[COMPLETE] The Endeavour Journal of Sir Joseph Banks by Joseph Banks - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Anne and David --

Here is a rather nerdy question.

Starting from October, Banks starts adding Mss as the taxonomic authority after some species names. What I think is going on is that he is citing himself, possibly even this manuscript.

For example: "This morn calm; went out in the boat and took what is calld by the Seamen a Portugese man of war, Holothuria Physalis Linn; also Medusa velella L., onidium spinosum Mss, Diodon Erinaceus Mss, dagysa vitrea Mss, Helix Janthina Linn,--violacea Mss and procellaria Oceanica Mss."

I am inclined to just read "M s s" (as the Journal reads) but could instead say "Banks". For Dagysa vitrea for example, Banks is the correct authority. Maybe it doesn't matter....

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I vote for Mss.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

Thanks for the opinion on Mss. That is what I have used -- but it is confusing (as in - what taxonomic authority is Mss?).

Section 3 has been uploaded. I had to re-record a number of bits and I hope that I didn't produce any duplications when doing so. I did re-listen to those parts. Trouble areas might be in the 17-18 minutes region, and from approx. 21:53 to the end -- or maybe everywhere else since I only listened to most one time.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_03_banks_128kb.mp3
23:02.0, 88.9 dB

Cheers, and thanks for listening.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Will listen to this in the morning. NZ is definitely in the news here.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Yeah. I called my Mum and she was glad to hear from me. She didn’t realise White Island is far from Chch. We have more respect for geology than to wander around on an active volcano although it doesn’t stop us from walking around the alpine fault line, which is overdue. Perhaps that’s a bit silly.

No hurry. Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

3 PL OK.

Yeah, we all do things that in hindsight look a lot more dangerous than they did at the time we did them.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi David --

Going slowly, but here is Section 04.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_04_banks_128kb.mp3
26:45.4, 88.5 dB

Best of the season to you. My Chicago spies tell me it has been warm...

Cheers, and thanks for listening.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

4 PL OK.

A busy time for all. Visiting family in Florida...almost 80 degrees.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi David --

Here is Section 05.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_05_banks_128kb.mp3
36:39.7, 88.8 dB

I hope it is OK.

Florida -- beach or inland? Golf or sand -- or alligators... ??? Some years ago my Dad had a house inland near a small state park (Highlands Hammock) that was full of alligators. One late evening, just on dark, sitting on their "lanai" (screened in porch) he reckons that they saw a florida panther walk by. Big cat anyway. They also got alligators in the water hazards on the golf course, and bear prints in the sand traps... Interesting place (in places), Florida. Any Everglade trips? More fun/less adventure with GPS now?

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

5 PL OK.

Beach, sand, lots of blue herons and an occasional dolphin. Once (not this trip) I got out of a pool and there was a gator on the other side of the fence. And I had thought the fence was to keep unaccompanied kids out of the pool. The Florida panther is not doing well. They have introduced Texas panthers because of inbreeding problems but the numbers are still quite small (100s). No side trips this year. Just visiting family and friends.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Anne --

The Bushfire news is just terrible tonight. Thinking of you and hoping that you and your family and friends are out of harm's way, and well.

Cheers

Gail

PS. A couple of days later. You have been sharing the love (smoke really) with your across-the-Tasman neighbours -- not that we are complaining. Added a bit of glow to the sky and it wasn't too bad, and probably helped ramp up our compassion. I am glad that NZ is helping out with a few more firefighters, although I don't think any from our local volunteer brigade are headed your way at present.
Last edited by gailtv on January 3rd, 2020, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
instagram
#gailtv.art
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi David -

Here is Section 06. Part 1 of January 1769.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_06_banks_128kb.mp3
26:37.3, 88.1 dB

A bit more (mis)adventure than the previous sections. Have you been to Tierra del Fuego? You seem to be so well travelled.....

Thanks for listening.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

6 PL OK.

Amazingly I've never been to South America.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

craigdav1 wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 8:59 pm 6 PL OK.

Amazingly I've never been to South America.
Amazingly -- I have -- but it was a work trip and there is a long story around it not suitable for a public forum.

But did you marvel at how little they seemed to know about hypothermia? [although I used to take wee Brownies out for winter hikes in Indiana and I knew nothing about hypothermia at the time .. a long time ago .... speaking of things we did and would think twice about now... all good though.]

Also, I wondered how much it might seem like untracked Alaska??? Certainly sounds similar to the sub-Antarctic islands with their stunted horizontal rata trees/bushes.

Thanks for listening.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

gailtv wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 9:09 pm Also, I wondered how much it might seem like untracked Alaska??? Certainly sounds similar to the sub-Antarctic islands with their stunted horizontal rata trees/bushes.
Yes, the narrative did remind me of Denali though we were at least with someone who knew where they/we were going. Doing the 8-hour hikes we did in winter is beyond my comprehension. The wolves would have made short work of us. The brief mention of climbing through the dense vegetation did get a smile from me as I was listening. The lack of trails though adds a sense of adventure/danger to it all. Were I younger I would plan another trip with the intention of hiking to the base of Denali. I don't think we got closer than 25 miles after half a day's hike.
Dave