Multilingual Collections

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Sorry if this is explained elsewhere. If it is, I could not find it.

I would like to start a modest multilingual collection but don't know how to address the issue of PLing all the texts. Does one drop a submission if a PLer cannot be found within a certain period of time?

I'd like to think this problem wouldn't occur with all the abilities are members have, but I would hate to be left not knowing what to do with a reading in Ancient Greek or something of that nature.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We have never rejected a submission because we could not find a PLer.

Anne
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

I’ve PLed sections where I encountered languages that I don’t know. Sometimes I’ll follow with the text to watch for stumbles or repeats (provides the language is similar enough to one I do know), or I’ll just listen and make sure it sounds flowing. However, that was only small paragraphs stuck in here and there, not entire sections. (Should I have asked for assistance with those?) It does make it more worthwhile if you understand what’s being said, though!

I’m guessing there’ll usually be at least one more person on board that could listen. If not, the reader could possibly find a friend who was willing to sign up and PL his section. “If there’s a will, there’s a way!” *smile*
~Rosebud
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: January 5th, 2020, 1:54 pm We have never rejected a submission because we could not find a PLer.

Anne
RSlabaugh wrote: January 5th, 2020, 2:12 pm I’ve PLed sections where I encountered languages that I don’t know. Sometimes I’ll follow with the text to watch for stumbles or repeats (provides the language is similar enough to one I do know), or I’ll just listen and make sure it sounds flowing. However, that was only small paragraphs stuck in here and there, not entire sections. (Should I have asked for assistance with those?) It does make it more worthwhile if you understand what’s being said, though!

I’m guessing there’ll usually be at least one more person on board that could listen. If not, the reader could possibly find a friend who was willing to sign up and PL his section. “If there’s a will, there’s a way!” *smile*
This is great to know! Thank you both!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

And of course, it's always a good idea to post in Listeners Wanted and specify the language in the subject line. :wink:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Perhaps my wording was not quite clear .
The question was do we reject languages that are difficult to obtain normal PLing
The answer is no - Difficulty in PLing or cataloguing or anything that makes life more difficult for the BC and MC are not reasons to reject a contribution.
However they are the most difficult and are probably best left to the standard collections and "special" ones like Christmas and Anniversary ones.

Anne