Complete - [TRIO]Consolation of Philosophy-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The Consolation of Philosophy by Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius (c. 480 - 525). Translated by Wilbraham Villiers Cooper (1876 - 1955)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-consolation-of-philosophy-by-anicius-manlius-severinus-boethius/

Volunteers outside the USA: Wilbraham Villiers Cooper died in 1955. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years), UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies. <p>
The Consolation of Philosophy was written about 524 A.D. and has been called one of the most popular and influential books ever written. The book is presented as a dialogue between Boethius, the author, and Lady Philosophy, his tutor. Through her teaching, Boethius learns the true nature of fortune, misfortune, wealth, good, and evil.<br><br>This dramatic reading is an attempt to present this wonderful work in an audio format while maintaining the dialogic structure of the work. (Devorah Allen)
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. Where do I find the text? Source text: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/101869879

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  3. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  4. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Book [#] of The Consolation of Philosophy, by Boethius. Translated by W. V. Cooper. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Book [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  5. AFTER recording
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    consolationofphilosophy_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the book number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by mightyfelix on December 26th, 2019, 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This will be a DR, with Larry (silverquill) reading the role of Boethius/narrator and myself as Lady Philosophy. I will edit and PL roles. We will want a DPL for the finished product (unless, Larry, you'd like to do that yourself).
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I have a few unanswered questions that I'd like some input about, both from Larry and from any potential MCs.

1) Do we want to include footnotes?
2) Do we want to include section headings? E.g. "Book 1, Meter 1: Boethius bewails his changed circumstances"

I am leaning towards yes for both of these questions, which brings me to the next:

3) Who should read these, and who should read the LV intro and disclaimer? a) myself, b) Larry, c) either of us, depending on who is speaking in that section, d) a third person whom we can recruit?

If we go with d, I am happy to create a script for that person so that they need not scan through the whole text to find what to read.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: December 21st, 2019, 12:47 pm I have a few unanswered questions that I'd like some input about, both from Larry and from any potential MCs.

1) Do we want to include footnotes?
2) Do we want to include section headings? E.g. "Book 1, Meter 1: Boethius bewails his changed circumstances"

I am leaning towards yes for both of these questions, which brings me to the next:

3) Who should read these, and who should read the LV intro and disclaimer? a) myself, b) Larry, c) either of us, depending on who is speaking in that section, d) a third person whom we can recruit?

If we go with d, I am happy to create a script for that person so that they need not scan through the whole text to find what to read.
Should you all go with d., please include me in your consideration for the third person. (I will NOT be offended if you find someone else, so don't worry about that. I can think of many who would be better suited than am I.)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you for the offer, Kevin. We'll certainly keep you in mind!
linny

Post by linny »

mightyfelix wrote: December 21st, 2019, 12:47 pm 3) Who should read these, and who should read the LV intro and disclaimer? a) myself, b) Larry, c) either of us, depending on who is speaking in that section, d) a third person whom we can recruit?
I DPLed for a trio group project before. The way they handled it was the first person to read in a section read the intro and the last read the ending. It flowed well that way. Looking at your scrip for book 1 that would mean Larry would read the intro and disclaimer and you would reading the end of section/chapter.

Have fun!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks Linny. That's a good suggestion. We'll keep it in mind as well.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Devorah,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you so much, MaryAnn! Do you happen to have an opinion on any of my questions above? I suppose eventually it will come down to Larry and me, but your opinion is certainly welcome!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Oh, my! What have I gotten myself into? :roll:
I think we're both crazy. :lol:

This is huge, but it will be so much fun, and I'm honored to partner with you.

Now to the questions.
Usually I'm not big on footnotes, but most of these seem go provide valuable information that would help the listener, so I'm inclined to include most of them, positioning them for the smoothest flow. I few are just page reference and would be best omitted, so we take them case by case.

Intros and outros. I agree with Linny, and this is what I've done on similar project. The voice that begins the book does intro, and voice closing does the outro.

Now the sections are not as clear cut. Some of them include useful information, almost like stage directions, but not all - just a number. But, I think we do all or none. And, I guess I lean toward including them. It does help break up some really long pieces and gives a since of what is going on and helps the reader follow the flow a bit more. While we could read them, similar to the intros and outros, it seems a little awkward because they seem to be written from a third person point of view, again akin to stage directions. So, we might take Kevin up on his offer. We've teamed up on some other projects, and he'll do a good job for us. (But, we'd still do the intros and outros).

PL - Is it your idea that we PL each other? Then have another ear PL the completed books? I think that might work. Or do we want to have someone else PL our parts and completed books? Or could we then PL the completed books? Several ways to go. (Kevin might be willing to lend a hand in that department too).

Well, this are my initial thoughts, anyway.

And, today was my last day of overtime work. Now a few short days and a few days off, all of which I can do at home. And, a more normal routine should ensue.

Larry
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

silverquill wrote: December 21st, 2019, 10:19 pm Oh, my! What have I gotten myself into? :roll:
I think we're both crazy. :lol:

This is huge, but it will be so much fun, and I'm honored to partner with you.
Yes, it will be a lot of work, but I think the end result will be well worth it!
Now to the questions.
Usually I'm not big on footnotes, but most of these seem go provide valuable information that would help the listener, so I'm inclined to include most of them, positioning them for the smoothest flow. I few are just page reference and would be best omitted, so we take them case by case.
Agreed!
Intros and outros. I agree with Linny, and this is what I've done on similar project. The voice that begins the book does intro, and voice closing does the outro.
I like that idea, but I'm a little hesitant. The reason is that I'm pretty confident we'll need to split Book 3 into two parts because it's so long. Maybe Book 4 as well. And I don't know yet where I'd want to split them, so I don't know who would be starting/finishing the section. I'd prefer the flexibility of being able to split it anywhere without worrying about who needs to speak the intro/outro.
Now the sections are not as clear cut. Some of them include useful information, almost like stage directions, but not all - just a number. But, I think we do all or none. And, I guess I lean toward including them. It does help break up some really long pieces and gives a since of what is going on and helps the reader follow the flow a bit more. While we could read them, similar to the intros and outros, it seems a little awkward because they seem to be written from a third person point of view, again akin to stage directions. So, we might take Kevin up on his offer. We've teamed up on some other projects, and he'll do a good job for us. (But, we'd still do the intros and outros).

I agree that they are like an outside commentator, so might sound better as a third voice. In that case though, why not have that third person do intros/outros? Seems to me that would give it a nice frame.
PL - Is it your idea that we PL each other? Then have another ear PL the completed books? I think that might work. Or do we want to have someone else PL our parts and completed books? Or could we then PL the completed books? Several ways to go. (Kevin might be willing to lend a hand in that department too).
Yes, there are many options here. I think, to keep it simple, I will just PL your part (and person #3, if we go that route) and then someone else (you, if you like, or Kevin, or...) will PL the final edited recording. Basically, I'll be PLing my own recording as I edit everything together, then the DPL will hear mine along with everything else. Minimizes someone having to listen to large chunks of speech twice over.
Well, this are my initial thoughts, anyway.

And, today was my last day of overtime work. Now a few short days and a few days off, all of which I can do at home. And, a more normal routine should ensue.

Larry
Hurray! Enjoy your time off. I know I will enjoy mine. Actually, we've got some fun plans for our off days coming up, which I'm looking forward to. But I'm simultaneously lamenting the fact that I'll be out of the house instead of at home recording.... :roll:

Merry Christmas!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hey, guys

I was very intrigued by this suggestion, but now I see how it would work. If you need a PLer, I would be happy to do so, either PLing all the parts and the final thing or just the final cut.

I am quite familiar with the text, having read many parts of it in the original with students, so, if you would excuse my suggestion, I would keep the sections (the 'stage directions'), they are very valuable to anyone not familiar with the style of philosophical dialogue of Ancient/Medieval times, and also helps when one is looking for one specific spot. I tend to prefer editions that have those (even those they are not from the original text). I might be thinking too much of students, but, well, many of them use audiobooks too! :)
Leni
=================
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I think we are pretty much in agreement on most of the questions. And, certainly having the intros and outros and "stage directions" read by the same third person is a valid option with some advantages, so why don't we go that route and see if Kevin (or Leni) might like to join us. I'll let you respond to Leni on how best to do PL for this. I think that is really cool.

I can't remember when I first read this -- long time ago. Might have been high school or early in college when I decided to take a divisional major in philosophy and theology. Life's taken me down a lot of different roads since then, but philosophy is still fun.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday, wherever you are. Everything we've said here so far sounds great to me, and Kevin, I'm more than happy to take you up on your offer to read our footnotes, etc. I'll go ahead and put together a script for you to use, so you don't have to search through the whole text. (I'll send a PM too, in case Kevin is not subscribed here.) I'll wait to add you to the MW until I have a confirmation.

And Leni, thank you for offering to DPL. I'll go ahead and PL parts as I edit, so if you just PL the final cuts, I think we'll be in great shape!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: December 25th, 2019, 5:40 pm Well, I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday, wherever you are. Everything we've said here so far sounds great to me, and Kevin, I'm more than happy to take you up on your offer to read our footnotes, etc. I'll go ahead and put together a script for you to use, so you don't have to search through the whole text. (I'll send a PM too, in case Kevin is not subscribed here.) I'll wait to add you to the MW until I have a confirmation.

And Leni, thank you for offering to DPL. I'll go ahead and PL parts as I edit, so if you just PL the final cuts, I think we'll be in great shape!
Reporting for duty. Just tell me what to do!