'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
TND1
Location: Living the (Broadland) dream somewhere between the Middle of Nowhere & the Back of Beyond

Post by TND1 »

icequeen wrote: December 16th, 2019, 8:50 pm Praise received for TND1 (TND) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his recording of The Confessions of a Poacher:
Dear TND,

Thank you for your choosing this book to read! Every chapter was fascinating. I now need to look up the difference between a rabbit and a hare. I really wish that the book had been longer, or that the poacher had talked about his family life. I kept wondering what his family (wife? children?) did when he spent the 9 months in jail. I found that he was 32 when he wrote the book.

This is an excellent example of books none of us would get to hear if LibriVox was not there.

Again, many thanks.

--Mollie
Los Angeles

All of TND's recordings!
Mollie – Thank you for your comments relating to the book, ‘The Confessions of a Poacher’ that I had the pleasure of narrating a little while ago now.

The book was set in the North of England but the life-story portrayed meant that the central character could have come from any part of the country. Indeed, I could relate some of the stories to people that I knew many years ago from my childhood in the countryside of the East of England.

As you observed, there were no details given about his family life but if he did have a wife and children, then it would be unlikely that they could have been taken in by family or friends, given that they too would have been exceedingly poor. If that was the case, then his wife and children would have had to throw themselves on the ‘mercy of the parish’ and enter the local workhouse (as described so well in Oliver Twist) for the duration of the sentence.

It is also worth noting that in earlier times, instead of being sent to prison, the poacher might well have been sentenced to ‘transportation to the colonies’ (such as America, Australia, New Zealand). This would have meant that his wife and family would have been left destitute with their only hope being in the basic level of existence offered by the parish workhouse.

I hope that this gives you a bit more background information that you might like to check out further.

Thanks again.

TND
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Here's one someone posted on Facebook:
Thank you Tom Denholm for your wonderful reading of one of my favourite books The Cloister and the Hearth by Charles Reade.
I grew up in a large family with no telly so in the evenings we would read to each other. Our favourites were Dickens and Reade.
My dad would often check to see if we were listening by adding in extra daft bits and we would all chorus, “It doesn’t say that!” and insist he read it properly. When reading The Cloister and the Hearth to us we kept accusing him of adding funny one liners but no, they really are all in the book.
Hearing it read out loud again brings back so many happy memories and much new enjoyment.
Thank you.
The Cloister and the Hearth
All Tom's recordings
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TheVagabond

Post by TheVagabond »

Thanks so much for passing on this message.

It's such a thrill to know that the recording has meant so much to this listener: genuinely heart-warming for me, and a spur to get going with my current project.

Merry Christmas,
Tom
'Make use of time, let not advantage slip'
(Shakespeare, Venus and Adonis)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ashleighjane (ashleighjane) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I would like to thank you to your excellent accent, I was lucky to have heard the first book with your voice That prompted me to love this app.

So thank you

sohail

All of ashleighjane's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Sailorman (Peter Kelleher) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Kelleher,

Thank you for your gripping narration of "Dog-watches at Sea." You did wonderfully well, including calling out the sea shanties. I suspected that you could have even sung them. 🎶 I had no idea that the verses could be extemporaneous. And I learned so much about 1880s shipping, military life, the hardships on board, the temptations on shore, etc. Another fascinating aspect was hearing many marine words and phrases (like "ditty bag") that remaining in use, though I had no idea of their origins.

You said that you are in Nova Scotia, so I must add that we had a fabulous vacation there in 1988, landing in Halifax, driving around Cape Breton and staying in B&Bs, attending an exhibit (? - fair), eating Rappie Pie, and happening on a big Highlands competition at the Gaelic College in St. Ann's. At the end of the massed pipe and drum parade, a huge thunder storm erupted overhead.

When we took the ferry back, we cried as the piper on shore played Amazing Grace. It was so dramatic.

Thank you for your hours of work on this book.

--Mollie
Los Angeles

It is just too bad that our author fell into drinking at such a young age, but he does rescue himself.

All of Peter's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ZachBG (Zachary Brewster-Geisz) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I just wanted to say thank you to Zachary Brewster-Geiz for reading "The Man Who Was Thursday," by G. K. Chesterton. I thoroughly enjoyed his rendition of Syme and the other characters.

Thank you!
Savannah

All of Zachary's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Nathan (Nathan) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello Nathan,

.I would like to say thank you very much for your reading of the book Humility : The Beauty of Holiness. Your voice is so clear.

I have found that I am able to pray along with the words and in that way take the depth of meaning into my life.

I am very grateful for the work you do.

Grace and peace be with you, Rome

All of Nathan's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for THynes (Tadhg) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I'm listening to his version of David Copperfield, having just finished Jude the Obscure. What a reader! Tadhg has a wonderful voice, excellent pacing, and a sensitive appreciation for his material. His accent is also a delight, and provides a welcome change from the American and English voices that dominate Librivox (lovely as many of them are). As an American myself, I have a terrible ear for British accents, but I'm going to take a stab at it anyway: Aberfeldy? (Full disclosure: this guess is based entirely on the fact that it vaguely reminds me of that of actor Alan Cumming.)

In any case, I plan to continue going through Tadhg's catalog of readings, and humbly request that he keep producing more and more, forever and until the end of time. Please thank him from me for his excellent work.

Regards,
Kim

All of Tadhg's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for coenders (Marcel Coenders) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Beste Marcel,

met veel plezier heb ik geluisterd naar je verhalen van 1000 en 1 nacht.

In het begin moest ik even wennen aan het oude taalgebruik. Maar het
geeft een bijzondere sfeer die uitstekend past bij de oude tijden en
gewoontes uit die tijd.

Mijn autoradio had wat moeite met het mp3 formaat, maar door een keer
heen en weer te vertalen naar wav en terug(mp3 stereo) waren die
problemen makkelijk op te lossen.

De verhalen geven een inzicht in de oude tijd en cultuur. Ook de oude
namen van de steden en hoe ze verbonden waren is erg leuk om terug te
zoeken. Helaas wordt er veel gevochten in deze oude gebieden tot op de
dag van vandaag.

Nogmaals dank, en vriendelijke groet,

Gert-Jan

All of Marcel's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for icequeen (Ann Boulais) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Ann Boulais,

Book: https://librivox.org/mystical-city-of-god-volume-3-by-venerable-maria-de-jesus-de-agreda/

With the busy lives we all live these days, there is little time available to read good books. But due to your effort and hard work, you have opened a door to sharpen the mind of many people in a good way. I have listened to the Mystical City of God volumes 1 and 2 during my commute to work. After finishing I have been watching you in Librivox complete volume 3 little by little. It is with much happiness that I am putting this audiobook in my iTunes library to listen it on my way to work. I just want to commend and thank you for the good work you have done.

If there is a way to donate a small contribution, please pass it on.

Regards,

Joel

All of Ann's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Rooftrellen (Matt) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you, Matt, for your terrific recording of these translations. I was blown away by their content, thanks to your clear and thoughtful presentation. This was my first time listening to Librivox selections, so I had planned to do some light chores while I listened, but I was so mesmerized by the content and your carefully measured delivery that all I could do was sit, listen and be awed by the depth of the knowledge of the ancient Greek thinkers. Thank you so much, Matt.

PS: Thank you Librivox and Matt for the Ancient Greek Scientists recordings. Mesmerizing. I sent a $30.00 donation through PayPal.
Happy holidays to all.
-Christine

All of Matt's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for anneflebari (annie70) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding her recording of The Heart of Philura:
Dear Annie70,
Thank you so much for your delightful reading of this touching book. I thoroughly enjoyed your elegant portrayal of the various characters. Your voice sounded a great deal like the lovely actress, Deborah Kerr, and that is high praise indeed. My late husband always said he was "in love with" her and I shared his feelings.
I look forward to listening to other books read by you. Thank you so much.

Warmest regards,
Susan
Orlando, FL

All of annie70's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for kayray (Kara Shallenberg) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello,

I wish to give my thanks for Kara Shallenberg for her excellent reading of Dracula. I have read the book in question in my native language of Finnish but never got around reading it in english. Now I have listened Kara's reading of the book while attending my other hobbies. Kara has nice voice and a reading style that is enjoyable to listen to. Thank you for your work and with this I wish you a merry Christmas and all the best for your future!

Also a big thanks for all the people making LibriVox possible!

- Perttu

All of Kara's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for russiandoll (Philippa) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Philippa has done a superb job of reading "The Life of Cicero", by Anthony Trollope. It is virtually faultless in its reading and beautifully nuanced in its expression of feeling. I have been through the book once already, and I am beginning a second pass. Thank you so much for your marvelous art.

Forrest

All of Philippa's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Gail Mattern (Gail Mattern) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Gail Mattern,

I just finished listening to The Best Man of Grace Livingston Hill. I really appriciate the way you read this book. You bring the story to life and put a lot of feeling into your reading. I also like the different characters you read in the story. I hope you will read many more books in the future.

In short: Thank you for you effort!

With kind regards,

Aike

The Netherlands

All of Gail's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!