Sweater vest

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Does anyone know a source for a genuine English/British sweater vest. The awful ones worn in the Forties. You know, the ones of a variety of muted colors with a hint of a pattern. I actually like the look of them and have wanted one for years.

Maybe I should be looking for a 'jumper'?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Don't really know about British names but here a vest usually does up at the front, I think what you want might be called a sleeveless jumper - worth trying. Otherwise you could knit yourself one :D :D :D

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

were these the ones https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=sleveless+fairisle+jumper - leaving the fairisle out probably would lower the price.
Or was it the ones with bigg overlapping diamonds ?

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Lovely! You set me on the right path! Thank you!

I kind of like this one: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/596766217/hand-knitted-1940s-style-fair-isle?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=&ref=sr_gallery-1-8

It's a bit brighter than I want but it's a start!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Glad to help
They are really comforable to wear - and they last a long time - no elbows or cuffs to wear out or get dirty.

Anne
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

Just read this and was reminded of one of the many reasons I love librivox.
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

I'm not sure where you are, but there is a place in Plymouth Mass called British Imports.
I was there a long long long time ago and bought a wool blanket that I still use.
They carry a boat load of...(ha ha boat load...British...America...History...Import...Librivox...never mind)
of quality stuff and may ship...ship to you.
+1 508 747 2972
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

realisticspeakers wrote: December 5th, 2019, 6:08 pm I'm not sure where you are, but there is a place in Plymouth Mass called British Imports.
I was there a long long long time ago and bought a wool blanket that I still use.
They carry a boat load of...(ha ha boat load...British...America...History...Import...Librivox...never mind)
of quality stuff and may ship...ship to you.
+1 508 747 2972
I'm not always sure of where I am. (Wink.)

Thank you for the suggestion.
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

Brit here!
A common British term for them would be a "knitted tank top". If you look on the UK eb*y site you'll find lots of listings including the muted retro designs. I'm sure many sellers ship to the States.
-Ian
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

GrayHouse wrote: December 6th, 2019, 6:07 am Brit here!
A common British term for them would be a "knitted tank top". If you look on the UK eb*y site you'll find lots of listings including the muted retro designs. I'm sure many sellers ship to the States.
-Ian
Thank you!
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Also, try searching for the common British term "sleeveless pullover"
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

MichaelMaggs wrote: December 10th, 2019, 3:32 am Also, try searching for the common British term "sleeveless pullover"
Thanks!