[SOLO]兒女英雄傳 The Story of Hero Boys and Hero Girls by Wen-mas

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
tding

Post by tding »

兒女英雄傳 (The Story of Hero Boys and Hero Girls) by 康 (Kang) 文 (Wen) (1821 - 1850).
( )
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.angelibrary.com/oldies/hero_legend/index.html
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of 兒女英雄傳 (The Story of Hero Boys and Hero Girls). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "兒女英雄傳 (The Story of Hero Boys and Hero Girls), by 康 (Kang) 文 (Wen). [Section]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of 兒女英雄傳 (The Story of Hero Boys and Hero Girls) by 康 (Kang) 文 (Wen). This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Sectione]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of 兒女英雄傳 (The Story of Hero Boys and Hero Girls), by 康 (Kang) 文 (Wen). "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename heroboys_##_wen_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. heroboys_01_wen_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

6. Any questions?
    Please post below
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tina,

I'll get your MW set up!

MaryAnn
tding

Post by tding »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: December 20th, 2019, 9:09 pm Tina,

I'll get your MW set up!

MaryAnn
Thank you so much, MaryAnn. This book has 40 chapters. In addition, there's a preface written by Congshan Ma. There's also a prologue to the book. Should we have 42 sections, or should I put the Preface and the Prologue into one section?

Tina
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tina,

You can do it either way. Personally, I would put both the preface and prologue into section 0, so that the remaining section numbers matched the chapter numbers. But if the preface/prologue are long and deserving of separate sections, then you can do it that way. It's really a judgment call on your part.

MaryAnn
tding

Post by tding »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: December 31st, 2019, 10:22 am Tina,

You can do it either way. Personally, I would put both the preface and prologue into section 0, so that the remaining section numbers matched the chapter numbers. But if the preface/prologue are long and deserving of separate sections, then you can do it that way. It's really a judgment call on your part.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn, Happy New Year to you!

I like your idea of Section 0, followed by 40 additional sections. I'll update the magic window after refreshing my memory on how to navigate that part of the system. Now, how do I find a DPL?

Tina
tding

Post by tding »

MaryAnn,

I can't seem to login as BC Admin on the Management Tool page no matter what I tried. I clicked on the BC Admin hyperlink and then on Login as BC/MC. It would kick me back to the page saying that I don't have permission for this area. Did I forget to do something elsewhere?

Tina
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Things are set up correctly behind the scenes.

It's been a while since this happened, so I don't exactly remember what the trick was. Your login has expired, that's why you can't get in, but you need to get to the page to type in your password again, and I think that happens when you pick a non-obvious option.

Will this link get you to the login page?

https://librivox.org/auth/login

MaryAnn
tding

Post by tding »

MaryAnn,

I figured out what I did wrong, so I logged in ok. Two more questions -

1) How to find a DPL?
2) How to delete Section 41?

Thanks.

Tina
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Oh good!

I'll delete section 41.

We have a board to advertise for DPLs. Instructions are here: viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668 I'm happy to answer questions or help if you have any trouble.

MaryAnn
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Hi Tina!
I can DPL for your project if you still need one :)
Cheers,
Yuqing :D
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Yuqing,
You now have MW access.
MaryAnn
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: January 18th, 2020, 6:26 pm Yuqing,
You now have MW access.
MaryAnn
I'd really love to help out with this project. Thank you very much, MaryAnn!
Cheers,
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Section 00 - See PL Notes

Nicely read with a clear voice!

Could you rectify the pronunciation of the following words, please? Not a big issue actually, but it’ll be good to correct them!

They should be:

4:57 and 16:43 - 頗, in the 1st tone, but I heard the 3rd tone;
6:43 - 識, in 2nd tone, but I heard the 4th;
9:21 - 擁, in 1st tone, but I heard the 3rd;
12:42 - 爪 in 爪牙, read as “zhao,” but I heard “zhua”;
14:35 - 角 in 角力, read as “jue,” but I heard “jiao;”
24:23 - 究, in 1st tone, but I heard the 4th tone.

They are really minor errors and don't affect the overall quality of the recording much. :)

Well done, Tina!
Cheers,
tding

Post by tding »

YuqingJune wrote: January 19th, 2020, 1:54 am Section 00 - See PL Notes

Nicely read with a clear voice!

Could you rectify the pronunciation of the following words, please? Not a big issue actually, but it’ll be good to correct them!

They should be:

4:57 and 16:43 - 頗, in the 1st tone, but I heard the 3rd tone;
6:43 - 識, in 2nd tone, but I heard the 4th;
9:21 - 擁, in 1st tone, but I heard the 3rd;
12:42 - 爪 in 爪牙, read as “zhao,” but I heard “zhua”;
14:35 - 角 in 角力, read as “jue,” but I heard “jiao;”
24:23 - 究, in 1st tone, but I heard the 4th tone.

They are really minor errors and don't affect the overall quality of the recording much. :)

Well done, Tina!
Hello, Yuqing,

Such a pleasant surprise for Monday! I've got a DPL!! This is a long book - a long commitment. I myself have not read this novel before. So, besides enjoying this genre I don't usually get into, I also treat it as a project to develop my patience! Anyway, it's a great pleasure to meet you online and to be partners to make this audible book happen.

Thank you for the detailed listening. Before I get into the specifics you pointed out, I'd like to share with you my background and hope to reach a mutual understanding in handling pronunciations. I grew up in Taiwan, so I learned the traditional Chinese, including obviously pronunciations taught there. We all know that there are significant differences between the Traditional Chinese used in Taiwan and the Simplified Chinese used in Mainland China, which is fine. I've also noticed differences in pronunciations which I feel often pose no obstacles in understanding. A more drastic example is 垃圾, which I pronounce as le4 se4, not la1 ji1, but most other differences are just in tones, like you pointed out. For example, 企業 to me are both in the 4th tone, not qi3 ye4. Further confounding this situation a bit are characters with more than one pronunciation when used in different terms. We call them 破音字. That is a challenge.

With that being said, I truly appreciate the kind of detailed listening you did and the resulting input. I would not want anything changed, as it's also a valuable learning opportunity you afford me. I'd study every note and do research to make sure that I do not mis-pronounce 破音字. But, I also hope to get your understanding when I choose to use the pronunciations I learned in Taiwan.

Sorry for the long note. While feeling very happy that I found someone sharing a common interest, I don't want to get into a situation I had when reading 徬徨 by 魯迅. So, I choose to explain upfront. You're welcome to check out the conversations for that book at viewtopic.php?f=16&t=75321&start=15.

I will later review your feedback on section 00 and reply separately. Thank you very much, my new friend in Librivox.

Tina
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Hey Tina!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Don't get me wrong, though - I don't mean that you should refrain from speaking Mandarin the way you're accustomed to. By all means, please do! :clap:

If you find any of the suggestions unjust or unnecessary, feel free to point them out to me!
That'll help me more focused on highlighting possible edits that really matter. :)

Have a wonderful day ahead!
Cheers,