Looking for a linear, step by step process to get my first recording done.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Maxiimus

Post by Maxiimus »

Hi there!

I'm so glad to be here and see all of these very active and supportive forum posts. I am brand new here, and want to first of all recognize the fact that there are obviously a lot of valuable resources to get started. All that said, wiki, the welcome email and it's tools, as well as the video resources... all of that is awesome. That said, and after several hours of reading and sifting, I'm hoping if someone can just give me a step by step breakdown so I can go through it, cross off the checklist in a linear fashion, and eventually get to sending final recordings to the project manager. Is that listed anywhere that I may have missed, or could someone break that down for me?

Thank you! :clap:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

First step is to do your 1-minute test - that should answer many of your problems, there are links in your welcome email and in the wiki guides linked at the top of the page. By the time you hone it you will know how to get the right settings, how to upload a file, and how to post it in a thread and respond in a thread.
The next steps will then be easy, you just need to find something in readers wanted that appeals to you and ask for a section, and the first post in the project and the book coordinator will help you if you still need it
There are variations in projects so it is not really possible to give a step by step guide .
We were all new once, just start on the test and ask if you get stuck.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

This has about the best step by step we have. There are links to other wiki pages with more detail on each step, but the basic outline is all there. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

All good advice already.

In a nutshell:

1. Do your 1-minute test.
2. Make sure you do step 1. Seriously - this is where you get the technical specs right. Only proceed once you get an OK (whether formal or informal).
3. Find something you'd like to record and 'sign up' for it.
4. Once you get the OK on the section/s you asked for, record one.
5. Edit your recording.
6. Upload the recording.
7. Once it is marked as PL OK, you're done on that one.

Repeat from step 3....
regards
Jane Bennett
Maxiimus

Post by Maxiimus »

Jmbau13 wrote: January 1st, 2020, 8:33 pm All good advice already.

In a nutshell:

2. Make sure you do step 1. Seriously - this is where you get the technical specs right. Only proceed once you get an OK (whether formal or informal).
5. Edit your recording.
6. Upload the recording.

Repeat from step 3....
This is great - Just what I was hoping for. To dive in deeper, is there a breakdown that takes a total beginner all the way to the '1 minute test'?
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Maxiimus wrote: January 1st, 2020, 10:26 pm
Jmbau13 wrote: January 1st, 2020, 8:33 pm All good advice already.

In a nutshell:

5. Edit your recording.
6. Upload the recording.

Repeat from step 3....
This is great - Just what I was hoping for. To dive in deeper, is there a breakdown that takes a total beginner all the way to the '1 minute test'?
Er, not sure what you think the Newbie Guide (that you were already given the link for) is for. It’s all there including the link to the details of the 1-minute test. :wink:
regards
Jane Bennett
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Here is a video on making your 1 minute test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlaRY_-bcfs

and here is a video on uploading your 1 minute test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oTSlFSoEeY&feature=youtu.be

and here is a little video on setting up your tech specs (if you use Audacity) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8JkCgKo3fU&t=72s

Be patient. It will all fall into place and keep asking questions. :D
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
FractalPariah

Post by FractalPariah »

Jmbau13 wrote: January 1st, 2020, 8:33 pm 3. Find something you'd like to record and 'sign up' for it.
Hey, I'm not about to go and try to start a string of my own projects right off but what is the process of starting a project of one's own? I haven't actually read a great deal of it yet, so perhaps this will change, but I have an interest in reading from the works of Jack London. It appears that London was a far more prolific writer than I had assumed and, advantage of being some one hundred years old, all of his works ought to be public domain now.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

FractalPariah wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 7:51 pm
Jmbau13 wrote: January 1st, 2020, 8:33 pm 3. Find something you'd like to record and 'sign up' for it.
Hey, I'm not about to go and try to start a string of my own projects right off but what is the process of starting a project of one's own? I haven't actually read a great deal of it yet, so perhaps this will change, but I have an interest in reading from the works of Jack London. It appears that London was a far more prolific writer than I had assumed and, advantage of being some one hundred years old, all of his works ought to be public domain now.
If you want to read a London book by yourself alone, here is a starting point. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513