[Complete] Harper's Young People, Issue 20 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Harper's Young People, Vol. 01, Issue 20, March 16, 1880 by Various ( - )

All audio files can be found on our catalog page:https://librivox.org/harpers-young-people-vol-01-issue-20-march-16-1880-by-various/
Harper's Young People, an illustrated weekly publication for children, includes serialized and one-off short stories, tales from history, poetry, puzzles, and other fun. This 20th issue of the serial, published on March 16, 1880, contains stories of a young sailor's difficult work in the furnace room, travels with a serious friend in foreign lands, hunting hippopotamuses in Africa, a lesson in nature sketching, the conclusion of Biddy O'Dolan's story, and much more. This periodical was published by Harper & Brothers, known today for their other publications Harper's Bazaar and Harper's Magazine. (Summary by Jill Engle)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    -
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    -
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    -
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/28410
    -
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Various) : n/a
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harper's_Young_People
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 11
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    • Original publication date (if known): 1880
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction; Children's Non-fiction; Short Stories

Keywords that describe the book: ocean, voyage, ship, pirate, sailor, fireman, furnace, coal, games, Polyphemus, Greece, Greeks, Dioroe, ostrakon, marbles, gardening, rake, hoe, blade, spade, fork, pot, trowel, bluebird, robber, brothers, cake, quarrel, cat, lesson, dream, missing, dog, hero, guard, nurse, found, lost, gondola, gondolier, Venice, canal, tide, bridges, Bucintora, anno del ghiaccio, gold, Venetians, regatta, Victoria Regia, lily, Crystal Palace, World's Fair, London, Prince Albert,architect, Arab, bed, tumble, fall, costume, interpreter, hippopotamus, river horse, africa, amphibious, canoe, hunt, harpoon, Makombwe, Nile, zoo, cat, food, feed, meat, stray, rats, ratter, Tartar, Tatare, Ural Mountains, journey, desert, camel, horse, tent, mud house, sea of Aral, Cossack, mosquito, tiger, kismet, laughter, friend, companion, imitation, orphan, homeless, organ, music, parrot, pet, seed, fruit, water, bath, shower, leaves, drawing, sketch, subscription, post office, puzzles, advertisement, charles I

============================================
    -
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Special note: Please ignore illustrations and their captions unless otherwise indicated in the Magic Window.

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    -
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Harper's Young People, Volume 1, Issue 20, March 16, 1880. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      -
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      -
    • Say:
      "Harper's Young People, Volume 1, Issue 20, March 16, 1880. [Section title]" (If the section you're reading contains more than one story, please read the story titles as you read each story.)
    END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
      -
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      -
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Harper's Young People, Volume 1, Issue 20, March 16, 1880."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    -
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    hyp020_##_various_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. hyp020_##_various_128kb.mp3)
    -
  9. Example ID3 V2 tags
    Please ignore all ID3 tags, they will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    -
  10. Uploading
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.
Jill :)
Last edited by jillebean on November 24th, 2019, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

DPL Jordan, reporting for duty!
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

These are fun!

If it's not too early, may I have GARDEN-LORE and THE ROBBER BLUEBIRD?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Setting this up for you now.
Edit: done! Let me know if you need anything else.
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Thanks JorWat, KevinS, and Lynnet! Glad to have you all aboard. I've filled out the MW and I think we're ready for Reader's Wanted.

KevinS, the section with the two stories you claimed has two additional stories included. Let me know if you want to unclaim, otherwise I've put you down for Section 2. Enjoy!

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

May I have Section 6?
Reminds me of a chapter from The Voyages of Dr. Dolittle
~ Larry
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

silverquill wrote: November 24th, 2019, 8:15 pm May I have Section 6?
Reminds me of a chapter from The Voyages of Dr. Dolittle
I really like that story! Thanks for claiming, and enjoy!

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

jillebean wrote: November 24th, 2019, 6:55 pm Thanks JorWat, KevinS, and Lynnet! Glad to have you all aboard. I've filled out the MW and I think we're ready for Reader's Wanted.

KevinS, the section with the two stories you claimed has two additional stories included. Let me know if you want to unclaim, otherwise I've put you down for Section 2. Enjoy!

That's fine! It will be fun!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

BettyB

Post by BettyB »

May I claim Section 10...

BettyB
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

KevinS wrote: November 25th, 2019, 3:49 pm Section 2
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/hyp020_02_various_128kb.mp3
9:26
Thank you! I've added it to the MW for Jordan to listen to.
BettyB wrote: November 25th, 2019, 3:52 pm May I claim Section 10...
BettyB
Of course! Thanks Betty! Glad to have you back for another issue.

KathrynP

Post by KathrynP »

May I claim sections 3 and 4?

Thank you.
Kathryn
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

KathrynP wrote: November 26th, 2019, 11:24 am May I claim sections 3 and 4?

Thank you.
Kathryn
You may! Welcome, and enjoy!

Jill
rmd2001

Post by rmd2001 »

May I have Section 9, please?
Rachel Marie
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

KevinS wrote: November 25th, 2019, 3:49 pm Section 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/hyp020_02_various_128kb.mp3

9:26
PL OK
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.