[SHORT BIOS] Little Pictorial Lives of the Saints, Vol. 2 (April-June) - tg

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Post Reply
KevinS
Posts: 6556
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 30th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Little Pictorial Lives of the Saints, Volume 2 (April-June) by John Gilmary Shea (1824 - 1892).

Little Pictorial Lives of the Saints : with reflections for every day in the year : compiled from "Butler's Lives" and other approved sources : to which are added lives of the American saints : placed on the calendar for the United States by special petition of the Third Plenary Council of Baltimore ( From the book itself)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/littlepictoriall00shea_0/page/201
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

      Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard


      Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!


      Magic Window:



      BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

      Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Little Pictorial Lives of the Saints, Volume 2 (April-June). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Little Pictorial Lives of the Saints, Volume 2 (April-June), by John Gilmary Shea. [Section title as found in Magic Window]"

      END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Little Pictorial Lives of the Saints, Volume 2 (April-June), by John Gilmary Shea. "

      There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

      Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      pictoriallivesvol2_##_shea_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. pictoriallivesvol2_01_shea_128kb.mp3)


      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        Image
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

      Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by KevinS on February 15th, 2020, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 44749
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » December 30th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Did whoever MC volume 1 say anything about MC'ing this one? If not, I'll do it.
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
Samuel Smiles Self-Help: Character
Family history: The Medici, Vol. 2

KevinS
Posts: 6556
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 30th, 2019, 3:52 pm

TriciaG wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 3:41 pm
Did whoever MC volume 1 say anything about MC'ing this one? If not, I'll do it.
Please do MC. This one will go more smoothly than the last!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 44749
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » December 30th, 2019, 3:58 pm

OK, you're set up. :)
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
Samuel Smiles Self-Help: Character
Family history: The Medici, Vol. 2

KevinS
Posts: 6556
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 30th, 2019, 4:20 pm

TriciaG wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 3:58 pm
OK, you're set up. :)
Thank you!

KevinS
Posts: 6556
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 30th, 2019, 4:34 pm

I'll try to get all the saints' names entered tonight.

KevinS
Posts: 6556
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 30th, 2019, 6:53 pm


linny
Posts: 12758
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » December 31st, 2019, 8:23 am

KevinS wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 6:53 pm
Section 91 uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/pictoriallivesvol2_91_shea_128kb.mp3 3:26
PL OK. You even remembered the book ending. :wink:

I can't DPL but I'll keep watch until one comes your way.

KevinS
Posts: 6556
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 31st, 2019, 8:31 am

linny wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 8:23 am
KevinS wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 6:53 pm
Section 91 uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/pictoriallivesvol2_91_shea_128kb.mp3 3:26
PL OK. You even remembered the book ending. :wink:

I can't DPL but I'll keep watch until one comes your way.
Thank you, linny. I suspect I will serve as PL, but if you could PL my recordings, that would be wonderful. I'll be doing my ten sometime in the future, but want others to pick their favorite saints first.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 44749
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » December 31st, 2019, 8:41 am

Moving to Readers Wanted!
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
Samuel Smiles Self-Help: Character
Family history: The Medici, Vol. 2

AlyssaKSinger
Posts: 9
Joined: January 1st, 2020, 9:44 pm

Post by AlyssaKSinger » January 2nd, 2020, 6:40 pm

May I please claim section 34?

KevinS
Posts: 6556
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » January 2nd, 2020, 8:03 pm

AlyssaKSinger wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 6:40 pm
May I please claim section 34?
Yes, of course. Thank you!

I recommend that you complete our one-minute test before doing any other recording. We want to make certain that your technical specifications match our needs. For instance, we only use mono recordings, etc. It's not terribly difficult and not really a test. Haha! I wish we had a different name for it.

Instructions would have come with your welcome e-mail.

Welcome from me, too!

Oh, and before I forget, do you have a display name yet? We have two names here---the display name and the forum name. I use KevinS for both, but if you'd like your real name or another name to be used in our catalog, you'll have to decide how it should be displayed. Please choose wisely as it's difficult to change the display name Please let me know what you decide and I can enter you into the system.

AlyssaKSinger
Posts: 9
Joined: January 1st, 2020, 9:44 pm

Post by AlyssaKSinger » January 2nd, 2020, 8:29 pm

KevinS wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 8:03 pm
AlyssaKSinger wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 6:40 pm
May I please claim section 34?
Yes, of course. Thank you!

I recommend that you complete our one-minute test before doing any other recording. We want to make certain that your technical specifications match our needs. For instance, we only use mono recordings, etc. It's not terribly difficult and not really a test. Haha! I wish we had a different name for it.

Instructions would have come with your welcome e-mail.

Welcome from me, too!

Oh, and before I forget, do you have a display name yet? We have two names here---the display name and the forum name. I use KevinS for both, but if you'd like your real name or another name to be used in our catalog, you'll have to decide how it should be displayed. Please choose wisely as it's difficult to change the display name Please let me know what you decide and I can enter you into the system.
Thanks for the information! I'll work over the weekend on doing the one-minute test. I think I'd like to use my real name as the display name. Where should I specify that?

KevinS
Posts: 6556
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » January 2nd, 2020, 8:32 pm

AlyssaKSinger wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 8:29 pm
KevinS wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 8:03 pm
AlyssaKSinger wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 6:40 pm
May I please claim section 34?
Yes, of course. Thank you!

I recommend that you complete our one-minute test before doing any other recording. We want to make certain that your technical specifications match our needs. For instance, we only use mono recordings, etc. It's not terribly difficult and not really a test. Haha! I wish we had a different name for it.

Instructions would have come with your welcome e-mail.

Welcome from me, too!

Oh, and before I forget, do you have a display name yet? We have two names here---the display name and the forum name. I use KevinS for both, but if you'd like your real name or another name to be used in our catalog, you'll have to decide how it should be displayed. Please choose wisely as it's difficult to change the display name Please let me know what you decide and I can enter you into the system.
Thanks for the information! I'll work over the weekend on doing the one-minute test. I think I'd like to use my real name as the display name. Where should I specify that?
How would you like it done? Alyssa K. Singer? (To tell you the truth, I don't know if we accept spaces or periods (full stops.) Would AlyssaKSinger be all right?

AlyssaKSinger
Posts: 9
Joined: January 1st, 2020, 9:44 pm

Post by AlyssaKSinger » January 2nd, 2020, 9:36 pm

Actually, my real name is Alyssa Kortright. I'm a singer, so that's the reason for my username. If spaces can't be done, that's fine. But I would like to use Alyssa Kortright, if that's ok. Thanks so much!

Post Reply