[Complete] CRIPPS the Carrier by R.D. Blackmore - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

CRIPPS the Carrier by Richard Doddridge Blackmore (1825 - 1900).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/cripps-the-carrier-by-richard-doddridge-blackmore/
Esther Cripps, the younger sister of the Carrier, Zacchary Cripps, witnesses the disposal of what appears to be the body of the only daughter, Grace, of Squire Oglander of Oxford. Grace's suitor, Russell Overshute, is not convinced with the Coroner's inquiry, and enlists his good friend, and minister in the Anglican Church, Mr. Thomas Hardenow, to help solve this mystery. Through the individuals' journeys, they learn about the strengths and weaknesses of their personalities, physicalities, and even spiritual convictions. ( Keith Salis)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43281
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Richard Doddridge Blackmore) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._D._Blackmore
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 56
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1892
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Keith Salis Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: i will send these before cataloging.

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of CRIPPS the Carrier. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "CRIPPS the Carrier, by Richard Doddridge Blackmore. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of CRIPPS the Carrier, by Richard Doddridge Blackmore. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of CRIPPS the Carrier, by Richard Doddridge Blackmore. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename crippscarrier##_blackmore_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. crippscarrier_01_blackmore_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by Keratak on March 8th, 2020, 11:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Like a story that we wish was never ending, we know sometime we must reach the final page. Still we carry on just pretending that there'll always be one more book to go. - Fading Lights, Genesis
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Checking in as DPL! :D
~Rosebud
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set up and Rosebud added as DPL.

Keith, it looks as if you've never been a BC before. Don't worry. I can walk you through it.

The first thing is to edit the first post. You will see I've already entered my details for uploading files.
Near the top right, you will see a pencil. Click on that to edit the first post. You can change your blurb (useful if you've not read the book yet) as you go on, right up to cataloguing.
You can also shorten the file name -- in fact, I'd recommend it as it's very long. I'd suggest cripps_ as that is unique enough but it's up to you. Notice there are two places to change it.
You can change your intro/outro, for example to say section instead of chapter (probably not needed here).
The whole section on id tags can be deleted. These are filled in automatically and anything you add as an id tag gets over-written. This section is a throwback to an old incarnation of our software, where we did enter id tags manually.

I'll put the info about the MW in another post.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Here are the instructions for logging in to the MW. It is the same for a DPL as for a BC. Please note, this only gives you access to the MW for projects where you are DPL or BC.

Accessing the System – First Time Login
1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
3. Enter your forum username.
4. Click “Forgot Password”
5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form. (Note this should be more secure than your 'regular' password)
6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system.
7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile. (more on this later)
For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login
NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this:
You don't have permissions for this area.
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage
Logout
To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password.

Please note, this doesn't always work the first time.

If you are still having trouble after 3 or 4 attempts, PM knotyouraveragejo
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Lynnet wrote: November 30th, 2019, 8:55 am All set up and Rosebud added as DPL.
:clap: Happy to see you here as MC, Lynne!
~Rosebud
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

The MW is probably straightforward...
I started entering the titles, to show you how it's done. No need for chapter numbers. Hit enter when you have finished typing. You can either go through entering them all now, or as you go on, one chapter at a time.

I have entered you as reader for all sections.

The notes column is where you put the time for each file. In this column, you have to 'save'.

Paste your URL from the uploader in the Listen URL column, hit enter. The Link column is automatically populated when you do this.

The status column is a drop-down menu. Remember to change the status whenever you upload a file. That triggers a message to Rosebud.

There is no need to paste the link in the thread, as you would for a group project, although many soloists do. Just post "I've uploaded chapter 8" will suffice.

I think that's it. Any questions, please ask.
Have fun!

Oh yes, one more thing. It's on your schedule, but if life happens and you don't post for a couple of months, please post in the thread "I've been busy but still working on it" or something similar, so I don't think you've been abducted by aliens, and abandon the project :shock:
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Thanks Lynne and Rosebud.
To get things off to a proper start, I think I already messed up.
Since I hadn't messaged anything yet, i didn't hit the, "Notify me," button so I didn't see that you had posted all these instructions.
I'm going to need to go through them a couple of times as I feel my way through getting the other items corrected.

Meanwhile, I was able to record the first five chapters last night, and uploaded the first. I was eager to get on in so it could be checked out for format, to be sure I'm not misunderstanding anything.

Thanks for your help in this.
I'll get the hang of it, yet!

Keith
Like a story that we wish was never ending, we know sometime we must reach the final page. Still we carry on just pretending that there'll always be one more book to go. - Fading Lights, Genesis
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

I got into the workflow with the new password, and could see my projects.
I assume I was to click the 14577 on the left, but it then said I didn't have permission again.

Is that where I get in to modify the MW? I edited the other things, but couldn't see how to change that.

Keith
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Click BC Admin under the MW.

Edit: I have a feeling I’m getting at the wrong aspect, and that what you are looking for may be different. If so, disregard this message. I have a ways to go yet before I have everything figured out! :?
~Rosebud
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Ah! Perfect! I didn't see that it was clickable. Now I can get that part done.

Thanks!
Keith
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Keratak wrote: December 1st, 2019, 3:54 pm Ah! Perfect! I didn't see that it was clickable. Now I can get that part done.

Thanks!
Keith
:thumbs: Looking forward to hearing what you’ve got!
~Rosebud
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Sorry I was AWOL during all this angst. Looks like you’ve got the hang of it now. Just ask if you have more questions. I’ll get to them eventually :roll:
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Section 1 PL OK :clap:

Sounds promising for another fun story with opportunity for you to try different voices again! :)

I entered the duration in the notes column... If you wouldn't mind entering those when you upload, it'll give me an idea of how much time to figure for PLing. Thanks!
~Rosebud
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Thanks for the reminder. Sorry about that.
These are a lot shorter than previous books, so I might be able to make my deadline.

So far I have 8-10 chapters done. I say it that way because I'm curious about a couple of them. I tried something different in my setup, so it'll be interesting to hear how they turn out.

For the voices, his accented parts aren't as bad as MA was (I still don't know what some of that was supposed to have said), but it is easy to slip into a Southern US accent. I'm told the Bristol accent is more like Hagrid, so I'm leaning on that. 😊
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Very good! :) I'm enjoying it so far! What deadline are you hoping for? Maybe you mentioned it sometime, I forget.
~Rosebud