COMPLETE: On The Trail: An Outdoor Book for Girls by Lina Beard -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

stoogeswoman wrote: January 16th, 2020, 6:19 pm
KevinS wrote: January 16th, 2020, 6:13 pm
stoogeswoman wrote: January 16th, 2020, 6:07 pm And here's my first section!

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/onthetrail_00_beard_128kb.mp3 2 minutes 33.809 sec / 2.40 KB
Great! May I give some pointers?
By all means! I wasn't sure if I should say "Section 0" or not, for example.
I would take "Section Zero" out as it is followed by "Presentation." I often use other terms for anything I record that is a Section Zero, so to speak. Introduction, preface, etc.

So, to my points, rather than my doing a PL---at least for now---I would suggest that you enter the MW and mark this section as "Ready for PL." Also, we put the recording's time (length) in the box for notes.

The time need not be so precise as what you have marked. If you click on the 'link,' you'll see the player and it will give the length of the recording to be used.

I don't know what the '2.4 KB' stands for, so I won't comment except to say I assume that this measure is standard and not needed.
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

KevinS wrote: January 16th, 2020, 6:36 pm
KevinS wrote: January 16th, 2020, 6:13 pm

Great! May I give some pointers?
I would take "Section Zero" out as it is followed by "Presentation." I often use other terms for anything I record that is a Section Zero, so to speak. Introduction, preface, etc.

So, to my points, rather than my doing a PL---at least for now---I would suggest that you enter the MW and mark this section as "Ready for PL." Also, we put the recording's time (length) in the box for notes.

The time need not be so precise as what you have marked. If you click on the 'link,' you'll see the player and it will give the length of the recording to be used.

I don't know what the '2.4 KB' stands for, so I won't comment except to say I assume that this measure is standard and not needed.
Oh, OK to all that. The KB is the size of the file -- I had been told in the past to include that info after uploading the file, in addition to the time.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

stoogeswoman wrote: January 16th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Oh, OK to all that. The KB is the size of the file -- I had been told in the past to include that info after uploading the file, in addition to the time.
I've never heard that before. That's interesting.
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

Here's the revised file:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/onthetrail_00_beard_128kb.mp3 2 min 32 sec / 2.3 KB (sorry, force of habit! 8-) )
Last edited by stoogeswoman on January 16th, 2020, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

stoogeswoman wrote: January 16th, 2020, 7:03 pm Here's the revised file:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/onthetrail_00_beard_128kb.mp3 2 min 32.18 sec / 2.3 KB
I would prefer not PLing at this time if lomond is going to step into those shoes. (I'll be happy to do the PL if he decides he is too busy.)

My interest is in getting the MW all set up.

And I'm anxious to start recording, maybe even tonight. (It depends on my voice. It's been rocky for two or three days.)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Soon you're going to be an expert!
ScientificMethodist

Post by ScientificMethodist »

I'll take section 8 please!
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

ScientificMethodist wrote: January 16th, 2020, 7:10 pm I'll take section 8 please!
You got it! Thanks! 8-)
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

KevinS wrote: January 16th, 2020, 7:09 pm Soon you're going to be an expert!
Hah! Well, maybe an amateur expert! :D
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

stoogeswoman wrote: January 16th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Yes, at one time it was common practice to give both the length of the file and the size. Over the years we have mostly shifted to just the file length. Kevin obviously hasn't been around long enough to remember that.

As far as introducing a preface, forward, etc., it is fine to just start by saying Preface (Forward or Introduction as appropriate) of Book Title and then continue with Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc. for the rest of the chapters. We use section zero in hopes that the track numbers will then coincide with the Chapter numbers, but that doesn't always work out if chapters are long and need to be split or there is both a Preface and a Introduction, for example.

Did I miss that lomond has volunteered to be DPL? If so, let me know and I will update the database entry.
Jo
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Lomond will DPL this one.

Lomond
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

lomond wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:09 pm Greetings -

Lomond
Great, thank you so much!! 8-)

Quick question: am I still the one who goes in to assign the readers who claim a section, or does the DPL do that?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

stoogeswoman wrote: January 17th, 2020, 10:00 am
lomond wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:09 pm Greetings -

Lomond
Great, thank you so much!! 8-)

Quick question: am I still the one who goes in to assign the readers who claim a section, or does the DPL do that?
That's a good question.

It's really the BC's responsibility. If the BC and DPL agree on other arrangements, however, I've never heard anyone complain about this. The key is to know who's who and what's what.
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

Great - well, I have no problem doing it, just want to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. :)
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Assigning reader sections and keeping the MW up to date by adding listen links, entering file length in the notes field and updating the status is the BC's responsibility. The DPL can change the status to PL OK or See PL notes, or the BC can however you both prefer. Your MC is here to help as needed.

Off to add Lomond as DPL... :)
Jo