COMPLETE - Goops and How to Be Them by Gelett Burgess - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SweetHome

Post by SweetHome »

Goops and How to Be Them by Frank Gelett Burgess (1886 - 1951).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/goops-and-how-to-be-them-by-frank-gelett-burgess/
Let me introduce a Race
Void of Beauty and of Grace,
Extraordinary Creatures
With a Paucity of Features.
Though their Forms are fashioned ill,
They have Manners stranger still;
For in Rudeness they're Precocious,
They're Atrocious, they're Ferocious!
Yet you'll learn, if you are Bright,
Politeness from the Impolite.
When you've finished with the Book,
At your Conduct take a Look;
Ask yourself, upon the Spot,
Are you Goop, or are you Not?
For, although it's Fun to See them
It is Terrible to Be them! ( Gelett Burgess)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36664
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: u5MIyASm

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Frank Gelett Burgess) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelett_Burgess

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 4
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known):
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================
[/size]
Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Poetry

Keywords that describe the book: manners, goop, children poetry

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Goops and How to Be Them. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Goops and How to Be Them, by Frank Gelett Burgess. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Goops and How to Be Them by Frank Gelett Burgess. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Goops and How to Be Them, by Frank Gelett Burgess. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename goopsandhowtobethem_##_burgess_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. goopsandhowtobethem_01_burgess_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Frank Gelett Burgess
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Goops and How to Be Them

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
SweetHome

Post by SweetHome »

This is a solo project for my daughter, LittlePeanut.

MC and DPL most welcome.
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

This looks like a very fun project! May I DPL?
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, you are ready to go! I love these types of projects, they are so sweet!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
SweetHome

Post by SweetHome »

Thank you, both!
SweetHome

Post by SweetHome »

I've uploaded the first section.
lymiewithpurpose

This is so awesome! LittlePeanut reads this so amazingly. I love how she dramatizes the lines. Anyways, a few tiny notes/questions. Let me know what you think!

0:19 – I have a small question here. She said ‘Gelett Burgess’ as the author, which matches with the author in the book. But in the first post, it says that the author is Frank Gelett Burgess. Is the post incorrect?

1:56 – even though the waveforms match here, the difference in sound led to me feeling that it got much louder at this point, where I had to turn the volume down. Could you check this and let me know what you think?

Can’t wait for more.
Campbell
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Moving on to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: December 4th, 2019, 5:17 pm This is so awesome! LittlePeanut reads this so amazingly. I love how she dramatizes the lines. Anyways, a few tiny notes/questions. Let me know what you think!

0:19 – I have a small question here. She said ‘Gelett Burgess’ as the author, which matches with the author in the book. But in the first post, it says that the author is Frank Gelett Burgess. Is the post incorrect?

1:56 – even though the waveforms match here, the difference in sound led to me feeling that it got much louder at this point, where I had to turn the volume down. Could you check this and let me know what you think?

Can’t wait for more.

To answer to author question, the book has the author's name as Gelett Burgess, and it is fine to call him by that name. Frank Gelett Burgess is just the way that he has been entered into the author database.

BTW, I just listened to a little bit, Little Peanut is doing an amazing job! :clap:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
lymiewithpurpose

icequeen wrote: December 5th, 2019, 4:23 pm
lymiewithpurpose wrote: December 4th, 2019, 5:17 pm This is so awesome! LittlePeanut reads this so amazingly. I love how she dramatizes the lines. Anyways, a few tiny notes/questions. Let me know what you think!

Can’t wait for more.

To answer to author question, the book has the author's name as Gelett Burgess, and it is fine to call him by that name. Frank Gelett Burgess is just the way that he has been entered into the author database.

BTW, I just listened to a little bit, Little Peanut is doing an amazing job! :clap:
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'm just used to people only using one name :D
Campbell
SweetHome

Post by SweetHome »

Thank you both. I will pass on your encouragement to LittlePeanut. She listens to many Librivox recordings, and she is so happy to be able to make some of her own. We need to record in little chunks, so the consistency is hard to achieve. I appreciate you pointing out the parts that need to be fixed. I tried to even it out, and ended up adjusting a bit farther on in the track as well. If you have time, I'd appreciate you checking the whole track once more to see if you find anything else that stands out after my adjustments.

Thanks for the input on the the author's name. I was hoping to just use the one as written on the book. :)
lymiewithpurpose

SweetHome wrote: December 6th, 2019, 5:52 am Thank you both. I will pass on your encouragement to LittlePeanut. She listens to many Librivox recordings, and she is so happy to be able to make some of her own. We need to record in little chunks, so the consistency is hard to achieve. I appreciate you pointing out the parts that need to be fixed. I tried to even it out, and ended up adjusting a bit farther on in the track as well. If you have time, I'd appreciate you checking the whole track once more to see if you find anything else that stands out after my adjustments.

Thanks for the input on the the author's name. I was hoping to just use the one as written on the book. :)
Well I hope that she continues to volunteer, it's fun to listen!

I went ahead and listened to it all. You did a nice job evening! It sounded very smooth. The first minute or so did seem to have a little variation, and the ending poem seemed a bit loud, but nothing that made me change my volume or anything (that is the reason I only pointed out one last time). So, it would be fine to leave it, but if you wanted to you could probably go in there a tad more. I'll mark it OK for now but feel free to change it if you want to edit.
Campbell
SweetHome

Post by SweetHome »

Section 2 uploaded.
lymiewithpurpose

SweetHome wrote: December 11th, 2019, 1:29 pm Section 2 uploaded.
And wonderfully PL OK! She is reading so awesomely.
Campbell