COMPLETE[SOLO] The Life of Thomas, Lord Cochrane: Completing the "Autobiography of a seaman". Vol2-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

OK. Ta.

Barbara
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

PL OK.

I'm reading a bio. of Samuel Pepys (famous as a naval administrator, of course, as well as a diarist). In those fleet battles in the Anglo-Dutch war where the fleets just bombarded one another for days - 4 days I recall of one battle - till 5,000 or 6,000 had been killed in each fleet. The ships were "floating abbatoirs".

So I take Cochrane's point about gunboats.

Best,

Barbara
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

I recall reading Pepys's Diary, but it was just a short excerpt: mostly about his domestic relationships, and where he buried his cheese. 8)

Cochrane does seem to have come up with the idea of a swarm of patrol boats. It also reminds me of the swarm of zodiacs used in piracy in some places.

Section 10 is a problem one. Basically I had headphones on while recording and didn't realise that my cats and children were bleeding into the recording. I've tidied it up a lot, but if there's a random piratical yell, scooter thump or sound of a cat patiently lifting and dropping the edge of a piece of cardboard to sharpen her claws, can you tell me if it's too distracting? 8)

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_10_bourne_128kb.mp3
25:09
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
Timothy Ferguson

So, this is a weird one...

I don't remember editing these. I presume I must have sat down to edit, worked out that 10 was a mess, and tidied up these two instead. They have all of the markers cut out, end at exact seconds, and have had their noise reduced, so either I did these a while back or I have the cyber equivalent of a household brownie, doing my chores....

15:34
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_11_bourne_128kb.mp3

26:31
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_12_bourne_128kb.mp3
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 8:35 pm I recall reading Pepys's Diary, but it was just a short excerpt: mostly about his domestic relationships, and where he buried his cheese. 8)

Cochrane does seem to have come up with the idea of a swarm of patrol boats. It also reminds me of the swarm of zodiacs used in piracy in some places.

Section 10 is a problem one. Basically I had headphones on while recording and didn't realise that my cats and children were bleeding into the recording. I've tidied it up a lot, but if there's a random piratical yell, scooter thump or sound of a cat patiently lifting and dropping the edge of a piece of cardboard to sharpen her claws, can you tell me if it's too distracting? 8)

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_10_bourne_128kb.mp3
Thanks, Timothy, let's see if you managed to repel boarders.

Best,

Barbara
Timothy Ferguson

So,...you may have thought Cochrane could do long sentences, but in this chapter, just when you think its over, you get a valedictory poem!

We don't do them anymore, for some really good reasons. 8)

Basically, beware the poet at the end. 8)

42:25
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_14_bourne_128kb.mp3
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 8:35 pm

Hey, I heard no cats or children. I'm only marking it PL Notes because you accidentally edited out two words at 11:07.5, viz. "on favour", and the cut is noticeable. If you can't find the deleted words littering your hard drive, let me know if you think they are not important enough to bother about and I'll mark Section 2_10 PL OK.

What a relief that our hero lived long enough to see himself publicly justified.

Best,

Barbara
Timothy Ferguson

Hi,

This last file failed validation in the LV Checker because it is longer than 60 minutes, but I thought we were allowed a maximum of 72 minutes?

1:01:15
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_15_bourne_128kb.mp3

This appendix is a series of letters to Lord Cochrane from one of his captains in the Greek campaign. If it is kept intact, it's the last file. There's a spare section in the MW because I thought it would go over long and need to be split.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi,
The length limit is to make sure the recording will fit on a CD. This one will be okay. I don't think it will cause an issue when it is cataloged.
Cheers,
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Section 11 is PL OK. Lord Auckland's letters probably made for easier reading than our hero's.

Best,

Barbara
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Section 12 is also PL OK.

I enjoyed the observations of the Newfoundland rocks. In one of my next incarnations I'll be coming back as a geologist and I'll be able to do hard sums etc.... I wanted to search and verify what I remembered reading about Newfoundland and Scotland being contiguous before the Atlantic opened.

But the ******* nbn kicked me off again.

Sigh,

Barbara
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy, where is Section 13?

Perhaps there are only 14 sections in all instead of 15?

Best,

Barbara
Timothy Ferguson

barbara2 wrote: January 9th, 2020, 3:17 am Timothy, where is Section 13?

Perhaps there are only 14 sections in all instead of 15?

Best,

Barbara
Ah, no, this would be further brain-fade on my part. You may recall that I do not remember editing 11 and 12? I don't recall editing 13 either. I must have been really tired when I did them...

Section 13 is a nice short one...
11:15
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_13_bourne_128kb.mp3

I've edited the MW. I was sure I had left two slots for the appendix, but clearly I haven't (shrugs). I really must start going to bed at a sensible hour...

I've also noticed I uploaded two of the chapters in the wrong order, but I'll fix it when I spot-repair the one you've found missing words in.
Timothy Ferguson

Hi!

I've added the missing words to this one back in. It changes the length to 25:10

Also, I've moved it one slot down in the MW: I had 9 and 10 backwards. 8)
barbara2 wrote: January 6th, 2020, 3:31 am
Hey, I heard no cats or children. I'm only marking it PL Notes because you accidentally edited out two words at 11:07.5, viz. "on favour", and the cut is noticeable. If you can't find the deleted words littering your hard drive, let me know if you think they are not important enough to bother about and I'll mark Section 2_10 PL OK.

What a relief that our hero lived long enough to see himself publicly justified.

Best,

Barbara
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: January 9th, 2020, 4:56 am

Section 13 is a nice short one...
11:15
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_13_bourne_128kb.mp3
PL OK. Cochrane was onto something with the bitumen...

Best,

Barbara