Informal survey

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Peter Why wrote: January 1st, 2020, 1:34 pm Could you give me details of the dictionary of profanities, please? I think it would make a nice gift for a friend of mine, who took courses in Russian some years ago.
I had two of them on my shelves some years ago. The one I have at the moment, ISBN 5710602833, is a dictionary followed by an anthology of illustrative usage from Pushkin to folklore. The other, which must have ended up with a relative, was probably the dictionary published as ISBN 5711704141 and 571170303X. They're both in Russian only.

Cheers,
Michael
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thank you very much; I'll see if I can get one of them.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

French, German, Spanish, Italian, Latin (classical and medieval), Japanese, English, as well as several books of English slang. And, no, I don't speak many of those.
lethargilistic

Post by lethargilistic »

There's an English dictionary in my stack of books. I don't pull it out, but I've had it forever, so I'd be sad to part with it.

There's also a (Merriam-Webster?) Japanese-English Dictionary from my school days with an atrocious design. It lists the Japanese words in romanji, among other issues. I bought it then barely even used it after I realized it would be so unhelpful.
Mike
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

I have the three-volume Oxford English dictionary (comes with magnifying glass)
the 2nd, 3rd and 4th editions of the American Heritage Dictionary. (I'm debating buying the 5th edition)
French, Italian, Spanish, Latin and Irish dictionaries.
plus a shelf full of word and phrase origin books.
Truth,
James
---------------------
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Oh, I have a lot of dictionaries... a whole shelf for them.
So, there are: Russian-Latvian large dictionary in 2 volumes; German - Latvian (2 different versions) and Latvian - German (also 2 versions); dictionary of terms of political science; one more German - Latvian dictionary (God knows why I have so many German dictionaries :lol: ); Latvian - Polish big dictionary; Polish-Latvian-Polish small dictionary; Latin - Latvian dictionary.
And, so to say, the gem of my collection: German - Russian dictionary, printed 1886! 8-)

Now I do wonder where are my English dictionaries... I distinctly remember having at least two... :hmm:
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
michaelwy

Post by michaelwy »

I have a few French and English dictionionaries, but I have an online dictionary service that i subscribe to. I hardly ever touch these old paper copies any more.