[COMPLETE] Manners and Rules of Good Society - Or, Solecisms to be Avoided - by a Member of the Aristocracy-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Just a comment re. PLs - I assume you'll let me know if you need any help with PL. So sorry to hear the voice is problematic again, Kevin, but no doubt leaves plenty of time for PL.
regards
Jane Bennett
jenno

Post by jenno »

Many unexpected foibles! I had thought asparagus was eaten with the fingers. I suspect if pizza had graced the 19th century dinner table, it would have been tackled with a fork, as so many dishes were. I cannot conceive of eating ice puddings without a spoon. Very messy!

Lots of fun though , I mean the reading. Wonder who anon was?

Jennifer
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Jmbau13 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 6:38 pm Just a comment re. PLs - I assume you'll let me know if you need any help with PL. So sorry to hear the voice is problematic again, Kevin, but no doubt leaves plenty of time for PL.
Thank you! I shall remember your kind offer---especially so when my voice returns. (I am SO far behind now!)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

jenno wrote: December 10th, 2019, 6:46 pm I cannot conceive of eating ice puddings without a spoon. Very messy!
Jennifer
I know, right?!
schrm

Post by schrm »

good morning,

as you mention it: the better the pizza, the more likely i eat it with a fork and a knife.
end of: deep philosophical nirvana!

thank you kevin and get well soon!

thank you to everyone, as a sort of summarize and a sort of motivation :-D
we will be reaching 2/3 of the sections completed and pl ok, soon!

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ColleenMc wrote: December 19th, 2019, 3:44 pm Chapter 3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mannersandrules_03_anon_128kb.mp3

23:08

Colleen
PL OK! (And entered in the MW.)

Thank you.
schrm

Post by schrm »

hi colleen and thestorygirl,

do you want to read these sections, still?
no need to hurry, we are far from completing this book - i just want to know, if your interest in reading this is still alive :D

and just to mention it, because i saw a new thread here somewhere in the forum: you don't need to collect recordings for an upload, you can upload them one by one :-)
(unless you want to watch jumping bars, of course)

greetings from tyrol,
cheers,

ColleenMc wrote: October 24th, 2019, 10:38 am I'd like to do sections 3 and 4, please!

Colleen
thestorygirl wrote: October 21st, 2019, 10:37 am Are you open to reader claims yet?

If it's okay, I'd like Ch. 1, 7, 9, 14, 26, 37.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Hi, yes I am still interested and will try to get it done this time around (not that I didn't try before, but I will try harder)! :) Thanks.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Yes I am, I actually finished chapter 3 just yesterday and look forward to getting the other one done in the next few days.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

schrm

Post by schrm »

thank you to both of you! :D
and as i told: please no stress, no hurries needed!

cheers,

thestorygirl wrote: December 20th, 2019, 2:34 pm Hi, yes I am still interested and will try to get it done this time around (not that I didn't try before, but I will try harder)! :) Thanks.
ColleenMc wrote: December 20th, 2019, 5:37 pm Yes I am, I actually finished chapter 3 just yesterday and look forward to getting the other one done in the next few days.

Colleen
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 4:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mannersandrules_04_anon_128kb.mp3

21:39

Thanks for this project! The bit I did was very interesting, and I look forward to hearing the rest of it.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

schrm

Post by schrm »

ColleenMc wrote: December 27th, 2019, 6:00 am Section 4:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mannersandrules_04_anon_128kb.mp3

21:39

Thanks for this project! The bit I did was very interesting, and I look forward to hearing the rest of it.

Colleen
thank you colleen for your recording!
i loved the book, the language style and also the... well good manners... but they also seemed a little bit odd and antiquated to me.
in thinking this, the more interested i got.

--> all thanx please to kevin, i just took the opportunity to bc it as i saw it in the suggestions!

recording is entered asap!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I read a fair amount of historical fiction and particularly Regency through early 20th century historical romance and I was thinking that I've not seen many plots that use the intricacies of etiquette of things like introductions and rules on paying calls and that's an oversight! You could wring a lot of interesting drama out of who follows the rules, who enforces them and even how they are taught to newcomers (adolescents or upstarts!)...it's making me want to know a lot more!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

schrm

Post by schrm »

ColleenMc wrote: December 27th, 2019, 9:58 am I read a fair amount of historical fiction and particularly Regency through early 20th century historical romance and I was thinking that I've not seen many plots that use the intricacies of etiquette of things like introductions and rules on paying calls and that's an oversight! You could wring a lot of interesting drama out of who follows the rules, who enforces them and even how they are taught to newcomers (adolescents or upstarts!)...it's making me want to know a lot more!

Colleen
oooh you were thinking of the drama aspects in writings...
solecisms
:-)
i think you could start to write these historically acurate stories..

i do remember, in violet osbornei was reading just one chapter, but it was describing some "misbehaviour" like confusions in answers of letters, their "tone" and politeness, and so forth. but that wasn't aristocracy.
and in german, trotzkopfwas telling the story of a wild, boy-like middle class girl who learned behaviour in a boarding school.

i was wondering, how many historical scandals and aristocracy-crimes could be caused by that.
anyways, the king made the rules subjectively... see henry 8th or many fairytales.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275