[COMPLETE][HISTORY/GEOGRAPHY]World's Story 9: England - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: November 21st, 2019, 5:35 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_26_tappan_128kb.mp3 time: 5:10
Yes I could not wait for your latin so I thought you can pl my current file with the thought of my adding in your latin after I delete mine.
I had a listen and I don't even think that your latin was so bad, April. I probably would have said the numbers in latin as well instead of as in English, but other than that, it's not so bad. So if you wish you can keep your version. Only in that case, you can delete the mention of my name in your intro ;) I can resend you the email with my file though and you decide. For the rest, the chapter is perfectly correct. :)

Thank you, and let me know if you change anything.

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_26_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 9:48
Here is section 26 with the Latin read by myself to the best of my abilility.
Please do let me know your thought Sonia.
April
April
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Here is Section 43, very short at 2.58

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_43_tappan_128kb.mp3

S44 coming soon.
regards
Jane Bennett
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 5:19 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_26_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 9:48
April
it sounds absolutely nice, April. You practiced a bit I see ;) well done and it sounds fluent. I only found one small error in the latin numbers:

> at 4:48: after "viginta" (20) you also say "quadroginta" (40) but this number should not be here but more at the end of the list (at "40 porcorum"). Can you cut it out here at about 4:49 ? The rest is fine.

You didn't change anything else in the text, right ? I only Spot PLed the Latin now.

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jmbau13 wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 6:49 pm Here is Section 43, very short at 2.58
and thank you as well, Jane. Very nicely done too, but also here I found a small error right at the end ;)

> at 2:43: "but his followers, the Lollards as they were called" - I hear some distinct beeping in the background here
> at 2:53: "end of section 43. this recording is in the public domain" - you forgot the final part of the end disclaimer.

thank you and have a nice weekend !

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Kitty wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 7:41 am
adr6090 wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 5:19 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_26_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 9:48
April
it sounds absolutely nice, April. You practiced a bit I see ;) well done and it sounds fluent. I only found one small error in the latin numbers:

> at 4:48: after "viginta" (20) you also say "quadroginta" (40) but this number should not be here but more at the end of the list (at "40 porcorum"). Can you cut it out here at about 4:49 ? The rest is fine.

You didn't change anything else in the text, right ? I only Spot PLed the Latin now.

Thanks

Sonia
I will get that corrected & no I changed nothing else, I only changed the words from English to Latin.
April
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I've been mostly in the wind for the last few weeks, so I wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about this project! I have recorded 3 of the 4 sections I've signed up for, and will be editing and uploading within the next week or so, along with the fourth one once I record that too. (I'm doing a week-long house and dogsit starting Monday and it's an echo-y house no good for recording, so I'm working to do a bunch of "rough draft" recordings over this weekend that I can work on through the week as far as editing and uploading).

Thanks for your patience as always!
Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_26_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 9:47
Here is my edited file. I suppose that I must have been so pleased with my numbers that I thought adding an unnecessary one was the right thing to do. :lol:
April
marcelacollado

Post by marcelacollado »

Jmbau13 wrote: November 19th, 2019, 8:19 pm
marcelacollado wrote: November 19th, 2019, 10:27 am
Hello Jane, I appreciate your offer tremendously! I would love it if you could help me with these:

Frideswide
Leofric
Ethelberga
Frea
Woden
Eanfled
Boniface
Witenagemot
Godmundham
Coifi

I just don't know how you can send those recordings to me, but maybe you do?

Thanks again!

Marcela
Hi Marcela, happy to help, but jeepers, there are some doozies in that list :wink: :lol:
I've made a short file for you with suggested pronunciations and uploaded. You should use the link below to download it within the next couple of days, because the Tests folder gets cleaned out reasonably often, I believe.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Marcella_fromJane.mp3

With some, we simply don't know at this point how they might have been pronounced, so Sylvia's advice about 'make your best guess' still holds. In a couple of cases, I've provided alternatives - choose whichever you like. For example, with Frea, it's possible this is a form of 'Freya' which would be pronounced rather like Fray-ah, or it could be a completely other name, and would then rhyme with Thea, ie, Thee-ah.
I do try with English books in particular to get the English pronunciation of names and placenames and not the USA one, which is frequently, to my English ears, just 'wrong' and would cause great mirth among the English. For example, when PL'ing recently, I did advise someone that Samuel Pepys, writer of the famous Diary, was always pronounced as 'peeps' which he found immensely funny. It hadn't occurred to me until I heard him say it as peppies that anyone would say it like that, but when I did, I could quite see his point :lol: But there you go, Librivox accepts all.
I can strongly recommend this site for looking up pronunciation. It's worth it just to hear the variations on a single word between, say a USA speaker and a British one, or a German or a Dutch one. Fascinating. I use it often, as so many of the 'how to pronounce' sites are totally US-centric, which I often find a bit irritating.

https://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Wiki%20page
Thank you Jane, this was awesome! My English is US (sorry!), and I just found your accent fascinating. I would have read "peppies" too :lol: I hope to pronounce these names properly in my recording, but I wasn't that far off in some of them. I will check pronounce wiki as well.

Saludos,

Marcela
marcelacollado

Post by marcelacollado »

Kitty wrote: November 20th, 2019, 12:26 am
marcelacollado wrote: November 19th, 2019, 10:15 amThis is the second recording I have ever made and I wasn't aware of certain details (such as that I needed to write down the stamp marks of every single change I made), although I read through the instructions. I am sure I did not cut any words and told you so. I only removed sounds in the pauses that were not audible before the amplification. I did not do it to cause more work for you! I find it quite offensive that you would think so and remark about it in such a manner, as if it had been done due to my thoughtlesness.
do not worry, I did not think you did it on purpose to cause me extra work. I am sure that nowhere in my post did I insinuate that, in fact I excused you by saying "you couldn't know" because I know you are new here. That is why I took the time to explain why we have this procedure of mentioning the time stamps. This is not because I simply want this, but because it is more helpful and reducing the workload.

As for cutting out things by errors, it is not that I don't trust you, but this has happened before, even to me and I am a very meticulous person, but we are all humans and can make errors. Even when people are careful, a snippet is quickly cut out by mistake. So in order to assure that the sections are really ok, I do prefer to listen to them again, since it it my responsibility to assure that what I mark PL ok is also PL ok.
I am mightily upset at your comments. Maybe you would prefer that I do not record section 15? If so, I have no problem. Please let me know.
I am sorry that my comments upset you, I can assure you they were not meant in a bad way, I only wanted to be helpful and explain my reasoning to you. No hard feelings on my side. :) And if you want to record section 15, you can of course do so, I already assigned it you previously, maybe you did not see my post ? I hope you are having fun.

Sonia
Hi Sonia, it is all good, I am just happy I can continue to record, until now I am enjoying myself tremendously :D

Saludos,

Marcela
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Here is Section 18. I liked this one--obviously not a fan of the Danes though:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_18_tappan_128kb.mp3 17.39 KB

18:32

Jim :thumbs:
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

marcelacollado wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 2:28 pm
Thank you Jane, this was awesome! My English is US (sorry!), and I just found your accent fascinating. I would have read "peppies" too :lol: I hope to pronounce these names properly in my recording, but I wasn't that far off in some of them. I will check pronounce wiki as well.

Saludos,

Marcela
Glad it was helpful.
My accent is a bit of a funny mix though - mostly Australian, with traces of my English background (born there, we emigrated here when I was fairly young) and English/ancient history studies in there as well. 😆
We do the best we can re. Pronunciation. I’m currently reading a book with a lot of Hawaiian names in it, and am trying to get those at least moderately OK.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Kitty wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 7:42 am
Jmbau13 wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 6:49 pm Here is Section 43, very short at 2.58
and thank you as well, Jane. Very nicely done too, but also here I found a small error right at the end ;)

> at 2:43: "but his followers, the Lollards as they were called" - I hear some distinct beeping in the background here
> at 2:53: "end of section 43. this recording is in the public domain" - you forgot the final part of the end disclaimer.

thank you and have a nice weekend !

Sonia
:lol: I hadn't noticed the 'distinct beeping' - which was a bird calling in the background :lol: So familiar to me, I probably didn't even think it was on the tape. Anyway, fixed both. 3.2m
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Here is Section 42 for PL. 45m 52
What a battle. What a sad day. And yet... what de Montfort wanted happened, though he did not live to see it. All that warring and wrestling that led to Parliament and England's House of Commons.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume09_44_tappan_128kb.mp3
regards
Jane Bennett