SOLO Our Village Volume 1 by Mary Russell Mitford - icequeen

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
anneflebari

Post by anneflebari » January 1st, 2020, 3:59 pm

Our Village Volume 1 by Mary Russell Mitford (1787 - 1855).

This book is a compilation of short stories originally published in several series in The Lady's Magazine. Volume 1 covers a period of about 18 months, then Volume 2 chronicles the changes when Miss Mitford returns to the village some 2 years later. The book's subtitle is “sketches of rural character and scenery”... and this perfectly describes its contents. People and nature are minutely observed and the language reflects Miss Mitford's exquisite eye for detail and love of the changing seasons and the impact they have on the flora and fauna around her. The village characters are described mainly fondly, but not without the occasional wry reference to their faults! In her introduction to a later edition, Anne Thackeray Ritchie quotes from Miss Mitford's reply to William Elford when asked if her characters and descriptions are true.......”Yes, as true as is well possible....you, as a great landscape painter know that in painting a favourite scene you do a little embellish and can't help it; you avail yourself of happy accidents of atmosphere; if anything be ugly you strike it out, or if anything be wanting, you put it in. But still the picture is a likeness.” But even if seen through rose-coloured lenses, these gentle little sketches conjure up a time and place long gone and transport us for a while to another, simpler world. ( Anne Fletcher)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951d005419552&view=1up&seq=13
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: LlYNwOLo

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Mary Russell Mitford) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Russell_Mitford

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have:67
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    [*]Original publication date (if known):
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: Short Stories/Single Author Collections; *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography/Memoirs

Keywords that describe the book: village life, seasonal descriptions

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Our Village. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Our Village, by Mary Russell Mitford. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Our Village by Mary Russell Mitford. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Our Village, by Mary Russell Mitford. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename ourvillage_##_mitford_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. ourvillage_01_mitford_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Mary Russell Mitford
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Our Village

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by anneflebari on February 6th, 2020, 11:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 1st, 2020, 4:19 pm

If you haven't a DPL in place, I hope you'll consider me for the task. Looks like a most delightful project.

anneflebari

Post by anneflebari » January 1st, 2020, 4:38 pm

Thank you Kevin, these are really short stories but a VERY long introduction! I think Lady Ritchie made the most of some self promotion 😁 cheers, Anne

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » January 1st, 2020, 4:51 pm

Hi Anne, I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » January 1st, 2020, 4:57 pm

OK, your MW is ready for you, and Kevin is in as DPL! I will move us as soon as I know that we are all on board!
Ann

KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 1st, 2020, 7:40 pm

icequeen wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 4:57 pm
OK, your MW is ready for you, and Kevin is in as DPL! I will move us as soon as I know that we are all on board!
I'm aboard!

anneflebari

Post by anneflebari » January 1st, 2020, 9:29 pm

KevinS wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 7:40 pm
icequeen wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 4:57 pm
I'm aboard!
Thank you...as the introduction is so long I will split it into 4 parts, as written....it's about a third of the book! I can add the extra sections when I fill in the MW. cheers, Anne

anneflebari

Post by anneflebari » January 1st, 2020, 9:40 pm

Re last post...as the introduction is usually section 0, how shall I number the sections if there are 4 parts to the intro? The author of the intro (daughter of Wm Thackeray) gives a mini-biography of Mary Mitford rather than dwell on the particular stories! Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 1st, 2020, 9:52 pm

anneflebari wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 9:40 pm
Re last post...as the introduction is usually section 0, how shall I number the sections if there are 4 parts to the intro? The author of the intro (daughter of Wm Thackeray) gives a mini-biography of Mary Mitford rather than dwell on the particular stories! Anne
There don't seem to be any real 'chapters,' so I would say it does not matter how things are numbered. (Perhaps the Zero/Nil could be dropped?)

So, it would be/could be Introduction, Part 1; Introduction, Part 2; Introduction, Part 3; Introduction, Part 4; Country Pictures; et cetera.

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » January 1st, 2020, 11:23 pm

And I can change that section 0 to section 1, which seems appropriate. Let me know if that is what you would me to do, and it shall be done!

Moving on to Going Solo!
Ann

anneflebari

Post by anneflebari » January 1st, 2020, 11:47 pm

Hi team, Have found a better and much longer version (1848)of this collection in Hathi Trust; there are several volumes of the compilations of sketches of country life and the 1893 edition is actually only one section in other editions! So please cancel this project and I'll set up the new one, sorry about messing about, cheers, Anne (bonus is there are lots of short stories for other projects!)

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » January 2nd, 2020, 1:48 pm

As I said in my PM to you, we don't need to completely delete this project. We can modify as much as we need to. Let me know what you would like changed, and I will make that happen! I would much more prefer to have the full set of stories than the modified one, and it is not that much work for me to make the changes that are necessary!
Ann

KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 2nd, 2020, 1:52 pm

I'm certainly on board for more.

anneflebari

Post by anneflebari » January 2nd, 2020, 4:19 pm

icequeen wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 1:48 pm
As I said in my PM to you, we don't need to completely delete this project. We can modify as much as we need to. Let me know what you would like changed, and I will make that happen! I would much more prefer to have the full set of stories than the modified one, and it is not that much work for me to make the changes that are necessary!
Thank you Ann and Kevin, :D I have replaced the text link and number of sections needed. I can't think of anything else that needs changing at the moment, so I might start by filling in a couple of chapter titles and see if they're ok? cheers, Anne

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » January 2nd, 2020, 6:13 pm

OK, the new text link is on the project page in the correct spot, and there are now 67 sections in the MW for you to play with!
Ann