COMPLETE Short Poetry Collection 199 - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS
Posts: 8935
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 11th, 2019, 5:02 pm

What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

lethargilistic
Posts: 173
Joined: July 24th, 2018, 3:38 am
Contact:

Post by lethargilistic » December 12th, 2019, 7:17 am

Hi Rapunzelina! Excited for Volume 200? ^^ Is there going to be new art?

Old Jim Crow by The Nashville Eye
Text URL: https://archive.org/details/negropoetstheirp00kerl/page/230
Duration: 0:46
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_oldjimcrow_mlo_128kb.mp3

Shall Race Hatred Prevail? (excerpt) by Adeline Carter Watson (????-????)
Text URL: https://archive.org/details/negropoetstheirp00kerl/page/232
Duration: 0:38
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_shallracehatredprevail_mlo_128kb.mp3
Mike

Horner94
Posts: 919
Joined: July 10th, 2018, 9:11 am
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Post by Horner94 » December 14th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Hello,
Here is another contribution:
Author: Coventry Patmore (1823-1896)
Title: Joy and Use
URL to text: www.gutenberg.org/files/4099/4099-h/4099-h.htm#page152
Audio recording ready for PL'ing: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_joyanduse_cjph_128kb.mp3
Time: 01:03
Kind regards,
Chad

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25072
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » December 15th, 2019, 3:40 am

and to wrap up my three submissions for the last month of the year, here a very disconcertingly obscure poem by William Blake. It can give a lot of food for thought:

"The mental traveller" by William Blake (1757-1827)
Text URL: https://archive.org/details/poemswithspecim00blakgoog/page/n220
Duration: 5:22 min.
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_mentaltraveller_ss_128kb.mp3

Sonia

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10106
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » December 15th, 2019, 10:09 am

Grothmann wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 10:38 pm
Hi:

A particularly sinister poem --


Jabberwocky
By Lewis Carroll.
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 2:00

Text at
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23972

Audio file at
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_jabberwocky_dg_128kb.mp3

I know. Some people consider this a "kid" poem.

Thanks
Dale
Thank you, Dale. Yes, it's in the interpretation! And then, there are people who consider that any poetry and rhyming is for kids :mrgreen:
You've done a terrific rendition!


brucek wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 8:04 am
Hi Rapunzelina, here are mine. I searched to no avail for info on Frank R. Heine, however his poetry exhibits a certain jocular sagacity we would be remiss to overlook.

~~~~
Bruce.
I agree! Thank you for offering those, Bruce!


soupy wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 9:18 am
The One And The All (1821)
Johann Goethe

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11123

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_oneandall_cc_128kb.mp3

2:05

Craig
Thank you Craig! Always nice to have some Goethe in the collection!
Come read female poets for October's Poetry Collection

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10106
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » December 15th, 2019, 10:17 am

lurcherlover wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 12:16 pm
Broken Dreams by W B Yeats (1865-1939)

Duration: 02:18
2.21MB

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_brokendreams_pt_128kb.mp3

Source: http://theotherpages.org/poems/yeats01.html#f6

Peter
Thank you for your contributions, Peter! :9:


Kitty wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 1:50 pm
my second poem is a translation from the Gaelic :9: wish I could speak the lingo well enough to read it in the original:

"My harp to me bring" by John Campbell (1823-1897)
(new author, here is a page I found about him: https://digital.nls.uk/early-gaelic-book-collections/archive/76501216?mode=transcription)
translated by John Stuart Blackie (1809-1895)
(we don't insert the translator, do we ? if yes, he is also new, here is his wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stuart_Blackie) and I gave him credit in the disclaimer at least
Text URL: https://archive.org/details/poems00campgoog/page/n63
Duration: 1:36 min.
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_myharptomebring_ss_128kb.mp3

Sonia
Thank you, Sonia! Indeed, we can't add the translation in a collection, unfortunately. So it'll just be the Bard of Ledaig!


Thank you, Kevin! :thumbs:


lethargilistic wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 7:17 am
Hi Rapunzelina! Excited for Volume 200? ^^ Is there going to be new art?

Old Jim Crow by The Nashville Eye
Text URL: https://archive.org/details/negropoetstheirp00kerl/page/230
Duration: 0:46
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_oldjimcrow_mlo_128kb.mp3

Shall Race Hatred Prevail? (excerpt) by Adeline Carter Watson (????-????)
Text URL: https://archive.org/details/negropoetstheirp00kerl/page/232
Duration: 0:38
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_shallracehatredprevail_mlo_128kb.mp3
Thank you Mike! Yes, I am excited about 200 and it comes with the New Year! New art? hmmmm We'll just have to wait and see ... :mrgreen:

Horner94 wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 6:14 pm
Hello,
Here is another contribution:
Author: Coventry Patmore (1823-1896)
Title: Joy and Use
URL to text: www.gutenberg.org/files/4099/4099-h/4099-h.htm#page152
Audio recording ready for PL'ing: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_joyanduse_cjph_128kb.mp3
Time: 01:03
Kind regards,
Chad
Hello, Chad! Thank you for your contribution!


Kitty wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 3:40 am
and to wrap up my three submissions for the last month of the year, here a very disconcertingly obscure poem by William Blake. It can give a lot of food for thought:

"The mental traveller" by William Blake (1757-1827)
Text URL: https://archive.org/details/poemswithspecim00blakgoog/page/n220
Duration: 5:22 min.
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_mentaltraveller_ss_128kb.mp3

Sonia
Thank you, Sonia! Interesting find!
Come read female poets for October's Poetry Collection

paulbrianstewart
Posts: 106
Joined: August 29th, 2015, 7:21 pm
Location: Washington, USA
Contact:

Post by paulbrianstewart » December 15th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Gidday Rapunzelina,

Here is another submission for your consideration. Please and thank you. I welcome any feedback and advice on how to improve.

Silent Songs by Richard Henry Stoddard (1825-1903)
Text URL: http://www.theotherpages.org/poems/stod01.html#1
Duration: 50.5 seconds
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_silentsongs_pbs_128kb.mp3

Thank you for your consideration.
Kind Regards,
Paul Stewart

Newgatenovelist
Posts: 3325
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 7:22 am

Post by Newgatenovelist » December 17th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Hello Rapunzelina,

My last one for the month. See you in 2020 for lots of poetry!

'A Denial' by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861)
Text: https://archive.org/details/lovesongsbyrober00brow/page/88
Duration: 4.26
MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_denial_el_128kb.mp3

Erin

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10106
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » December 17th, 2019, 2:43 pm

paulbrianstewart wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 5:12 pm
Gidday Rapunzelina,

Here is another submission for your consideration. Please and thank you. I welcome any feedback and advice on how to improve.

Silent Songs by Richard Henry Stoddard (1825-1903)
Text URL: http://www.theotherpages.org/poems/stod01.html#1
Duration: 50.5 seconds
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_silentsongs_pbs_128kb.mp3

Thank you for your consideration.
Kind Regards,
Paul Stewart
Newgatenovelist wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 2:02 pm
Hello Rapunzelina,

My last one for the month. See you in 2020 for lots of poetry!

'A Denial' by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861)
Text: https://archive.org/details/lovesongsbyrober00brow/page/88
Duration: 4.26
MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_denial_el_128kb.mp3

Erin
Thank you, Paul and Erin! Lovely readings! Both recordings are perfect! I don't know how perfection can be improved :mrgreen: Just keep doing what you're doing, Paul, and enjoy it!
See you in 2020, Erin! Looking forward to lots of poetry!!
Come read female poets for October's Poetry Collection

paulbrianstewart
Posts: 106
Joined: August 29th, 2015, 7:21 pm
Location: Washington, USA
Contact:

Post by paulbrianstewart » December 17th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Thank you Rapunzelina, I appreciate your encouragement.
Have a great week.

Kudrna
Posts: 290
Joined: April 26th, 2019, 11:02 am
Location: Czechia

Post by Kudrna » December 20th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Hello,
another one here:
Frightened by Helen Leah Reed (1860 - 1926)
Text URL: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/36153/36153-h/36153-h.htm
Duration: 02:11
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_frightened_vh_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
Kudrna
Kudrna

pschempf
Posts: 1773
Joined: April 5th, 2013, 8:28 pm
Location: Coastal Alaska Rainforest
Contact:

Post by pschempf » December 20th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Rapunzelina -

Two more from me -

ADAM’S CURSE BY W. B. YEATS (1865-1939)
Text URL: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/30652/30652-h/30652-h.htm
Duration: 2:18
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_adamscurse_ps_128kb.mp3

Work by D. H. Lawrence (1885-1930)
Text URL: http://www.garrisonkeillor.com/radio/twa-the-writers-almanac-for-march-13-2019/
Duration: 1:40
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_work_ps_128kb.mp3
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10106
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » December 20th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Kudrna wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 1:20 pm
Hello,
another one here:
Frightened by Helen Leah Reed (1860 - 1926)
Text URL: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/36153/36153-h/36153-h.htm
Duration: 02:11
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_frightened_vh_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
Kudrna
Thank you, Kudrna! You have a talent in reading children's poetry!
Come read female poets for October's Poetry Collection

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10106
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » December 20th, 2019, 3:23 pm

pschempf wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 1:25 pm
Rapunzelina -

Two more from me -

ADAM’S CURSE BY W. B. YEATS (1865-1939)
Text URL: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/30652/30652-h/30652-h.htm
Duration: 2:18
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_adamscurse_ps_128kb.mp3

Work by D. H. Lawrence (1885-1930)
Text URL: http://www.garrisonkeillor.com/radio/twa-the-writers-almanac-for-march-13-2019/
Duration: 1:40
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_work_ps_128kb.mp3
Thank you, Fritz!

I have some difficulty in finding publication information for "Work". The only reference I found is in The complete poems of D. H. Lawrence (Viking Press, 1971), but I would rather if we could find a pre-1924 source, or at least pre-1925, since we're close to the change of the year.

Adam's Curse is in the Magic Window, marked PL OK! :thumbs:
Come read female poets for October's Poetry Collection

silverquill
Posts: 14722
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » December 20th, 2019, 10:45 pm

[Title of Poem] by [Author] (BIRTH-DEATH)
Text URL:
Duration:
MP3 URL:

I usually don't do this, but time has been tight this month, so here are three poems from the same author and source

John Kendrick Bangs (1862 – 1922)
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27534

Contentment in Nature
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_contentment_lcw_128kb.mp3

The Edition de Looks
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_editiondelooks_lcw_128kb.mp3

Satisfaction on Reading ''Not One Dissatisfied'' by Walt Whitman
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/spc199_satisfaction_lcw_128kb.mp3
~ Larry

Post Reply