COMPLETE[PLAY]Galahad Jones by Arthur Adams - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote:Acts 1 and 2 survived the crash, and since I recorded the letter from Sibyl in Act 3 you've got that as well if you want it.
thank you, Beth, excellent performance of the young girl in love and slowly fading away. You captured the up-and-down emotions very well, and your "breezy" way of speaking is perfect for this performance. :thumbs:

In the third act she is definitely showing grandeur when she realized her error. Loved this part very much.

Acts 2 and 4 are already PL ok.

I have only one small note for Act 1:

> at about 6:57: (p. 59) missed line: "Oh !"

As to the letter in Act 3: according to the stage directions for this scene, the letter is definitely read out loud by Galahad, and Adrian also recorded it, so I think we will take his version after all. (sorry about the trouble) Also, it would sound a bit odd to hear Sybil's voice all of a sudden, since on stage that is usually not done this way either. It's more realistic this way. But no need to cut it out, as the rest of the act was perfectly fine. :)

Thanks, great performance. Quite a tragic ending.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and here is the rest of Em...wow I will never ever do such a difficult accent again, it was quite tiring during a 13 minute performance in act 3 :shock: didn't expect her to say that much. To think I wanted to go for a more minor role this time....I guess I was mistaken. :lol:

In any case, Em is cool, she's the friend in need a man would want when he has to hide from the cops. She will defend him against the world...but can the world defend him against her ? :mrgreen: That's another matter.

George Tidd goes Australia ! (for anyone who doesn't get the joke, I recommend listening to Dandy Dick)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/galahadjones_em_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 13:32 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/galahadjones_em_4_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:21 min.

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: December 5th, 2019, 4:26 pmAnd here's your romantic daughter, Kathie:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/galahadjones_kathie_1_128kb.mp3
Kathie will be a handful in the third act...and no matter how much you cry, I won't let you meet Horace :lol:

beautifully played, TJ. Kathie sounds like a young smitten girl, still very coy about it. But I suspect she will change that soon :mrgreen:

Absolutely PL ok. Thank you. Looking forward to the next act.

have a nice weekend :)

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Doctor act 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/galahadjones_doctor_1.mp3

I did not attempt an Australian accent as I thought it might draw scorn from the real Aussies among us. I will have to be a Pommie immigrant doctor.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Of course, after their deportation, your parents now in Australia probably brought you up with the voice of the home county to remind them of their youth....

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 10th, 2019, 11:41 amOf course, after their deportation, your parents now in Australia probably brought you up with the voice of the home county to remind them of their youth....
ooooh now that was nasty, Todd :lol:

of course, Beth and Chris are the only natives here in this play, so the rest of us all got deported there which somehow explains our accents :lol:

@Alan: will PL tomorrow and looking forward to it. What's a Pommie ?

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Pommie is what Aussies call Brits!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Elizabby wrote: December 10th, 2019, 8:05 pm Pommie is what Aussies call Brits!
Interesting! Any idea what the word's origin is?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I love this performance. The doctor is so calm and composed, I have not often heard you in such a serious role, it's quite a difference to some of the buffo roles you already played, Alan. Really enjoyed it very much. :9:

Also: PL ok :)

Pommie sounds cute. :lol:

thank you

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Kitty wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:12 am
Also: PL ok :)

Pommie sounds cute. :lol:
Hi Sonia

Although this is marked PL ok above it is marked "See PL notes" in MW.

Pommie: according to OED "pommie" is "derogatory" 👹

It is apparently supposed to be short for pomegranate, but what the relevance of that is I have no idea. :?:
Alan
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: December 11th, 2019, 8:18 amAlthough this is marked PL ok above it is marked "See PL notes" in MW.
sorry, my sliding finger slipped in the process, and I didn't notice. I will change it immediately.
It is apparently supposed to be short for pomegranate, but what the relevance of that is I have no idea. :?:
maybe they had a notion that Brits who spend some time down under in the scorching sun end up looking rosy red like pomegranates :mrgreen: (just guessing)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: December 5th, 2019, 1:36 pm and here is the rest of Em...wow I will never ever do such a difficult accent again, it was quite tiring during a 13 minute performance in act 3 :shock: didn't expect her to say that much. To think I wanted to go for a more minor role this time....I guess I was mistaken. :lol:

In any case, Em is cool, she's the friend in need a man would want when he has to hide from the cops. She will defend him against the world...but can the world defend him against her ? :mrgreen: That's another matter.

George Tidd goes Australia ! (for anyone who doesn't get the joke, I recommend listening to Dandy Dick)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/galahadjones_em_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 13:32 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/galahadjones_em_4_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:21 min.

Sonia
All of Em is PL OK. Quite a role - from caring helpmate to vindictive shrew - sometimes in the same line! Nicely done.

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd