COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 071 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

He seems to be writing against our project here.

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

soupy wrote: November 19th, 2019, 5:26 pm
Hope you're doing fine.
Well enough. New inhaler prescribed!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi, here's one from me:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf071_reflections_guptill_sa_128kb.mp3
19:23

Rendering Reflections in Window Glass
by Arthur L. Guptill
from
Sketching and Rendering in Pencil

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044033534157&view=1up&seq=142

Arthur L. Guptill (1871-1971) https://www.geni.com/people/Arthur-Guptill/6000000011311873105
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Sue

41 editions published between 1976 and 2014 in 3 languages :D Good book - and it's free.

Some places.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
HeartsandStars

Post by HeartsandStars »

Hi Sue,

I found a magazine article that I'm thinking of recording, but I would only want to record about half of it.

Can I do that? Or would I have to record the whole thing?

Thanks for your help,
Andrea
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

HeartsandStars wrote: November 21st, 2019, 9:58 pm Hi Sue,

I found a magazine article that I'm thinking of recording, but I would only want to record about half of it.

Can I do that? Or would I have to record the whole thing?

Thanks for your help,
Andrea
Hi Andrea, Yes, you can do that, provided there is a reasonable stopping place and you read the part you have chosen in its entirety (i.e. not cherry picking parts of it that distort the author's intention, so to speak). If you want to be doubly sure, why not post a link to the article here, tell us what you want to read, and let me take a look at it. :)
Last edited by Sue Anderson on November 22nd, 2019, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

soupy wrote: November 21st, 2019, 8:02 pm Thanks Sue

41 editions published between 1976 and 2014 in 3 languages :D Good book - and it's free.

Some places.

Craig
Thanks for the PL, Craig! :)
Yes, Guptill's books have been massive popular. I was thinking about reading Sketching and Rendering in Pencil for LibriVox and so bought a used copy of the 1922 book (Guptill's first and I think the only one that's PD). It came with all the good vibes of its previous owners, names on the fly leaf and great interleaved scraps, including an invitation to the Boston Architectural Club's "Story Book Ball" to be held on February 21, 1933, illustrated with line drawings from Alice in Wonderland and a newspaper clipping reading "Five Arlington Boy Scouts will take part in the tree-lighting ceremony on the White House grounds on Christmas Eve when President Truman gives his Christmas message to the Nation." An audio of the whole book might not work because of the extensive references to drawings the listener can't see, but there are some sections I might be able to read for the Nonfiction Collection.
HeartsandStars

Post by HeartsandStars »

Hi Sue, here's the article:

https://archive.org/details/photoplayvolume22425chic/page/40

I would end on pg. 114 with "There must be something to credit to that famous old formula of some brains and a lot of hard work." The rest of the article has some interesting info, but I want to focus on Mary's biography.

And then for the intro, could I say the title as "The Romantic History of the Motion Picture--The True Story of Mary Pickford's Beginning, from Photoplay magazine, July 1923, by Terry Ramsaye." And then "this is a librivox recording..." And omit saying that it's Chapter 16?

Thank you!
Andrea
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

HeartsandStars wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 9:34 am Hi Sue, here's the article:

I would end on pg. 114 with "There must be something to credit to that famous old formula of some brains and a lot of hard work." The rest of the article has some interesting info, but I want to focus on Mary's biography.

And then for the intro, could I say the title as "The Romantic History of the Motion Picture--The True Story of Mary Pickford's Beginning, from Photoplay magazine, July 1923, by Terry Ramsaye." And then "this is a librivox recording..." And omit saying that it's Chapter 16?

Thank you!
Andrea
Hi Andrea, This will be a welcome addition to Vol. 71! :) Where you want to stop the article is fine. And your title is also fine as you state it, or if you want a shorter title, you could just say "The True Story of Mary Pickford's Beginning from Photoplay Magazine, July 1923, by Terry Ramsaye." I tend toward titles that are web search friendly, and the key word you want for your selection is "Mary Pickford." Yes, you can certainly omit "Chapter 16."

The photos in the magazine are fascinating!

We look forward to hearing your reading! :)
HeartsandStars

Post by HeartsandStars »

Sue Anderson wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 4:00 pm
HeartsandStars wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 9:34 am Hi Sue, here's the article:

Thank you!
Andrea
Hi Andrea, This will be a welcome addition to Vol. 71! :) Where you want to stop the article is fine. And your title is also fine as you state it, or if you want a shorter title, you could just say "The True Story of Mary Pickford's Beginning from Photoplay Magazine, July 1923, by Terry Ramsaye." I tend toward titles that are web search friendly, and the key word you want for your selection is "Mary Pickford." Yes, you can certainly omit "Chapter 16."

The photos in the magazine are fascinating!

We look forward to hearing your reading! :)
Hi Sue,

I like the shorter title. I'll go with that. :)

One more question. I noticed in the last paragraph in the left-hand column at the bottom of pg. 42 it says "June" when I think it should be May. At the beginning of the article it says she went to Biograph in early May.

Can I change that? Or do I have to read it as written?

Thanks again,
Andrea
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi Andrea, It's LibriVox policy to read the text as it appears on the page.

The way I look at these instances where I think the text is probably in error about a date as you point out, the casual listener probably won't notice. And a serious researcher is going to follow the LibriVox link back to the printed text and make their own conclusions about the accuracy of the date in question.

You're reading your text with a careful eye and being pre-emptive with your questions--an excellent way to approach recording for LiriVox! :D
HeartsandStars

Post by HeartsandStars »

Sue Anderson wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 2:54 pm Hi Andrea, It's LibriVox policy to read the text as it appears on the page.

The way I look at these instances where I think the text is probably in error about a date as you point out, the casual listener probably won't notice. And a serious researcher is going to follow the LibriVox link back to the printed text and make their own conclusions about the accuracy of the date in question.

You're reading your text with a careful eye and being pre-emptive with your questions--an excellent way to approach recording for LiriVox! :D
OK, sounds good. Just thought I'd ask. I'm kind of a stickler for that sort of stuff! :)

Thank you,
Andrea
soupy

Post by soupy »

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

soupy wrote: November 25th, 2019, 5:52 pm Alexander at Gordium

by Arrian 86-160 AD The Anabasis of Alexander

Craig
Thanks, Craig, for this account of Alexander and the Gordian Knot by Arrian, a new author for the catalog! :)
PL OK!.
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz »

I've uploaded a selection. Seems that furnaces, at least their "personalities", haven't changed much in 100 years!

The Furnace by H. C. Bunner (1855 - 1896)
https://archive.org/details/cu31924021994888/page/n271
(10:10)
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf071_furnace_bunner_asm_128kb.mp3

Anita