COMPLETE Multilingual Short Works Collection 023 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AnasYousef971 wrote: December 18th, 2019, 11:24 pm I'd like to add a poem by al-Shāfiʻī الشافعي , called (Da' el-ayam taf'al ma tasha'o) دع الأيام تفعل ما تشاء
The source text:
http://dlib.nyu.edu/aco/book/aub_aco001307/1
hello Anas, welcome to LV and to this project in particular 8-) so cool to have Arabic added on here.

Your text source seems ok for me as I can clearly see the scan of the book and the publishing date of 1911 is public domain for us. Can you also include a link to the author with the birth and deathdates when you post your recording ?

All the details for the intro and filenaming you can find in the first post.

Have fun with your first section.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
AnasYousef971

Post by AnasYousef971 »

Thank you Sonia

The author passed away in 820 AD. See this page top left, under "Author/Contributor": http://dlib.nyu.edu/aco/book/aub_aco001307/1
Generally speaking, texts from the Arabic Collections Online (managed by NYU Abu Dhabi and NYU New York) are in the public domain. See top left: http://dlib.nyu.edu/aco/about/

The recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw023_daelayama_alshafii_ay_128kb.mp3
File duration: 01:51

Questions:
-Can the title of the section and author be in Arabic characters?
-Can more than one section be recorded in the same language?
-I like to put background music when I read/recite Arabic poetry. I will obviously use public domain music. Is that something I can do here in LibriVox?
this is an example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jNDJEXsrWI031U0vin_ipBCyL_CwtpZ1/view?usp=sharing
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

AnasYousef971 wrote: December 21st, 2019, 6:05 am The recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw023_daelayama_alshafii_ay_128kb.mp3
Hello Anas and Sonia,

I've listened to your recording. You've read it beautifully. Good job! I hope that you'll record more Arabic texts for Librivox.

I've one minor PL Note:

@00m26.073s - وشيمتك المروءة والوفاء I hear السماحة instead of المروءة.

Have a nice day!
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yes I think so, we usually have the original script and the transcription in the MW. Can you give me the exact name in Arabic script and the official transcription of the letters for that, so I only have to do a copy/paste job, please ?
yes of course :)
-I like to put background music when I read/recite Arabic poetry. I will obviously use public domain music. Is that something I can do here in LibriVox?
no we try not to include music in our recordings, it's a tricky business, about PDness and all. Let our voice speak for itself, if possible. :) Music may only be distracting for some listeners as well. (I know it is for me)

thanks for your contribution and thank you, Sarah, for PLing so fast. :thumbs: I will put it all into the MW soon, as soon as I hear back from you with the correct title in both alphabets.

Sonia
AnasYousef971

Post by AnasYousef971 »

SaraHale wrote: December 21st, 2019, 7:21 am
AnasYousef971 wrote: December 21st, 2019, 6:05 am The recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw023_daelayama_alshafii_ay_128kb.mp3
Hello Anas and Sonia,

I've listened to your recording. You've read it beautifully. Good job! I hope that you'll record more Arabic texts for Librivox.

I've one minor PL Note:

@00m26.073s - وشيمتك المروءة والوفاء I hear السماحة instead of المروءة.

Have a nice day!
Hello Sara and thank you! I do intend to record more texts in Arabic for LibriVox! :D
Oh yeah it seems I read it السماحة from memory instead of sticking to the source text I provided. Apparently, there are different versions for the verse.
Need I re-record that verse and update the link?
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

AnasYousef971 wrote: December 21st, 2019, 9:24 am Hello Sara and thank you! I do intend to record more texts in Arabic for LibriVox! :D
Oh yeah it seems I read it السماحة from memory instead of sticking to the source text I provided. Apparently, there are different versions for the verse.
Need I re-record that verse and update the link?
You're most welcome. Great!

Yes, please. I know you consider it a minor thing but it would be a good practice to fix PL notes in the future.

See you in another project.
AnasYousef971

Post by AnasYousef971 »

Kitty wrote: December 21st, 2019, 8:56 am
yes I think so, we usually have the original script and the transcription in the MW. Can you give me the exact name in Arabic script and the official transcription of the letters for that, so I only have to do a copy/paste job, please ?
yes of course :)
no we try not to include music in our recordings, it's a tricky business, about PDness and all. Let our voice speak for itself, if possible. :) Music may only be distracting for some listeners as well. (I know it is for me)

thanks for your contribution and thank you, Sarah, for PLing so fast. :thumbs: I will put it all into the MW soon, as soon as I hear back from you with the correct title in both alphabets.

Sonia
Thank you for answering my questions! Alright, no music and I will do a couple more in Arabic (longer ones I hope).
As for the names, the book is divided into poems but they do not have titles, we usually use the first part of the first verse as the title, and I couldn't find an 'official transcription' for it, so I wrote one:

Title in Arabic: دع الأيام تفعل ما تشاء
My transcription (becuase I didn't find any): da' el-ayama taf'al ma tasha'o

Author in Arabic: الإمام الشافعي
Author official transcription: al-Imām al-Shāfiʻī

Also, I've re-recorded a verse (I used a word that is not in the provided version of the text in the previous recording) (Thank you PL!)
Here's the updated file: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw023_daelayama_alshafii_ay_128kb.mp3

Please let me know if anything else needs to be done from my side for this section. :D
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

AnasYousef971 wrote: December 21st, 2019, 10:29 am Also, I've re-recorded a verse (I used a word that is not in the provided version of the text in the previous recording) (Thank you PL!)
Here's the updated file: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw023_daelayama_alshafii_ay_128kb.mp3

Please let me know if anything else needs to be done from my side for this section. :D
Thank you, Anas! Sonia, it's PL OK.

Have you decided what will you read next?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

As for the names, the book is divided into poems but they do not have titles, we usually use the first part of the first verse as the title, and I couldn't find an 'official transcription' for it
yes that is totally fine. We often have no title in English either and then put in the first line or simply "sonnet X" or something. And your transcription is probably fine as well. We need something to make it searchable in both alphabets

Nothing else to be done on your side for this poem :thumbs: Sarah approved of it (thanks, Sarah), so I'll enter it in the MW (Magic Window in the first post).

thank you

Sonia
AnasYousef971

Post by AnasYousef971 »

SaraHale wrote: December 21st, 2019, 11:06 am
AnasYousef971 wrote: December 21st, 2019, 10:29 am Also, I've re-recorded a verse (I used a word that is not in the provided version of the text in the previous recording) (Thank you PL!)

Having yet what to start with, but I'm considering the first story in العواصف by جبران خليل جبران titled حفار القبور
and perhaps something by المتنبي.
and I am open to suggestions should you have any!
AnasYousef971

Post by AnasYousef971 »

AnasYousef971 wrote: December 21st, 2019, 12:24 pm
SaraHale wrote: December 21st, 2019, 11:06 am

Having yet what to start with, but I'm considering the first story in العواصف by جبران خليل جبران titled حفار القبور
and perhaps something by المتنبي.
and I am open to suggestions should you have any!
haven't yet**
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AnasYousef971 wrote: December 21st, 2019, 10:29 am Author in Arabic: الإمام الشافعي
Author official transcription: al-Imām al-Shāfiʻī
I have a question for the author's name. Here is his wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Shafi%E2%80%98i
The name is not like you put it. I would open his author's page with the correct full name, so which part is the surname (starting with ibn ?) and which is the first name (the three first up to Muhammad ?) Can you copy me the arabic alphabet here for these two sections (family name and first name) please ? Then I can just copy it into the right slots, along with the transcription.

Thanks

Sonia
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Sorry for jumping in. Cataloguing Arabic names is a bit tricky, particularly those from earlier times, so it calls for some care. This Wikipedia page gives a summary of their principle parts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_name

In the name Abū ʿAbdillāh Muhammad ibn Idrīs al-Shāfiʿī:

* Abū ʿAbdillāh is a kunya
* Muhammad is the ism
* ibn Idrīs is part of the nasab, a form of patronymic (which may go back as far as one wishes to trace one's lineage, which in the case of al-Shafi'i was very far indeed)
* al-Shāfiʿī is a nisbah, in this case a form of family name, although later adopted by some followers of the Shāfiʿī school of jurisprudence

For different pre-modern figures of the Islamic world, different parts of their name gained common currency, and it's impossible to come up with a simple rule. In this case, the most common form of name used by publishers in the West is Muhammad ibn Idrīs al-Shāfiʿī, which is also quite common is Arabic, and can be cataloged as:

Given name: Muhammad ibn Idrīs / محمد بن إدريس
Family name: al-Shāfiʿī / الشافعي

For comparison, some of our catalog entries for Russian names omit the patronymic, but generally only for names that are widely used without one. The nasab is almost never omitted altogether in al-Shāfiʿī's case, and the kunya is less frequently used.

Cheers,
Michael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you for the detailed explanation Subotin.

Well we only have two slots for surname and first name, so if you all agree, I will go with your suggestion then:
subotin wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 7:12 amGiven name: Muhammad ibn Idrīs / محمد بن إدريس
Family name: al-Shāfiʿī / الشافعي
that sounds easy to me. It's important that they would be searchable in the database in both alphabets.

Sonia
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

There's also the question of using special characters in the Latin alphabet version. It's unlikely that users would use those special characters while searching. I don't know how special characters are handled by the Librivox search engine. If it will retrieve an entry cataloged as "al-Shāfiʿī" when the user searches for "al-Shafi'i", that's fine. If not, perhaps we should use a version without special characters, Muhammad ibn Idris al-Shafi'i, or enter it as an alternate spelling to facilitate search, if that's possible.