Help finding a microphone

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Hi everyone,
I've been wanting a new microphone for about a year now (ever since my Logitech headset broke after two months.) Preferably I'd want something under $100 (I have about $50 on hand right now but if I need to save for a little while to get a really good one, I'd be willing to do that). I need something that I can sing into, because my current clip-on one makes the decibel levels spike if I hit a note too loudly and then all that's audible is a sort of static... it just doesn't sound good. The reason I need a good one is because I recently started a YouTube channel that I would like to post covers of songs on, and I'd like a good microphone for that. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've heard that Blue Yeti is good and I know that there was a similar thread about which microphones are good... I just can't find it (I've done some advanced searches.) Can anybody provide some information? I do want as professional-quality type as possible- but not too expensive.

Thanks and God bless!

Rachel
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Doing a quick search of the Amazon catalog, I found this product that does look pretty good:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y1C6GDS/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
I'm not entirely sure where to begin looking though, this is my first time buying a microphone.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Rachel,

What you've found is a USB microphone, which connects to a USB port of your computer. (I am not sure you want the whole "scissor arm" to go with it, though. Eventually, maybe, if you have somewhere to mount it.)

What paulbrianstewart says he has, is a condenser (similar to what you've found), but it cannot be connected directly to a computer, it needs another piece of hardware. If you're new to dealing with audio recording equipment, I'd strongly recommend to limit your searches to USB microphones.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
paulbrianstewart

Post by paulbrianstewart »

Yes, good catch, I did forget to add that point.

My complete set up
Specifications:
PC - Linux Ubuntu Mint 18
Software: Audacity
Mic: MX1 Condenser using Focusrite Scarlet Solo (with Kaotica Eyeball cover)

Hope that helps
Paul S
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thank you for the replies.
I think, looking at tovarisch’s post, that a USB port microphone would be a better idea (I’m not very good at figuring out technical things). Thank you, though, Paulβ€” I will also look further into your microphone recommendation and find out more about it.
Thank you both! :wink:
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Did you see this? viewtopic.php?f=25&t=77540

I don’t know mic qualities AT ALL, but I expect it’s worthy of mentioning at least. There again, shipping to your galaxy might break the budget. :wink:
~Rosebud
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Of the many forum discussions on microphone selection, this may be the most recent and extensive: viewtopic.php?t=69485.

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

RSlabaugh wrote: ↑January 3rd, 2020, 8:48 am Did you see this? viewtopic.php?f=25&t=77540

I don’t know mic qualities AT ALL, but I expect it’s worthy of mentioning at least. There again, shipping to your galaxy might break the budget. :wink:
I just saw this now...looks like it's already taken though. But thank you for the link, I'll look into more Blue Snowball types of microphones! :wink:
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

k5hsj wrote: ↑January 3rd, 2020, 1:05 pm Of the many forum discussions on microphone selection, this may be the most recent and extensive: viewtopic.php?t=69485.

Winston
Yes! This is the thread I was looking for! Thank you very much! :clap:
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Wow, that looks like a very nice one, and probably a good value. Will you let us know how you like it, after you've had a chance to use it? I'd be interested.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

mightyfelix wrote: ↑January 8th, 2020, 10:23 pm Wow, that looks like a very nice one, and probably a good value. Will you let us know how you like it, after you've had a chance to use it? I'd be interested.
Sure! It arrives tomorrow, fingers crossed it's a good one :wink:
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

It's arrived!
I did a test with it right now... recording volume is only at 0.25% so if I need it louder I can easily boost that. The recording is the raw file, save for a slight stumble I edited out :wink: I think noise reduction is excellent (my mom was unboxing and cleaning her new toaster oven in the kitchen right next to the computer, that's what the [minimal] background noise was.) Here's the first recording I've done with it (I thought it would be better classified as a nonproject, since it isn't exactly a "real" test):
https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/uhurumictest.mp3
Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how it sounds. Tell me what you guys think. I'm excited to be using this just in time for the start of my YouTube channel, and for better-quality recordings here on LibriVox!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

JayKitty76 wrote: ↑January 10th, 2020, 8:48 pm It's arrived!
I did a test with it right now... recording volume is only at 0.25% so if I need it louder I can easily boost that. The recording is the raw file, save for a slight stumble I edited out :wink: I think noise reduction is excellent (my mom was unboxing and cleaning her new toaster oven in the kitchen right next to the computer, that's what the [minimal] background noise was.) Here's the first recording I've done with it (I thought it would be better classified as a nonproject, since it isn't exactly a "real" test):
https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/uhurumictest.mp3
Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how it sounds. Tell me what you guys think. I'm excited to be using this just in time for the start of my YouTube channel, and for better-quality recordings here on LibriVox!
Hey! It's nice! Volume is low, but the sound is nice and clear and smooth. Your mom's performance on the toaster oven was pretty good too!