[COMPLETE] The Master of Mysteries by Gelett Burgess - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mboff

Post by mboff »

Got it thank you very much for the feedback and suggestions! I will continue to work on it!
-Matthew Boff-
mboff

Post by mboff »

Section 2, Missing John Hudson
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/masterofmysteries_02_burgess_128kb.mp3
File Duration: 34:05
-Matthew Boff-
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ah, better pacing. :) PL OK!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
mboff

Post by mboff »

Wooo! I can get section 3 now if that's alright.
-Matthew Boff-
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yep, no problem! :)
mboff

Post by mboff »

Awesome, I'll work on it ASAP!
-Matthew Boff-
NeoAnglo

Post by NeoAnglo »

Hello everyone, I really should post an introduction but I am very eager and excited to get started so I suppose that shall have to wait!

I would like to volunteer to read chapters 4 to 8, I have experience with the technical side of recording so this shouldn't be a concern ^~^
I'm happy to produce a recording for chapter 4 first, just to learn and make sure I get everything right!

Thanks.

-N.A.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

I'll pencil you in for 4-8. To ink you in, I need to know how you would like to be credited in the catalog. There are places for a catalog name (some use a nickname or forum name, some their real name) and a link to a personal web site or blog, if you have one. I recommend using whatever name you say (if any) when you say, "recorded by [your name]" as that's how listeners will look for you. (Keep in mind that prospective employers, classmates, enemies, etc. can also find you using the catalog name, so be cautious if privacy might be an issue.)

Please do upload just a portion (1-2 minutes) of the recording first as a technical test before recording the whole thing. Or - as explained in your welcome email - please do the 1-minute test, which is essentially the same thing. :) Not that I doubt your ability to get the tech settings right, but that it's surprising how many people say they can do the tech part just fine, then end up... not. ;)

Thanks!
NeoAnglo

Post by NeoAnglo »

I should have clarified haha.

If you could pencil in my forum name NeoAnglo. My website is currently under construction and is not available to the public yet but shall be released towards the end of this month I reckon. It is a generally safe-for-work political advocacy/media site, I had a look for rules on this but couldn't find any, so it can be omitted if the controversial subject matter would be a sticking point. You can find it at whiteamericanmedia.com

I used uploader on TriciaG for a little Mic test I did yesterday. The reading has a little vocal error or two in it and I'm aware of that, it was done solely for the purpose of getting my processing right ;P

EDIT:

I fixed the issue with my browser, the file is here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/Snowball_Booth_v2.1_Sherlock_Holmes_Reading_.mp3

I understand that in my pilot recording of chapter 4 it should be 128kbps with the librivox intro and 5 seconds of silence at the end correct? I shall also make sure to match the volume closely to that of the other narrators. Am I missing anything?

Also, is this an appropriate source to use:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Master_of_Mysteries

- N.A.
Last edited by NeoAnglo on January 13th, 2020, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That string is not normal. You should get a straight URL rather than regular expressions.

However, I did find the file in my folder. It sounds great! Two things to adjust:

1. Volume is a tad low. Amplifying all by 2-3 dB (or adjusting it so your volume is 2-3 dB higher) will take care of it.

2. The bit rate is 192 kbps rather than 128 kbps. This is set when exporting to MP3.

If you're confident to adjust these, you don't need to upload another little test. :) You can head straight to recording these sections. If you want a second look at the tech settings, let me know with another little test.

I'm running to the dentist now. I'll work on the rest of your post later.
NeoAnglo

Post by NeoAnglo »

I made my edit before your response haha.

Ok, it looks like we're on the same page so far. You say that the recording is too quiet but it seems louder to my ears in a direct comparison than mboff's.
It would be impossible for me to raise the volume of my recording higher without introducing clipping.

- N.A.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Mboff's section 2 is on the quiet side, too. :) It'll be adjusted at cataloging time. Yours and his measure 86.5/86.7 using MP3Gain. We aim for 89, with 86 being about the lowest we want. So bumping it up 2-3 dB wou.dn't hurt.

When I imported your file into Audacity, it showed I could amplify by over 3 dB without clipping. Do you show something different?

Since the volume is in the acceptable range, you don't have to change it; I was giving you instruction for ideal volume. :)

Please use the text linked in the first post. We don't know if there were any changes made to other sources. Thanks!
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

CLAIM SECTIONS 23, 24 AND 25 PLEASE.
Signature: KATHLEEN
NeoAnglo

Post by NeoAnglo »

Hey, I got around to doing the first recording.

It was much more difficult than I anticipated, what with basic equations and trying to impersonate an Italian with broken english!
I'm not sure I can do the Italian segment that well lol. Took me a good few takes, I kinda cringe at it but maybe it's ok.
Let me know what you think ^~^

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/masterofmysteries_04_burgess_128kb.mp3

- N.A.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks for the claim, Kathleen!

NeoAnglo - thanks for the section! I've got work to do today, so hopefully I will listen to it tonight. :)