COMPLETE [group] Science in Short Chapters by W. Mattieu Williams - kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

UPDATE: Sam, the other reader relinquished his claim, so we will use both of your recordings! :thumbs:

Please make the necessary corrections to Intros and Outros and rename the files - first part will be section 15 and second part will be section 16. Now, as both parts of this chapter are yours, it really does not matter in which place you divide the chapter, so you can just leave them be as you had them originally recorded. Just check the intro-outro wording, please!
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

KevinS wrote: December 6th, 2019, 6:32 pm
jenno wrote: December 6th, 2019, 6:29 pm Here, at last, is section 18

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/scienceinshort_18_williams_128kb.mp3

duration 24.12

Cheers

Jennifer
Thank you!
PL OK! Thank you!
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

Section 23 introduction has been repaired

duration 35:58
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/scienceinshort_23_williams_128kb.mp3

This should be complete if it has passed PL (other than my intro).
B.A.M.
Isaacsam

Post by Isaacsam »

Kikisaulite wrote: ↑Yesterday, 9:00 am
UPDATE: Sam, the other reader relinquished his claim, so we will use both of your recordings! :thumbs:

Please make the necessary corrections to Intros and Outros and rename the files - first part will be section 15 and second part will be section 16. Now, as both parts of this chapter are yours, it really does not matter in which place you divide the chapter, so you can just leave them be as you had them originally recorded. Just check the intro-outro wording, please!
----------
Hi Kiki!

Sounds good. I totally missed the ending spot for section 15 originally... Glad it worked out. - Those changes should be reflected here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/scienceinshort_15_williams_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/scienceinshort_16_williams_128kb.mp3

Thanks so much and let me know if anything needs to be changed.

-Sam
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Isaacsam wrote: December 9th, 2019, 12:48 am Kikisaulite wrote: ↑Yesterday, 9:00 am

----------
Hi Kiki!

Sounds good. I totally missed the ending spot for section 15 originally... Glad it worked out. - Those changes should be reflected here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/scienceinshort_15_williams_128kb.mp3

Thanks so much and let me know if anything needs to be changed.

-Sam
Thanks very much! I'll have a listen today!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I see there are some sections of Section 16 that would benefit from normalizing. Do you know how that is done?

I will PL tomorrow and note those sections as clearly as I can and we can work from there.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

blaneadenmckoy wrote: December 5th, 2019, 6:37 pm Section 23 is ready for PL
time 35:59
PL OK!

A fascinating chapter.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

blaneadenmckoy wrote: November 27th, 2019, 9:51 pm My apologies for the errors in the intro; this has been repaired.

Section 22 ready for PL (but this has already been reviewed, other than a repetitive phrase in the intro)
Also note I said "section 22" not "chapter 22" since the MW lists sections. Should I fix this word or is "section" okay?

Reduced duration - now 34:47
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/scienceinshort_22_williams_128kb.mp3

Blane
Section 22 now PL OK!

I apologize that I overlooked your question regarding section versus chapter. You chose correctly!
Isaacsam

Post by Isaacsam »

KevinS wrote: December 9th, 2019, 6:49 pm
I see there are some sections of Section 16 that would benefit from normalizing. Do you know how that is done?

I will PL tomorrow and note those sections as clearly as I can and we can work from there.
Hi Kevin, I do not.

Thanks!
Sam
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 16 has only one issue that really must be addressed. Around 8:04 there is repetition and/or confusion that needs editing.

As for the variations in sound, I wonder if you can see these sections yourself by looking at a 'long' or 'distant' view of the timeline. That is, expanding your view rather than narrowing (magnifying.) If you do so, you may see that there are two clear segments which have a higher average volume than what surrounds them.

I will mark them here in just a moment.

These segments could be analysed and normalized using the ReplayGain effect one finds in some versions of Audacity. (It could be that you will have to download it for your version.)

I'll be right back.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 16 (continued)

So the two most obvious higher average volumes can be found around 9:04-10:00 or so and, more prominently, at 14:04 through about 19:00.

A quick simple fix to this could be to select them, one at a time, ad reduce their volume by 3dBs or so.

I would prefer you use ReplayGain for each and then run ReplayGain again for the entire recording. This would help balance out your volumes pretty effectively.

I'll be here for a bit longer tonight, if you are wanting to ask questions. Otherwise I can answer as I can tomorrow morning.
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Nice to see that everything sorted out nicely! :clap:
Kevin, thank you very much for all your wonderful help!
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Kikisaulite wrote: December 11th, 2019, 11:19 am Nice to see that everything sorted out nicely! :clap:
Kevin, thank you very much for all your wonderful help!
Thank you, though I'm really sort of a dunce. It took me awhile to figure out what was what!
Isaacsam

Post by Isaacsam »

KevinS wrote: December 10th, 2019, 9:09 pm Section 16 (continued)

So the two most obvious higher average volumes can be found around 9:04-10:00 or so and, more prominently, at 14:04 through about 19:00.

A quick simple fix to this could be to select them, one at a time, ad reduce their volume by 3dBs or so.

I would prefer you use ReplayGain for each and then run ReplayGain again for the entire recording. This would help balance out your volumes pretty effectively.

I'll be here for a bit longer tonight, if you are wanting to ask questions. Otherwise I can answer as I can tomorrow morning.
Hi Kevin,

Sorry for getting back to you so late. I've been busy with other projects. This should be the finished product. Let me know if those levels are still too high.

Thanks so much for your help,
Sam