COMPLETE The Ship Of Stars by Arthur Quiller-Couch - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Hello Ben,
Here is a link to your reader page. The reader details is a great way to keep track of the projects you volunteer for. https://librivox.org/sections/readers/13789

I have downloaded your file and will listen today. All of your technical specifications pass so that is a great start!
linny

Post by linny »

Ben,
You did a great job! Two small corrections. You may read the line again and paste it into place or I have left instructions for how to edit the existing. Please let me know if you have any questions.

9:34 – slight stumble – but Taffy caught none, partly because he knew nothing about fishing, partly because the chatter of the stream set him telling tales to himself and he forgot the rod in his hand.

15:36 – slight stumble - When the Prince came home he asked after his wife.

Likely you can edit the misplaced sounds which proceed the correct word. If you are using Audacity use the magnifier until you can isolate the sound. Highlight the sound, press z (this positions your highlight so you will not create a sharp cut off, then cut or delete. Replay the area to make sure everything is ok. Export, upload, post again in the thread.
bencoder

Post by bencoder »

Thank you so much, Linny! Stav wasn't exaggerating about your skill as a proof listener! (I listened several times and missed those)

I have made the edits as suggested:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/shipofstars_10_quillercouch_128kb.mp3 - 21:44
linny

Post by linny »

Ben,
It's always easier to listen for mistakes when it is not your own reading. I have the benefit of not know what I am supposed to hear.

Perfect edits. Thank you. Section 10 is PL OK.
bencoder

Post by bencoder »

miss stav

Post by miss stav »

How wonderful. Thank you so much. Want to continue with chapter 12?
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
linny

Post by linny »

Ben,
Chapter 11 is PL OK!
bencoder

Post by bencoder »

Thank you, Linny!

Stav: I'll claim 12, 13 and 14, to fill in the gap
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

How wonderful. Thank you.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
meppichharris

Post by meppichharris »

Hello! Apologies for the holiday delay! Here is chapter 3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/shipofstars_03_quillercouch_128kb_01.mp3
Duration: 16:17

I looked up the song that the sailors were singing in this chapter and did my best to sing that little bit. :wink:

Cheers,
Marcia
linny

Post by linny »

Marcia,
Chapter 3 is PL OK. PL OK. Lovely work on the song.
meppichharris

Post by meppichharris »

linny wrote: December 29th, 2019, 10:49 am Marcia,
Chapter 3 is PL OK. PL OK. Lovely work on the song.
:) Great! I had thought I'd just read the song, and then, I thought, "Oh, just Google the song, woman!" I was surprised that I found it! haha! Glad it worked out!
Marcia
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanksyou both. Marcia, can you prove beyond all doubt the tune you found on google is in the public domain? If not, please rerecord the part and read the song. Sorry for being a party pooper, but this is the librivox policy.
meppichharris

Post by meppichharris »

miss stav wrote: December 29th, 2019, 1:21 pm Thanksyou both. Marcia, can you prove beyond all doubt the tune you found on google is in the public domain? If not, please rerecord the part and read the song. Sorry for being a party pooper, but this is the librivox policy.
I googled the words and found that they came from a song called "Green Grow the Rushes," which is a folk song that was common in 19th century Britain. The YouTube video I found, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRRq5SYRXVE with the song has a "creative commons" license on it, which means it is in the public domain.

Of course I understand that librivox has to protect itself from copyright infringement. Is what I've provided sufficient evidence to keep the recording as is? Or would you like me to rerecord that portion?

Marcia
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Ok I investigated a bit. The song has many versions and in the youtube vidio you found they do not menschen which version they used. So I cannot let you keep it as is. Now we have two possibilities:
1. That you read the text.
That we try to look for a known public domain etext of the lyrics and notes of the song where we actualy know when the composer lived.
Please let me know what you think.
Stav.