COMPLETE: LibriVox NaNoWriMo 2007: The Yellow Sheet ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

This book is now complete and can be downloaded from the LibriVox catalogue: http://librivox.org/the-yellow-sheet-by-librivox-volunteers/

The LibriVox NaNoWriMo 2007: The Yellow Sheet

Document with final chapters: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dt724vw_58cd96b6
Wiki page for tracking plot and characters: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Nanowrimo2007Map

Please read this post carefully; the rules are somewhat different to other LibriVox projects.
  • What is the LibriVox NaNoWriMo?
    During the month of November 2007, LibriVox volunteers write the serial novel The Yellow Sheet together, based on the guidelines of the National Novel Writing Month. Each volunteer writes one or more chapter (we do one chapter per day, so 30 chapters in total), and authors record their own chapters (on the day after they've written the chapter). At the end of the project, a novel of at least 50,000 words is released in text and audio form on the LibriVox catalogue. Please remember that both your writing and the recording wll be in the public domain. You can find our 2006 effort here.
  • Where do I sign up?
    Please sign up by posting in this thread (see magic window below for available chapters). You may sign up for more than one chapter, but they cannot be consecutive ones. - I will then PM you instructions on where to post the text etc.
  • How do I know what to write?
    This year's NaNoWriMo (at least this one; feel free to organise another novel!) will be written without any advance plotting - at least officially. Whoever signs up for chapter 1 gets the novel started. The next day, the writer of chapter 2 just picks up where the first chapter left off, and so forth. If you like, exchange plot ideas and ask questions in this brainstorming thread; however, it's up to each writer to take up suggestions or not.
  • Having said that, there are some rules!
  1. Each chapter should be at least 1,700 words long (if you can't quite manage, don't worry as some people will write longer chapters).
  2. The title of the novel is The Yellow Sheet. I just made that up, completely arbitrarily. It's the first thing that came into my head. It'll be interesting what or who the Yellow Sheet ends up being. :)
  3. No supernatural elements allowed - no aliens, no magic, no fantasy/sci-fi.
  4. The novel is set in the present time.
  5. The plot should be as plausible as possible as it develops, and the characters should be consistent. However, characters can die, also by hand of other characters.
  6. The novel will be exactly 30 chapters long. Chapter 30 should have some sort of conclusion/satisfying ending in keeping with previous chapters.
  7. It is each writer's responsibility to follow the plot, to finish his/her chapter on time, and to record it/have it recorded the next day. If for some reason you cannot make it, be sure to let us know as soon as possible so that someone else can jump in.
  • Where can I find the text/the recordings?
    Both text and recordings will be linked in the Notes field of the magic window below.
  • What about proof-reading and proof-listening?
    Please post if you'd be willing to proof-read a chapter and I'll sign you up. Writers should inform their proof-readers by PM when they've posted the chapter in the Google doc. When proof-readers have finished their corrections, they post in this thread so everyone knows the text is ready, and the next writer can begin his/her chapter.
    Links to completed recordings should be posted in this thread. Anyone can proof-listen and post the findings here (the recordings will usually between 10-20 minutes long).
Recordings: Please use these intros/outros:
Intro: "Chapter x of The Yellow Sheet. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. - The Yellow Sheet - the LibriVox NaNoWriMo project 2007. Chapter 1, written and recorded by x."

Outro: "End of chapter x."

After chapter 30, say in addition: "and end of The Yellow Sheet - the LibriVox NaNoWriMo project 2007."

Filenames: yellowsheet_##_nanowrimo07.mp3, where ## is your chapter number in two digits, e.g. yellowsheet_01_nanowrimo07.mp3

ID3 tags:
Title: Chapter ##
Artist: LibriVox NaNoWriMo 2007
Album: The Yellow Sheet

Magic Window:

BC Admin
Last edited by Gesine on January 22nd, 2008, 11:39 am, edited 11 times in total.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

May I have Chapter 24 please?

Really?? Not even a teeny-weeny alien? Awwww. Gosh Gesine, you're taking all the fun out of it.
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

ductapeguy wrote:May I have Chapter 24 please?

Really?? Not even a teeny-weeny alien? Awwww. Gosh Gesine, you're taking all the fun out of it.
You may! No aliens, regardless of size. I'm in my most teutonic mood today and it's all rules, rules, rules. ;)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I've signed you up, Sean, and I've added myself as your proof-reader.

Please note that anyone can sign up to proof-read!
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I've added a bullet point about proof-listening and proof-reading.

I can't make out why my last two bullets don't work properly; it's very vexing. :(
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Whoooohoo! Yay Gesine!!!! Though, I have to admit, I never finished reading last year's story hehe... I'm not quite ready to sign up for a chapter, but I'm here as a supporter until I am ready.

Over at Ravelry, we're doing NaKniSweMo ... Knit a sweater in the month of November.. I'm not sure yet if I can manage that either, but it's fun to dream =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

thistlechick wrote:Whoooohoo! Yay Gesine!!!! Though, I have to admit, I never finished reading last year's story hehe... I'm not quite ready to sign up for a chapter, but I'm here as a supporter until I am ready.

Over at Ravelry, we're doing NaKniSweMo ... Knit a sweater in the month of November.. I'm not sure yet if I can manage that either, but it's fun to dream =)
Oh Betsie, I do hope you will write at least one chapter! I much enjoyed your chapter last year.

LOL NaKniSweMo - excellent! Should be an excellent fit with listening to LV. :) Are you posting progress pics?
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Umm... Umm...

Tell me how you feel about this Robert. :oops:

This suddenly popped upon me unexpectedly. I thought it was going to be posted closer to the starting date, posted somewhere in mid-October. After being part of last year's project, I really, really, (is there an echo here?) wanted to jump start this year's project with Chapter 1, particularly as we started our brainstorming thread late last year —I mean well into the novel. I was hoping that we could start the brainstorming thread before we got started this time, and I was ready to weave those threads. In truth, we had to do a bit of doubling back, several, several (there is an echo here) when peoples unintentionally (?, ?) (drat that echo!) lost the main thread and injected things that later chapter writers had to justify, fenagle, write out in illogical ways, and etc. And so, I thought to construct a solid, essentially agreed-upon opening chapter that would allow all that followed to flow smoothly.

So, then, would it be okay if Cloud Mountain did Chapter 1?

[This note is to everyone, not just Robert.
How do folks feel about this and the other several things I've mentioned.
Please respond to brainstorming issues here: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10449

[As before, this current thread should probably be the mechanics thread
and this be the last mention of anything outside of the usual mechanics
of putting together any LV project. I'll start a new topic elsewhere
(Off-Topic, Off-Topic*) titled "Brainstorming The LibriVox NaNoWriMo 2007.]

Spontaneous as ever,

Alan

* There's def an echo/reverb here.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Robert Scott wrote:Cm ....

If ya wanna bump me its up to you ....

I am getting used to the Admin override !! :wink:
Whatever .... any of my other offers you would like to take up !! ?
Well, actually, this is a personal thing and I wish I could have posted it with nothing beneath my name, much as it looks now at the bottom of the page under "Topic View," which we all see when writing a post. Apologies. It's more of a from experience situation. Believe me it gets real crazy when you're up next and you're waiting for the next chapter and you have less than 24 hours to write your chapter and record/edit/and post it. That's hell alone. Add to that the communication time Skyping, phoning and PMing for ideas suggestions on how-in-heck to write something that's coherently part of the whole. It's exhilarating and, well, one of the looniest escapade I've ever joined in.

And so this offer of mine is, well... purely the gesture of a very large helping hand.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

I'm not particularly happy with your response, Robert —but will not be dragged into further exchange. You've turned this into something personal, which is way off the mark, and totally inappropriate for a pubic forum.

That said, before reading your edit, I came back to this thread to express a reconsideration: You should do Chapter 1. You were here first and it's only right that Chapter 1 is yours.
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Robert—

You take things too personally. Stop it!
When the time comes, write Chapter 1.
You'll do a great job.