Young's Literal Translation of the NT

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 8th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Would it be frowned upon my doing each Gospel from this translation of the New Testament as a separate work? I could manage that and would not have the whole strong of the books as a long and lingering project. I would like to go with a collaborative work, but I'm not sure this would be a very popular project as the syntax is not as most know the New Testament.

I found an acceptable PD text on archive.org (and hathitrust) so that is not a problem, I believe.

All this is in response to another recent thread about this translation. I've separated the two threads to ask specific questions about the work(s) might be handled.

In truth, I'd like to do the Gospels first, and separately, and worry about the other books sometime down the road.

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » December 8th, 2019, 6:59 pm

I'm sure you could do them separately as part of one of the Short Works Collections. Would you mind sharing the link you found? It sounds interesting, and I may actually want to launch it as a group project, if you don't mind. But I'd like to look it over before I commit.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 8th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Most of the YLT Old Testament is done book by book:
https://librivox.org/author/159

For the smaller epistles, you could either combine a few of them together or do them all separately.
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
Samuel Smiles Self-Help: Character
Family history: The Medici, Vol. 2

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » December 8th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Oh yes, I see. I wasn't thinking clearly. Of course the entire book of, say, Matthew, wouldn't fit into a short works collection. :oops:

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » December 8th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Btw, I've just noticed that the links to the online texts of those we already have are broken. I didn't check each and every one of them, but the three or four I tried to look at linked to the ccel website, which appears to have moved them. I'm not sure if this is something we could fix or not. I guess we'd have to find new links for each of them and hope it was the same edition? :hmm:

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 8th, 2019, 7:41 pm

I should have provide the archive.org link. I apologize.

https://archive.org/details/youngsliteraltranslationoftheholyscriptures1898/page/n3

This is what I found but I have not yet compared it to what is on hathitrust. (It is not as easy to view, unless one were to download the work in its entirety.

EDIT: hathitrust has an earlier edition.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 8th, 2019, 7:48 pm

TriciaG wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 7:14 pm
Most of the YLT Old Testament is done book by book:
https://librivox.org/author/159

For the smaller epistles, you could either combine a few of them together or do them all separately.
Oh, yes! Thank you!

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » December 8th, 2019, 10:49 pm

If you search our catalogue for bible , and go to page 3 of the results, you'll see all the groups of the various versions we have, Clicking on them will show you how the have been divided .
personal view - as Mark did the old testament as seperate books , you may be better to treat the new testament the same way.

Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 9th, 2019, 5:21 am

annise wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 10:49 pm
If you search our catalogue for bible , and go to page 3 of the results, you'll see all the groups of the various versions we have, Clicking on them will show you how the have been divided .
personal view - as Mark did the old testament as seperate books , you may be better to treat the new testament the same way.

Anne
Thank you, Anne. I think that's the way to do it.

AlongsideMom

Post by AlongsideMom » December 13th, 2019, 2:05 pm

I would volunteer reading for this project, for what that's worth. :)
Brooke Favorat
Homeschool mom of 5
www.alongsidemom.com

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 13th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Kevin is soloing the book of Mark right now, but I believe he's planning on opening up other books as group projects.

On the other hand, one could easily whip off a few of the NT books as solo projects. Galatians, Philippians, etc. - all short, and would be good as a first solo project! :idea:
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
Samuel Smiles Self-Help: Character
Family history: The Medici, Vol. 2

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 13th, 2019, 2:20 pm

TriciaG wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 2:19 pm
Kevin is soloing the book of Mark right now, but I believe he's planning on opening up other books as group projects.

On the other hand, one could easily whip off a few of the NT books as solo projects. Galatians, Philippians, etc. - all short, and would be good as a first solo project! :idea:
Definitely!

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 13th, 2019, 2:23 pm

AlongsideMom wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 2:05 pm
Yay! What would you like to do?

I'll let you in on a secret first. I'm hoping we do each of the four gospels in one voice. I'm doing Mark first, but others could jump in a take a gospel for themselves.

Or, as an alternative, I think Acts could be read in, say, three parts and as a quick group project.

Tricia's ideas are always welcome, of course.

If you've never run your own project, now is the time! I will be very, very happy to help! (Nothing is ever hard when one is not alone.)

AlongsideMom

Post by AlongsideMom » December 13th, 2019, 4:18 pm

KevinS wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 2:23 pm
AlongsideMom wrote:

I'll let you in on a secret first. I'm hoping we do each of the four gospels in one voice. I'm doing Mark first, but others could jump in a take a gospel for themselves.

Or, as an alternative, I think Acts could be read in, say, three parts and as a quick group project.

If you've never run your own project, now is the time! I will be very, very happy to help! (Nothing is ever hard when one is not alone.)
Ok, that all sounds great! Thanks for the input from you and Tricia! I actually have been wanting to learn how to do a solo project but have no clue. I’m open to suggestions on which book...I could even start at the other end and start with Revelation! I like Revelation. 😁
Brooke Favorat
Homeschool mom of 5
www.alongsidemom.com

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 13th, 2019, 4:35 pm

AlongsideMom wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 4:18 pm
KevinS wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 2:23 pm
AlongsideMom wrote:

Ok, that all sounds great! Thanks for the input from you and Tricia! I actually have been wanting to learn how to do a solo project but have no clue. I’m open to suggestions on which book...I could even start at the other end and start with Revelation! I like Revelation. 😁
Revelation is longer, of course, than some of the epistles, but that should not be a problem.

Do you want to read the whole book or make it a group project?

Regardless, I would like to recommend dividing the book as did Mark for the KJV. https://librivox.org/revelation-king-james-version/