One Book A Week Club 2019

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

My list of books read in May is rather slim. I abandoned the one "real" book I was reading, "Gentlemen of the Road" by Michael Chabon. Life kept interrupting, so I eventually lost the thread of the story and lost interest in it. I don't think I'll try reading it again, though I think it would be an entertaining movie. I hope to read at least one actual paper book this month, though e-books and audiobooks tend to win the day. In the meantime, here's my list for May:

"The Bette Davis Club" by Jane Lotter. Very good. Cute, entertaining. Kindle e-book. Touching, interesting backstory. The author was a columnist who died of cancer. This was her first and last book, published after she passed away. Entertaining story of a 50 plus woman who had some disappointments in life, getting her life back together.
"The Nightingale and the Rose" by Oscar Wilde. BBC Radio Drama. Very good
"The Spirit of Sweetwater" by Hamlin Garland. LibriVox Recording. Fairly good. Nicely done
"Two Sisters" by Ashton David. BBC Radio Drama. Odd little story, nicely performed
"The Man in the Picture" by Susan Hill. BBC Radio Drama. OK ghost story. Didn’t especially impress me.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

Oh why not? I’ll make my goal 30

This is what I have read so far.
Work related
Reprogramming Carlos
Redirecting billy
The secret supers
History Village
Refurbishing Dawson
Complete collection of aesops fables

For fun
The compete Sherlock Holmes.
Trust no one
Riley Mack and others know troublemakers
Riley mack stirs up more trouble
Wind Chill
Code of Silence
All 6 of the Triple Creek Series
Roll of Thunder hear my cry
The Unmaped sea
The The Unseen guest
The happy little orphanages
Sent
Found
Sabotage
Crazy Grace
Gator on the loose
Oliver Twist
Pride and Prejudice
Mara: Daughter of the nile

School related

The Divine Comedy
The compete works of John Calvin
Schaffer in 3 volumes
The republic

For lv

The blind brother
Freckles (Yes I used me bcing it as a excuse to read the whole thing again. We all do it... )

Remaining books 📚

Great expectations
Jane Eyre
Sense and sensibility
Then entire heritiage collage set in warfare.
Last edited by cowguy02 on December 4th, 2019, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Here are the books (and radio dramas) that I've read or listened to in June. A pretty nice assortment. Altogether, a good reading month.

"Early Stories by Daphne DuMaurier" BBC Radio Drama Good stories. Early DuMaurier style.

"Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry. Library audio book. Excellent story. Beautifully read by Lee Horsley. One of those books I've been "fixin to" read in years. Glad I finally did so.

"Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" by Steven King. BBC radio drama. Excellent reading of Steven King novella by actor Clarke Peters. Really well done story.

"The Hunchback of Notre Dame" by Victor Hugo. LibriVox audiobook. Excellent reading of the classic.

"The True Life Story of Isobel Roundtree" by Kathleen Wallace King. Hardback book. OK. Story of a young girl coping with dysfunctional parents. Good in parts, but nothing about it especially grabbed me.

"The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith. Paperback book. Very good, pleasant story. Enjoyed it a lot.

"The Case of the Pocket Diary Found in the Snow" by Auguste Groner. LibriVox audio book. Fairly good. Short read, simple plot.

"Find the Woman" by Gelett Burgess. LibriVox audio book. Good. Entertaining. Improbable in places, but fun.

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I've done a decent amount of reading this summer, but only finished one book in July. (I don't post a book until I've finished reading it.) Anyway, I included it with my August list:

July

"The Tattooed Map" by Barbara Hodgson. Library book sale. A very interesting read. A beautiful book - literally

August

"700 Sundays" by Billy Crystal. Thrift store book. Very sweet, funny memoir of actor/comedian Billy Crystal

"My House in Umbria" by William Trevor. BBC Radio Drama. Excellent performance by Prunella Scales and cast. Good story, but dark.

"Like Water for Chocolate" by Laura Esquirel. library sale book. Unusual book Interesting mixture of fantasy, realism and family traditions – through recipes.

"Au Soleil or African Wanderings, La Vie Errante or In Vagabondia" by Guy De Maupassant. Another book from the early 1900s bought at the local library book sale. This book had never been read, as there were several uncut pages. In general it’s a good book, though at one point the author seemed to get completely off point. It was interesting in a lot of ways.

"The Color Purple" by Alice Walker. Kindle library book. Very good book. Saw the movie years ago and enjoyed it. Quite emotional in parts. Well worth while.

Maddie

Post by Maddie »

I'm hoping to reach my 2019 goal of 100 free-read, non-school books, mostly classics with a few light reads in between. So far, I have read or re-read approximately 80: The Life of Pi, Jamaica Inn, Julie and Julia, The Devil Wears Prada, 1776, 1984, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Educated, The Age of Innocence, Agnes Grey, Jane Eyre, Villette, Tenant of Wildfell Hall, The Bronte Sisters: A Biography, Rebecca, All Quiet on the Western Front, Anthem, The Beautiful and Damned, A Biblical Answer for Racial Unity, Great Expectations, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, Daisy Miller, A Doll’s House, Main Street, Emma,Essential Tales and Poems, Ethan Frome, Far From the Madding Crowd, Frankenstein, The Giver Quartet, Gone with the Wind, Grapes of Wrath, Something for The Pain, The Great Gatsby, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, The Help, The House of Mirth, How to Read A Book, How to Read Literature Like A Professor, How to Study, The Hunger Games, The Iliad, The Importance of Being Ernest, Pride and Prejudice, The Invisible Man, Life in a Jar, The House at Riverton, Where'd You Go Bernadette, Once Upon a River, The Lifted Veil, Little Bee, Lit! The Christian Guide to Reading Literature, Mein Kampf, Metamorphosis, Les Miserables, Don Quixote, Mrs. Dalloway, Of Mice and Men, Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength, The Picture of Dorian Grey, The Phantom of the Opera, The Portrait of a Lady, Pygmalion, The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Screwtape Letters, Shirley, Talking as Fast as I Can, The Thirteenth Tale, Thus Spoke Zarathustra, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, War Horse, Vanity Fair, The Yellow Wallpaper, The Handmaid’s Tale, The Hobbit, Crime and Punishment, and War and Peace. Plus multiple assorted books from the library (probably about 30 additional books) that I have completely forgotten the titles of.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I haven't posted anything since August. I often have several books going at once...paper book, audiobook and e-book...but don't post them until I've finished a book. So here's my list for September through November (assuming I remembered to post all of them) :)

9/2019 “K” by Mary Roberts Rinehart. LibriVox download. Good romantic melodrama. Several interesting characters. Not her usual mystery story.
"Old Bones" by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. Library book. This book features two characters who have been in some of the Pendergast books. Not up to the usual Pendergast standards, but still an entertaining mystery.
"Remarkable Rogues" by Charles Kingston. LibriVox download. Very well read by David Wales. Stories of various, actual “rogues” of crime…murder, etc.

10/2019 "Gone With the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell. Library audiobook download. Classic novel of the Civil War/Post Civil War era. Unforgettable characters. Well written and beautifully read by Linda Stephens

11/2019 "Bless Me Ultima" by Rudolfo Anaya. Library audiobook download. One of the books on the 100 PBS Best Books list of 2018. Very interesting novel written in the 1970s about a young Hispanic boy’s life in New Mexico during WWII, and the people who inhabit his world – especially Ultima. A very good story, beautifully written.
"An American Tragedy" by Theodor Dreisser E book. Novel about an actual murder in the 1920s. Made into a movie at least twice, the best known being “A Place in the Sun” It would be interesting to see the movie again to find out how much it has in common with the book. The movie definitely took advantage of the good looks and chemistry between the two leads…Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift. The book dwells a lot more on the main character, his actions before the crime and his motives.
"Thirteen Travelers" by Hugh Walpole. LibriVox download. Good book of short stories. Lots of good characters. Well read by David Wales
"Chomp" by Carl Hiaasen. Library audiobook download. A fun book. Written for middle school (teen age) kids. Entertaining for adults as well as children. Great, easy to read writing style.
"Me" by Elton John. Library audiobook download. Very entertaining, well written and narrated.

CSCO

Post by CSCO »

Hi,

緋色の研究(A Study in Scarlet) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle [Translator: Nobuhara]
四つの署名(The Sign of Four) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle [Translator: Nobuhara]
シャーロック・ホームズの冒険(The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle [Translator: Nobuhara]
シャーロック・ホームズの思い出(The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle [Translator: Nobuhara]
バスカヴィル家の犬(The Hound of the Baskervilles) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle [Translator: Nobuhara]
日はまた昇る(The Sun Also Rises) by Ernest Hemingway [Translator: Taniguchi]
武器よさらば(A Farewell to Arms) by Ernest Hemingway [Translator: Taniguchi]

I suppose Hemingway is too undergraded. I finished A.F.T.A. today.
I formed my KEY WEST CLUB privately today. In short, I want to be Hemingway.
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

My goal for 2019 was to remember to update my book list once a month. I did pretty well until June ... and then I simply forgot.

Anyway, I've just updated it one last time, here: viewtopic.php?p=1539071#p1539071
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Here is my list of December's books.

"A Better Man" by Louise Penny. Library audiobook. Another excellent 3 Pines story. This was one of my favorites.
"Cape Cod Stories" by Joseph Crosby Lincoln. LibriVox download. Entertaining, amusing stories. Another excellent reading by David Wales
"The Chimes" by Charles Dickens. LibriVox download. Not as well known as “A Christmas Carol” but a holiday themed (New Year) short book by Dickens, beautifully read by Ruth Golding.
"The House of Pride and Other Tales of Hawaii" by Jack London. Gutenberg download. Good book of a few of London’s short stories set in Hawaii
"Jimbo" by Algernon Blackwood. LibriVox download. Fantasy novella beautifully read by Adrian Praetzelis. Good story.
"Black Coffee" by Agatha Christie. BBC Radio program from a play written by Christie in the 1920s. OK. Nothing special. Routine, but nicely read by the narrator
"Something Wicked This Way Comes" by Ray Bradbury. BBC Radio Play. Very nicely done program of Bradbury’s well known story.
"Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Abolm. Book. Excellent true story of a man’s weekly visits with a college professor mentor who is dying of ALS. A short, life affirming book.

Thanks to LibriVox and other audiobook readings, I reached my goal of 60 books for 2019. December was somewhat rushed, with most of the books completed in the second half of the month. I've enjoyed reading the lists of what other people have read. Hope there will be another "One Book a Week Club" forum in 2020.

Happy New Year to All :)

thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Well, I guess I have myself pegged pretty well as I met my goal spot on this year. :D

FICTION:
“Gormenghast,” by Mervyn Peake 8-)
“The End of Law,” by Therese Down :cry:
“Ashenden,” by Elizabeth Wilhide :|
“The Marquis’ Secret,” by George Macdonald :|
“Arsene Lupin Versus Herlock Sholmes,” by Maurice Leblanc 8-)
“Love’s Awakening,” by Laura Frantz :|
“Between Us Girls,” by Sally John :)
“The Country Beyond,” by James Oliver Curwood :hmm:
“The Woman in White,” by Wilkie Collins 8-)
“Mrs. Lincoln’s Dressmaker,” by Jennifer Chiaverini :)
“Saffire,” by Sigmund Brouwer :lol:
“The Shape of Sand,” by Marjorie Eccles 8-)
“The Fortunes of Captain Blood,” by Rafael Sabatini :|
“Million Dollar Baby,” by Amy Patricia Meade :P

NON-FICTION:
“Rhythms of Rest,” by Shelly Miller :D
“Slow,” by Brooke McAlary :)
“Respect for Acting,” by Uta Hagen :)
“The Enchanted Hour,” by Meghan Cox Gurdon :thumbs:
“The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success,” by Wayne Breitbarth :thumbs:
“This Is My Body,” by Ragan Sutterfield :)
“Distinctly You,” by Cheryl Martin :D
“Rooted,” by Banning Liebscher :clap:
“Uncle Sam’s Plantation,” by Star Parker :clap:
“Seated with Christ,” by Heather Holleman :9:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Like Maria, I stopped updating my list in about June. So I just went and added a few more, as well as I could. I'm probably still missing some. Does it even count if you can't remember it? :hmm: