COMPLETE: [TRIO] Royal Romances of Today, by Kellogg Durland - dii

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Royal Romances of Today by Kellogg Durland (1881 - 1911).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/royal-romances-of-today-by-kellogg-durland/
"In the year 1907, the Woman’s Home Companion commissioned me to go to Russia to write the story of the early days, courtship and marriage of her whom the world knows to-day as the 'Tsaritsa,' The following year, the same periodical sent me to Italy to write a similar account of the life of Queen Elena; and in 1910 I was once more sent abroad, this time to Spain, to learn all about Queen Victoria Eugenie....'Your task is difficult,'remarked a friend to whom I had just explained that I was writing the lives of the Empress of Russia, the Queen of Spain, and the Queen of Italy. 'Your task is difficult, because these are three good Queens, and good Queens, like all good women, have no history.' Now that I have told the stories of these three good Queens, I wonder if my friend will not grant that they have been worth the telling?" (from the Foreword)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/files/60770/60770-h/60770-h.htm
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book: history, relationships, romance, Spain, Italy, Russia, Royalty, royal, alexandra, queen elena, queen victoria eugenie

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Royal Romances of Today. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Royal Romances of Today, by Kellogg Durland. Part [number] Chapter [number and name]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Royal Romances of Today, by Kellogg Durland. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      royalromances_##_durland_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. royalromances_01_durland_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Kellogg Durland
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Royal Romances of Today

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dii - dii
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by LCaulkins on June 9th, 2020, 10:22 am, edited 6 times in total.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I think I'd enjoy reading all of part two, if you would allow it.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

KevinS wrote: November 25th, 2019, 10:13 am I think I'd enjoy reading all of part two, if you would allow it.
:lol: (I am laughing, because I found this book while taking a break from PL'ing your Afghan chapter. -- funny coincidence)

oooookay - you can take Alexandra. :) I was waffling between her and Victoria Eugenie, for reading myself. So I'll take Spain.

In light of two whole sections being claimed, it would be fantastic if someone comes along to read the whole section for Elena of Italy!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

For an MC:

I will DPL Parts 2 and 3 of this project. (As I'll be reading Part 1, I will advertise for a PL for those sections later on.)
~Lynette * -
dii

Post by dii »

Hi!

I can MC this for you, will be back with the MW soon :)

To be honest, I am even tempted to take on part 3... :hmm: But I'm usually not very quick with recording and I don't want to keep you waiting :wink:

Off to prepare the MW!

Edit: MW is up now!
Diana
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

dii wrote: November 26th, 2019, 3:39 pm Hi!

To be honest, I am even tempted to take on part 3... :hmm: But I'm usually not very quick with recording and I don't want to keep you waiting :wink:

Off to prepare the MW!

How can you hold yourself back? It is a charming biography of a gracious, caring queen. Can you not be tempted?
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

dii wrote: November 26th, 2019, 3:39 pm Hi!

Off to prepare the MW!

Thanks, Diana!!

Hey, we would LOVE to have you as our third! I know my part is going to take at least 3 months to do. I don't mind it taking however long you need. It's *your* MC spot. :)
~Lynette * -
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 13 (I hope I've numbered this correctly. It can always be changed.)

https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/royalromances_13_durland_128kb.mp3

10:14

Section 14

https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/royalromances_14_durland_128kb.mp3

14:55
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I just finished the MW - do the sections number the way you anticipated?

I can't believe how short almost all the chapters are! Nice. :)
~Lynette * -
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

LCaulkins wrote: November 26th, 2019, 5:30 pm I just finished the MW - do the sections number the way you anticipated?

Looks great!

I know we don't have a DPL yet, unless you really mean to listen to Parts 2 and 3. I'll be happy to listen to your Part 1.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

KevinS wrote: November 26th, 2019, 6:04 pm
LCaulkins wrote: November 26th, 2019, 5:30 pm I just finished the MW - do the sections number the way you anticipated?

Looks great!

I know we don't have a DPL yet, unless you really mean to listen to Parts 2 and 3. I'll be happy to listen to your Part 1.
That would be awesome if you can PL for mine. Yep, I do really want to listen to the other parts. Not an ownership thing, but an, "Ooo, I love this book," thing. :)
~Lynette * -
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

dii

Post by dii »

OK, OK, I'll take part 3... :roll: :mrgreen: Then if I'm too slow, I'll just drop back some sections in the pool.

Moving us to Readers Found! :wink:
Diana
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

dii wrote: November 27th, 2019, 10:25 am OK, OK, I'll take part 3... :roll: :mrgreen: Then if I'm too slow, I'll just drop back some sections in the pool.

I'm so glad :) They're nice, short chapters, too.
~Lynette * -
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

dii wrote: November 27th, 2019, 10:25 am OK, OK, I'll take part 3... :roll: :mrgreen: Then if I'm too slow, I'll just drop back some sections in the pool.

What a trio! I feel honored to be part of it!