What is your favourite read?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Simple question really, but inspired by the daunting amount of material presented on LibriVox.

There is just so much! It is quite difficult to know where to begin...

So, thinks I, why not narrow the choices down a little. I am currently seriously questioning whether I
actually want to be involved with LibriVox anymore, so I would really appreciate some inspiration here!

Maybe I'm just lazy - but it would be really cool to be able to listen to everyones personal favourite read!

I won't post my own, as yet, as that would be self-indulgent, but this is a genuine request - what is your own personal favourite read?

The one that you are most pleased with, and would like other folks to hear?
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

To clarify: are you asking what was our favourite book to read/record, or our favourite book to read/listen to?

I'm assuming you mean the first, but I want to be sure. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

My favorite is always the next one.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

If I had to pick from what I've already recorded, it would be a tie between two Russian solos: Veshnie Vody and Dvoryanskoe gnezdo (BTW, admins, the first link is rather dummy - "by-ivan-turgenev" - missing the title altogether). First, I like Turgenev. Second, each book had a wide variety of characters to "play", although not so many that I'd feel lost.

ETA: So far I've had plenty of fun. From all the sections that now are listed under my name, there is NOT a single one that I don't recall fondly.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Bloody Hell!

Who would have thought it would be so complicated!

TOTALLY (SORRY, CAN'T FIND THE CAPS LOCK ON MY NEW KEYBOARD!) APRECIATE YOU GETTING
BACK TO ME!

i SHALL LISTEN TO THESE WITH INTEREST!
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

ER, SORRY TOVARISH - i CAN'T READ RUSSIAN - I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE LINKS. (DON'T
WORRY - IT'S PROBABLY MY FAULT!)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Although I like some single chapters or single stories in books that I've read ... enough to occasionally listen to them again, the whole work that I most enjoyed reading is https://librivox.org/secret-chambers-and-hiding-places-by-allan-fea . When I was at school, there was reputed to be at least one priests' hole in a mansion house nearby, so I was happy to read this book and find out more about them ... how they were constructed, how effective they were, and the situations that made them necessary.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

hELLO PETER,

tHANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THAT! (SOZ ABOUT THE CAPS LOCK!)

yOU HAVE SUCH AN ASTONISHLY SOOTHING VOICE - IT IS A REAL PLEASURE TO LISTEN
TO - WHATEVER YOU ARE READING!

i FULLY INTEND TO LISTEN TO THIS ENTIRE WORK - EVEN THOUGH i
DO NOT HAVE A CLUE WHAT IT IS ABOUT!
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Hello Tovarish,

Just had a quick listen to the two you mentioned - just a little bit.

Even though I can't understand them, I find the recordings very easy to listen to.
I enjoyed your voice, there was something almost musical (to my ears,) about the language itself.

Thanks for sharing!
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Hello Peter (Found caps lock! YAY!)

I've just downloaded the read about hidey holes.

I know less than nothing about priest holes and whatnot,
so it has quite piqued my interest!

Cheers!
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Okay, Well, I guess this thread is dead.

(Unlike other folks, I do not actually have a life - so my perception of time
is somewhat distorted! :lol:)

Anyways, since you asked (!) here is my favourite read.

Oh.. Apparently I don't exist anymore...

I shall try another approach...

PHEW!!!! It's Still there!

https://librivox.org/the-war-of-the-worlds-version-4-by-h-g-wells/

However, I haven't been around as long as some of you - so this is my only solo read!

There is a lot about it that I am not happy with - it took me a long to get the hang of it!

The bit that would personally most like folks to hear is...

'The Man on Putney Hill'.

(And I was quite pleased with 'Dead London')

However, I would not expect anyone to listen to my earlier Chapters - I didn't really
feel comfortable until I reached ' The Thunderchild.'

Anyways, it doesn't really matter - 'cos I have decided that I do not need this additional stress anymore.

I shall TOTALY enjoy listening to everyone elses effort - big respect! - but somehow I appear to have lost my enthsiasm for particping...

Laters,

Andrew