[COMPLETE]A Guide to the Lakes by Thomas West - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

A Guide to the Lakes by Thomas West (1720 - 1779).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/guide-to-lakes-by-thomas-west/

In the late eighteenth century, English writers discovered the landscape, not only in the paintings of Claude Lorrain, Nicolas Poussin and Salvator Rosa, but also as a place to be visited and viewed as if it were a picture. No part of England was more discovered in this period than the Lake District, which was transformed over the course of the next century from a remote region of farmland and inaccessible hills into a wild and romantic landscape of picturesque lake and mountain, described in works such as Thomas West’s A guide to the Lakes (1778). West’s predecessors – Thomas Gray, Arthur Young, Thomas Pennant and William Hutchinson –had merely passed through the Lakes. West, a resident of the Lakes, took the reader on a tour of the district as a whole, visiting all the lakes, with the sole exception of Wastwater. A devotee of the Claude glass – a convex, tinted mirror in which the landscape appears as it might in a painting by Lorrain – West follows and improves upon Gray’s technique of identifying ‘stations’ from which the landscape would appear at its most picturesque. West’s guide remains something of a hybrid, however, with its lengthy antiquarian descriptions of the surrounding towns of Lancaster, Penrith and Kendal. (Phil Benson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/cu31924102774282/page/n7
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: 8c8f1xjd

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Thomas West) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_West_(priest)

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 14
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1778
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of A Guide to the Lakes. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of A Guide to the Lakes by Thomas West. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename guidetothelakes_##_west_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. guidetothelakes_01_west_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is:annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by eggs4ears on January 4th, 2020, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

All chapters ready to upload - Annise will MC and Newgatenovelist will DPL. Some notes for PL in the following message.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Erin, This one is a bit tricky because of the number of printing errors and alternative spellings of personal and place names. Some notes...

Pages 3-4 are missing from the IA scan and I have read them from the second edition - https://archive.org/details/guidetolakesincu00west/page/4

There is a list of errata at the end of the book and they may account for some differences with the text. I’ve tended to read place names as they are written, but sometimes used the modern name if the difference is small.

Chapter 2. 17:58 Hesham Point is probably and error for Heysham Point, but there are one or two other places around that area called Hesham, so I have left it as is.

Chapter 5. 9:45 Cachidecam. I’ve no idea how to pronounce this but the modern name is Catstye Cam, so I’ve done something similar to that.

Chapter 6. 10:45 – ‘All Borrowdale…’ The omission here is a deletion from the errata

Chapter 6 p.117 l. 21 vegetating for variegating - I missed this one and will add it in after PL

Chapter 13 - He seems to have got into a muddle over Strickland and Stirckland. There is one erratum that doesn't really account for all the uses. They are both valid versions of the same name and I guess it changed from Stirkland to Strickland over the generations. I assume they are pronounced differently, as well as spelled differently, so I have used both but tried to be consistent so that each generation has the same pronunciation.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All set up I think - have fun :D

Anne

it would be better to have the text link to the beginning?
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Changed. Thanks for noticing that!
annise wrote: January 4th, 2020, 5:07 pm it would be better to have the text link to the beginning?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

eggs4ears,
Your project drew my eye, as I'm going up to the Lake District at least twice this year.

However, to my eyes, all your sound files have the same name, which means that the last one uploaded will be the only accessible one, as it will have displaced all the preceding files (they're relabelled internally, rather than being overwritten). You'll need to change the section/chapter number for each one and re-upload so they can be PL's and processed separately.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks for pointing that out, Peter, I have corrected the mistake! The files are okay and correctly numbered in the MW - it was just a mistake in the forum message.

I'd be interested to know if this guide book still 'works'. I suspect that it most of it will. But, of course, in those days nobody walked in the Lakes, so most of the viewpoints are probably from roads. A year or so ago I recorded a similar guide, following it around the Lakes and recording 'on site'. It also followed the roads, which was convenient as it was a snowy Easter!

https://librivox.org/excursion-lakes-westmoreland-cumberland-by-william-hutchinson/
Peter Why wrote: January 5th, 2020, 3:43 pm eggs4ears,
Your project drew my eye, as I'm going up to the Lake District at least twice this year.

However, to my eyes, all your sound files have the same name, which means that the last one uploaded will be the only accessible one, as it will have displaced all the preceding files (they're relabelled internally, rather than being overwritten). You'll need to change the section/chapter number for each one and re-upload so they can be PL's and processed separately.

Peter
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Checking in! This looks good. I'm keen to hear what this particular author had to say.

Peter, I'm biased but the book Phil linked to is worth listening to.

Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

Section 1 is PL OK. I know you said this project has a few tricky bits to it, but that's one already out of the way, without even breaking a sweat!

By the way, the cover of this book is glorious.
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Newgatenovelist wrote: January 12th, 2020, 12:50 pm By the way, the cover of this book is glorious.
Yes, I wonder if it was the original or added later?

Incidentally, you may know of this already, but just in case.... The book is part of Cornell's 'Wordsworth Collection' on Internet Archive. It is a bit of odd collection - and not that much by or about Wordsworth in it - but there is some interesting stuff to browse.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Wordsworth+Collection%22
Newgatenovelist

I forgot to say with the last section that it's good the process of viewing the scenery through a mirror is described so thoroughly. If some listeners come to this book for the region but haven't had their noses in 18th-century history recently, that will be less perplexing now!

I didn't know about the Wordsworth Collection, though that is interesting. It doesn't have to be big, just full of cool stuff, and it looks like this possesses that quality!

Notes for section 2:

30.41-30.44, p. 40 middle para
…through which a hasty brook rolls its murmuring stream [heard steam]…

32.13-32.23, bottom third p. 41, self-correction
In the middle space lies a procumbent figure of a man in armour, cross legged, in the place- cross legged, in the place where the first barons of Kendal lie interred.

36.27-36.30, bottom third p. 44, false start
…across this- across this expanse of sea…

36.32-36.35, bottom third p. 44, omission
…and Lancaster town and cas[tle is perceived] in a fine point…
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

One note for section 3:

6.56-6.59, first half first para, p. 54
…appear now awful from their sable [heard fable] hue…
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

A couple of short notes for section 4. I thought some of these descriptions were so enraptured that it really did sound like Blake's England's green and pleasant land, but then came the description of how some of it had been spoiled through landscaping. I guess the grass is always greener in the generation before your own!

2.37-2.44, bottom p. 60, repetition
…give a sable hue to that part of the lake. give a sable hue to that part of the lake.

6.18, first sentence last para p. 63, omission
…speaks in rapture, [and Mr. Pennant has done it much honour by his description.] But alas! it is no more to be seen…
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

Section 5 is PL OK. I'm looking forward to hearing about the 'druid temple'!
Off LV 25-28 March.