Anybody want to sleuth? Looking for a text

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

I am looking for an English translation of a Catholic encyclical for a project I am working on setting up.

I can't find it anywhere from a usable place. The Vatican website and the Papalencyclicals.net website are off limits because of not knowing where the translations came from/if they are copyrighted.

I've been using this reference book - https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001179866 - to locate all the rest so far, as it gives periodicals names, dates and pages to find the translations. This one is coming up empty though. It only says where extracts of it are in English, but not the full text.

I need to find it from 1924 or before. I am even willing to pay a reasonable price if someone can find a pre-1925 hard copy in English. (I even looked at inter-library loan)

Anyway, the one I need is:
Il Fermo Proposito (On Catholic Action in Italy) June 11, 1905 by Pope St Pius X

I don't want anyone to spend a bunch of time on it ~ I've already looked for quite a while. Just thought I would ask as a last resort! You never know what someone else might come up with! :-)

Thanks!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

There are quite a few books on abebooks with the key phrase, "Il Fermo Proposito" and a date of 1905 and nearby ... and not particularly expensive. Have you looked there?

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Peter,

I've looked on similar sites, and I just looked on there now. The problem is that they are generally in Latin (or Italian, as this particular one was addressed specifically to Italy).

Finding it in English is the problem...

Thanks for looking!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Oh, I'm sorry; I'd read your need for an English text, but it didn't sink in.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'm not one to give up, but I think this is going to be a difficult find. One might have to rely upon, or settle for, just the excerpts found in English.
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Thanks, Peter ~ I appreciate you looking!

Yes, I agree, Kevin. I don't think we will find it at this point, but I thought I might as well ask in case I missed something obvious, or someone is a better sleuth then me! :-)

I think it will probably have to be skipped all together. I can't even locate the excerpts, as the volume of The Tablet that it is in is not on Hathi or anywhere else I can find. Hathi has a ton of volumes, but it stops a year or so before this one, and picks back up a few years after....
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks