

Thanks to you both.

~Larry
~ Larry
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 6 PL Notes:

Only the click at the beginning needs to be cut for this to be PL OK.

Thank you for a fine reading.
Pattymarie
swiftsjourney

Post by swiftsjourney »

Chapter 6, A True and False Faith, 18,831 kb, 20:05 recording, 128 kbps bitrate, 16 bit sample rate

Click should be fixed. If the click is still there, I'm not sure how to do it.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Nathan
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Nathan,

I'm sorry, I missed what Larry mentioned as there possibly being "something irregular in the introduction" to the file besides the click. In the last line of the intro for which the instruction is:

Say:
"Life and Death, by Catherine Booth. Chapter [Title]"

everyone has been repeating the chapter number before the title. I think that's been done in most of the Lv recordings I've listened to, and I'm doing it in my solo.

I'm not going to ask you to record and insert that because the instructions are not at all clear that the number is required there again. You did read the chapter number at the beginning where it says "Chapter [number] of Life and Death...." This is just to let you know that the chapter number is usually read again before the title. That line of the instructions should be amended to read "Chapter [Number and Title]" if that's what's desired.
Pattymarie
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

swiftsjourney wrote: January 18th, 2020, 2:59 pm Chapter 6, A True and False Faith, 18,831 kb, 20:05 recording, 128 kbps bitrate, 16 bit sample rate

Click should be fixed. If the click is still there, I'm not sure how to do it.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Nathan
Just fine! No click, so you did just fine.
Sometimes I just don't know how these things get introduced into a recording -- not a mouse click or a mike bump. But it's gone, and that's all that matters.

I congratulate you on a high quality recording on your first go around!
I'm sure much better than my first one. Boy, did I struggle in the beginning. :roll:

So, I think you are off to a great start with LibriVox here. :clap:

I hope we'll here more of you on LV, and feel free to chose another section(s) in this project if you like.

Oh, and don't worry about the intro; you're fine. :D

~Larry
~ Larry