COMPLETE: Fires and Fire-fighters by John KENLON - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Here's Section 19 - (Chapter 18 - Sea Port Problems) - (length 36:35)
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/firesandfirefighters_19_kenlon_128kb.mp3
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Jo, I am planning to put a "push" on this project, in hopes of getting it into the catalog by New Years. I promised it to my guy Brian as his Christmas present, but if I can't quite make Christmas, he's settle for New Years. Several of the remaining chapters are very brief, so I think I have a good chance of pulling this off.

As we are now coming down the home stretch, I have sent a PM to Seth, to see if he is still our DPL. If I don't hear back from him by Friday, I think I will then go ahead and advertise for another DPL, just so the project doesn't stall out for lack of PL'ing.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Here's Section 20 - (Chapter 19 - Fire Strategy in the Homes of the People) - (length 29:02)
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/firesandfirefighters_20_kenlon_128kb.mp3
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Here is Section 21 - (Chapter 20 - Quick Burners) - (length 36:02)
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/firesandfirefighters_21_kenlon_128kb.mp3
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Saw your ad. I'll PL sections 14 and 15.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Jo -
As it is now Friday, and my PM to our DPL Seth is still sitting in my outbox, I have gone ahead and advertised for a new proof-listener, here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=77482&p=1658345#p1658345

(Seth has apparently not been around LV since the beginning of October).
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

TriciaG wrote: December 13th, 2019, 2:28 pm Saw your ad. I'll PL sections 14 and 15.
Thank you, Tricia! :)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'll PL the rest. My uncle was a firefighter.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

KevinS wrote: December 13th, 2019, 2:35 pm I'll PL the rest. My uncle was a firefighter.
Thank you, Kevin!

(My guy Brian was also a firefighter. I'm reading this book at his request!)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

14 and 15 PL OK. 8-) It's good to hear your voice again!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

TriciaG wrote: December 13th, 2019, 3:34 pm 14 and 15 PL OK. 8-) It's good to hear your voice again!
Thanks, Tricia! (You'll hear my voice over in "Whom We Shall Welcome" soon, I promise. I haven't forgotten -- I just want to wrap up the Fire Fighters first! :wink: )
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 16 PL OK.

Gosh, what horrifying stories...

There is one issue at about 8:45---a truck or something in the background---but I really don't think it's a problem.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

KevinS wrote: December 13th, 2019, 4:49 pm Section 16 PL OK.

Gosh, what horrifying stories...

There is one issue at about 8:45---a truck or something in the background---but I really don't think it's a problem.
Well, I just took a listen to the noise at 8:45. It sounds like my neighbor decided to pull out of his driveway at that moment, and I didn't even notice. :? Since it's very brief, and not particularly loud, I'm okay with not fixing it, if you are also okay with it. But I will re-record that sentence if you think it would be a problem.

Yeah, some of these historical fires are terrible. I keep going down rabbit holes on the internet, looking them up.

The Collingwood School fire was one of the most haunting. There's a short film about it online, here: http://collinwoodfire.org/watch-the-movie/ Maybe because it involved children, it's a tough one to forget. It makes me think of the Our Lady of Angels fire, closer to our own time.

And the Triangle Factory fire, that's another horrific one. My granddad's parents and sisters worked in the garment industry, in the 1930's-1950's, and if they had much safer and better workplaces, it was due to the laws passed after the Triangle fire. PBS has a good film about the Triangle fire, here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/triangle/

(Sorry for suddenly getting so overly info-dump. I've been really into this subject, since I've been on this project, and can't resist the opportunity to comment a bit!)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I fully understand. In addition to my uncle being a firefighter, my grandfather and great uncle were building engineers and inspectors in Brooklyn and in Manhattan.

As for the little bit of 'noise,' don't worry about it. I listened three times to make sure it wasn't from my street! Anyone listening will think the same thing.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Closer to my current home, there is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz7oguguIZE