[COMPLETE][RELIGIOUS FIC]The Cloister and the Hearth by Charles Reade - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ej400

Post by ej400 »

zoebrookes wrote: December 21st, 2019, 3:38 pm I got feedback from the general test posting that I needed different export settings. Here's a revised test. On a mac, USB mic, set at 0.89

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_zoebrookes.mp3
Also, how would you like to be credited? I can set you up a reader page that will list all of your recordings.

Thank you!
zoebrookes

Post by zoebrookes »

I've had my test approved, so I'll go ahead and send in my chapters shortly. Please credit me as Zoe Brookes, thanks.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

zoebrookes wrote: January 5th, 2020, 9:44 am I've had my test approved, so I'll go ahead and send in my chapters shortly. Please credit me as Zoe Brookes, thanks.
That's terrific, Zoe. Welcome aboard. :) I'll stand by to PL. EJ should be able to update the MW soon, but I'm quite certain you're safe to record and upload your files, as you're marked down in the notes.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

zoebrookes wrote: January 5th, 2020, 9:44 am I've had my test approved, so I'll go ahead and send in my chapters shortly. Please credit me as Zoe Brookes, thanks.
I've updated the MW for Elijah for the time being.

Zoe, welcome aboard. Here is your fresh personal reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/13823
you can see all the projects listed here that you ever will participate in.

And now have fun recording. All the details for the correct intro/outro and filenaming are in the first post. :)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
zoebrookes

Post by zoebrookes »

I can do Section 4 also. Just about to upload the first 3.
zoebrookes

Post by zoebrookes »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/cloisterandthehearth_001_reade_128kb.mp3

Just uploaded my first chapter. I hope this works! Chapters 2,3 and 4 are all ready to go - I just need to add the Librivox blurb on the front. It would help to know that this has been satisfactorily accepted before I post the others.

Zoe
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

zoebrookes wrote: January 12th, 2020, 1:15 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/cloisterandthehearth_001_reade_128kb.mp3

Just uploaded my first chapter. I hope this works! Chapters 2,3 and 4 are all ready to go - I just need to add the Librivox blurb on the front. It would help to know that this has been satisfactorily accepted before I post the others.

Zoe
Hi, Zoe!

I downloaded your file so I could take a look and a listen for you. (normally we PLs wait for the file to be placed in the MW by the coordinator) To start with, you did upload it correctly, with a good file name. (Many of the later chapters in this project are split in two, so if you read chapters further down the list, make certain you triple-check the section number that goes with that chapter!)

You have a very nice reading style. I love your inflections.

Checker passes this recording with warnings - Namely, your technical specs are all great, but the volume is flagged as a little too loud.

Once open in Audacity (that's what I use, so I hope it matches what you use, as I'm not familiar with other programs) - I can see that your recording has sections that spike louder than the normal flow of conversation. The whole LibriVox intro does this, and then some spots of dialogue do. This is SUPER common in my recordings when I am either putting on a character voice or doing a yelling/urgent line. Look at the section from time stamp 6:43 - 6:55. See how the waves are going all the way to the top and bottom of the field? You can tell just by looking that this section will get flagged by Checker. Almost always, you can fix such spots with the "Amplify" effect. Simply place the mouse in front of that section, click and drag to highlight it, and then pull down the "Effects" menu - click on Amplify. The top box will have a highlighted number in it. I always just type -1 and hit OK. Sometimes that is enough to bring the volume down sufficiently. Other times, it needs a repeat or two of the action (with the area highlighted, just push control-R, and it will repeat whatever editing action you last did). You'll need to "neg-amp" the LibriVox intro, and there are several places of dialogue throughout the recording that will need it as well. I wouldn't just highlight the entire recording track (which you can do by pushing control-A) and neg-amp the whole thing, because there are a lot of softer stretches that you'll want to keep at the volume they currently have.

You'll find yourself getting more and more comfortable at keeping the side of your eye aware of what the recording track is doing while you're reading (I keep the screen split between my reading page and the Audacity track) - and so you can repeat a line right away if you need to (and later cut out the one you didn't want to keep). In fact, I just barely did that in my Cedric recording, when I couldn't get a Sir Gilroy's shouted lines to behave nicely at first! :lol:

The volume fixes is the only thing you really need to fix in this chapter.

If you like to get feedback on purely optional things: You may want to shorten some of the longer pauses. Once in a while, between paragraphs, they feel a little long. Also, if you want to remove mouth clicks in empty spaces (I *always* get these in front of or behind words starting with certain letters, and sometimes in the middle of pauses) - it is easy to cut them out without messing up your timing if you zoom in on the track. They're easy to see, too, when you're editing - they make perpendicular tick marks across the flat line in the track. Sometimes I get these clicks inside a word (Ls will do that to me) - but 99% of the time, it's better to leave those than to try removing them.

You are going to be terrific reader for LibriVox!! I'm excited to see you coming on board.

(I only ran the first 10 minutes of the file - why don't you go through and neg-amp the areas where the volume is too big, and if you want to clip out clicks and long pauses. Then, re-export the file to the same name, and re-upload it. copy/paste the new link and time into a discussion post, and I'll look at the new file again.)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

LCaulkins wrote: January 12th, 2020, 2:10 pmI downloaded your file so I could take a look and a listen for you. (normally we PLs wait for the file to be placed in the MW by the coordinator)
Lynette, I can explain why it is essential to download the link from the MW and not from the reader's post ! We need to make sure that what is in the MW in the end is the correct file. If you download from the link in the post and it's PL ok, and afterwards we make some mistake to paste it in the MW (it has happened), then the link in the MW will be faulty and you wouldn't have noticed. That's why it is necessary always to download from the MW.

Since Elijah is very busy these days, I now put the link in the MW and marked it Ready for PL. I take it though, you want Zoe to have a bit of a preliminary editing before doing a final PL. That is wise, that way the work is not made double.

You can also copy/paste the link in the MW yourself, that way you can download from there. You don't have to wait for the BC to do it, if he is absent for a few days and you want to PL. :) I am sure, Elijah is grateful for the help.

Thanks

Sonia
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thanks so much, Sonia! It's good to know that its OK for me to paste a file into the MW with this work cap on. I wanted a brand new reader to have a quick turnaround for desired feedback, so I was willing to take a hit in double work if what you're describing happened. But now I know that can be avoided. :)
~Lynette * -
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

LCaulkins wrote: January 15th, 2020, 2:14 amThanks so much, Sonia! It's good to know that its OK for me to paste a file into the MW with this work cap on.
yes it depends on the BC and how much he wants to share the work. So every BC will be different. In this case, where the BC is absent for some days I think it is in the interest of all involved that you can deal with the MW links yourself.
I wanted a brand new reader to have a quick turnaround for desired feedback
:thumbs: I absolutely agree that it's important to give newbies as quick as possible feedback. You did well.

thank you for the great work here :9:

Sonia
zoebrookes

Post by zoebrookes »

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure I got all the back and forth about Lynette's work, but I'm assuming it's not important for me to understand. I'm going to do some rework on Chapter 1, per Lynette's suggestions, then repost.
zoebrookes

Post by zoebrookes »

zoebrookes

Post by zoebrookes »