COMPLETE: [RUSSIAN] Silhouettes of Russian Writers, Issue 1 - dii

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Юлий Айхенвальд, Силуэты русских писателей / Silhouettes of Russian Writers. Issue 1, by Yuly Eichenwald (1872 - 1928).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/silhouettes-russian-writers-by-yuly-aykhenvald/
Бесконечно преданный русской литературе, Юлий Айхенвальд видел писателя как уникальную личность и не признавал литературных школ и течений. Oн погиб в Париже возвращаясь ночью от Набоковых погруженный в мысли о литературе, и попал под трамвай.
Очерки «Силуэты русских писателей» рассматривают только творчество, они не касаются биографических событий. Первый выпуск посвящен русским писателям XIX века. Некоторые очерки будут озвучены в одном из следующих выпусков Силуэтов в более поздней редакции.

A connoisseur of the Russian literature, Yuly Eichenwald wrote about writers as unique persons, and not as members of schools and movements. His Silhouettes of Russian Writers are about their oeuvre, not biographies.

(Mark Chulsky)
  • Text source (only read from this text!):
    https://imwerden.de/publ-6033.html (Силуэты русских писателей. Выпуск 1)
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction

Keywords that describe the book: criticism, biography

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Секция [#] Силуэтов русских писателей. Выпуск 1. Эта запись сделана для проекта ЛибриВокс. Все записи ЛибриВокс являются общественным достоянием. Для справок и помощи проекту пожалуйста посетите сетевую страницу librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Юлий Айхенвальд, Силуэты русских писателей. Выпуск 1 [name]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Юлий Айхенвальд, Силуэты русских писателей. Выпуск 1. Секция [#] [name] Эта запись проекта ЛибриВокс находится в общественном достоянии. "
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "Секция [#]"
    END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "Конец главы [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "Конец первого выпуска Силуэтов русских писателей Юлия Айхенвальда. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    silhouettes_##_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. silhouettes_01_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Artist: Юлий Айхенвальд
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Силуэты русских писателей. Выпуск 1

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dii - dii
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by chulsky on March 14th, 2020, 5:47 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
dii

Post by dii »

Hi Mark

I will set this up for you. Will be back later on with the MW :)

NB you used the group project template instead of the solo one :wink:
Diana
dii

Post by dii »

OK, MW is up.

I changed the project type to solo from collab in the database and also the top part of the first post. I don't mind if you leave the bottom part as it is, most info is the same, just remember that for the second and subsequent sections you can use the shortened intro (not present in the collab template).

I added the author in our database as Yuly Aykhenvald and also added Yuly Eichenwald and Юлий Айхенвальд as alternative names, so his works will appear by whichever name people search in the catalogue. The sample filename is now silhouettes_##_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3

I will leave the thread here for a bit so you can check the MW and maybe a PLer comes along as well in the meantime :)

Have fun! :thumbs:
Diana
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Mark, I will try to practice my Russian listening skills by claiming the DPL part :) I know you are not reading too fast or unclear for me. I'll give it a try.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Diana and Sonia! :thumbs:
Looking forward to working with you again. I won't work too fast on this, maybe a section per week, I hope.
Sorry for the confusion with the group project :oops:
dii

Post by dii »

Kitty added as DPL and moving us to Going Solo!
Diana
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

an excellent start, Mark :clap: I just listened to section 1 and thank you for reading so well-paced, I had no problems whatsoever to follow along with the text, even though some letters of the alphabet don't exist anymore nowadays. Wow, they had an excess of Ъ back in the old days. :shock: good thing there was a spelling reform, makes it easier today.

I only found one small repeat which you may want to cut:

> at 12:53: (p. 4) repeat of "жизнь", can be cut out once

the rest is totally ok. :thumbs:

BTW the link to the text has disappeared from your first post :hmm:

Trying to listen to the next chapter soon. I like it that there are so many examples of poetry inside the narrative.

Thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and section 2 is totally PL ok. So far all is going well 8-) Thank you. Looking forward to the next poet.

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 5:46 am > at 12:53: (p. 4) repeat of "жизнь", can be cut out once
BTW the link to the text has disappeared from your first post :hmm:
Thank you, Sonia! Are you doing a word-perfect PL? I did not mean to impose on you. A standard one would be great :9:
Sec.1 is ready for spot-PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_01_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [14:56]
I restored the mysteriously disappeared link to the text :hmm:
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Mark, perhaps it's not my place, feel free to ignore... The title of section 13 in your MW has a stray ъ (no other names have them).
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

tovarisch wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 3:44 pm Mark, perhaps it's not my place, feel free to ignore... The title of section 13 in your MW has a stray ъ (no other names have them).
Great eye, tovarisch! :thumbs:
Thank you, and you are always welcome to comment on my projects!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 3:14 pmAre you doing a word-perfect PL? I did not mean to impose on you. A standard one would be great :9:
sorry, I always check along with the text, in any project. :( I simply don't trust myself that I would notice if a sentence or two were missing if I didn't follow along with the text. Sometimes you don't notice that in the flow of a story. I could not honestly say something is PL ok if I didn't check with the text. And especially here in Russian, my vocabulary is by far not good enough to notice significant errors if I didn't read along with the text. I hope you don't mind that I do that. Otherwise I could not be DPL.

But any errors I point out, feel free to ignore them if it's too trivial to correct for standard PL. I just mention them but you don't have to correct them.

And Section 1 is also PL ok now.

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty wrote: December 4th, 2019, 1:19 am
chulsky wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 3:14 pmAre you doing a word-perfect PL? I did not mean to impose on you. A standard one would be great :9:
sorry, I always check along with the text, in any project. :( I simply don't trust myself that I would notice if a sentence or two were missing if I didn't follow along with the text. Sometimes you don't notice that in the flow of a story. I could not honestly say something is PL ok if I didn't check with the text. And especially here in Russian, my vocabulary is by far not good enough to notice significant errors if I didn't read along with the text. I hope you don't mind that I do that. Otherwise I could not be DPL.

But any errors I point out, feel free to ignore them if it's too trivial to correct for standard PL. I just mention them but you don't have to correct them.

And Section 1 is also PL ok now.

Sonia
Oh, Sonia, of course I don't mind, I am just amazed by the efforts you are making for LV, considering the sheer number of your PL projects :shock:
But surely, I am not going to tell you how to do your job! And I am not going to ignore your feedback, no ma'am :D
And here is sec.3: https://librivox.org/uploads/dii/silhouettes_03_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [30:41]
You will notice, there are some blind spots in the original, where I had to wing the text. I am 99% sure of my guesses, and LV allows for marginal errors, I think. Just giving you a heads-up.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah a new chapter, thank you Mark :)

now listening to this I was intrigued and checked up on this famous comedy "Горе от ума". I found an English wiki-page and read up a bit on it. Sounds funny. If we had the text in English, we would probably stage it for LV. :lol:
And I am not going to ignore your feedback, no ma'am :D
:lol: well I simply note down everything because I am not so sure whether it might be a significant error. In English, German or French I would leave small errors out because I would know that it's not important. But I here I prefer that you as native speaker check it once more and you can make up your own mind.

That said, I only found one very minor discrepancy from the text here, and it might even be my ears deceiving me and it's nothing:

> at 14:19: (p. 15): "кому в Москве" – I may be mistaken but I hear "кому у в Москве" (twice 'у'-sound) :hmm: I think it's not significant, maybe only a bit of a stumble. I let you decide

the rest of the text was perfect as far as I can judge. Wonderfully narrated. :thumbs:
You will notice, there are some blind spots in the original, where I had to wing the text. I am 99% sure of my guesses, and LV allows for marginal errors, I think. Just giving you a heads-up.
strange...I did not notice any blind spots :? did I read from the same source ? I was able to see all the letters I think.

Well, so much the better. If you "guessed" at some parts, I think you guessed correctly because I couldn't find any other errors. :lol:

Have a nice weekend

Sonia