COMPLETE[ADVENTURE] Ben, the Luggage Boy; or, Among the Wharves by Horatio Alger, Jr. - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yep, you were given a good answer. Although changing the file name at cataloging is not that easy, and the new file name does not get put onto the backup copy we keep....

Thanks, Todd
Seaquill

Post by Seaquill »

I passed with some corrections: <viewtopic.php?f=21&t=77242>
Here is the corrected file for the project: <https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bentheluggageboy_14_alger,jr._128kb_.mp3> (10:51)
This is weird -- I can't seem to change the link's name. When I put my file ready to load it reads "bentheluggageboy_14_alger,jr._128kb.mp3" but, when it finishes uploading, the link is as above, with the underscore ending. I've tried this three times, but nothing is different.

Should I rename my test post with "[OK]" in it? I've seen some others do this.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

You probably have a blank or something at the end of the file name. It doesn't normally show, but it causes great anguish to file systems....

You can rename the test post.

Thanks, Todd
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Seaquill wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 2:43 pm I passed with some corrections: <viewtopic.php?f=21&t=77242>
Here is the corrected file for the project: <https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bentheluggageboy_14_alger,jr._128kb_.mp3> (10:51)
This is weird -- I can't seem to change the link's name. When I put my file ready to load it reads "bentheluggageboy_14_alger,jr._128kb.mp3" but, when it finishes uploading, the link is as above, with the underscore ending. I've tried this three times, but nothing is different.

Congrats on the test OK. :)
(Out of curiosity - what program did you find for problems?)

I'll PL your chapter for you tomorrow if I can't get to it this evening.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Seaquill

Post by Seaquill »

Thanks. The program is called Checker: <https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker>
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Ah, yes. Checker is a permanent resident on my desktop. :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Seaquill wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 2:43 pm I passed with some corrections: <viewtopic.php?f=21&t=77242>

Hi! This is a great first chapter! :clap:

There is one edit to make: At 5:07, there is a missing sentence, "What else can I do?"
(Do you already know how to do punch-ins for missing or re-worked portions? If you're using Audacity, this is the tutorial I learned from:Punch-in Repair of Recordings.) (aside: punch-ins are a different thing from punch-and-roll)

Since it's your first chapter, I wanted to suggest a couple of minor tweaks for future work -

If you haven't already, bump the recording volume up a couple of notches so that your voice is nice and strong. Love your soft accent, by the way. :)
Also, for listeners who don't also see the words, a little bit slower pace lets the mind process the story a little easier. There's nothing wrong with your recording here, this is just something to make future ones a wee bit improved. :) We very much appreciate your help with this project and look forward to hearing from you more!
~Lynette * -
Seaquill

Post by Seaquill »

<https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bentheluggageboy_14_alger,jr._128kb_.mp3> (10:52)
Sorry for the delayed response. I had to get better Wi-Fi.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Seaquill wrote: November 26th, 2019, 8:23 pm <https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bentheluggageboy_14_alger,jr._128kb_.mp3> (10:52)
Sorry for the delayed response. I had to get better Wi-Fi.
You were perfectly fine on time. :) Excellent edit.

Section 14 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I guess I'm going to abandon my sections.... I can't really find a way to fix the noise and I really would prefer not to re-record the entire section. If someone else has any ideas or ways to fix it, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you!
Eduard Rochester

Post by Eduard Rochester »

ej400 wrote: January 6th, 2020, 12:22 pm I guess I'm going to abandon my sections.... I can't really find a way to fix the noise and I really would prefer not to re-record the entire section. If someone else has any ideas or ways to fix it, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you!
ej400,

Are you able to go back to the recorded files and "undo" all the noise reduction you put on them? The reason I asked is that the recordings sound like mine did when I first began playing around with noise reduction in Audacity. If you put on too much "secret sauce," it’ll make the recording sound tinny.

Audacity’s default noise reduction levels may look like these: Noise Reduction (dB) = 12; Sensitivity = 6.00; Frequency smoothing = 3.

If you haven’t already done so, undo all your previous noise reduction then make sure that these numbers are in place. That should resolve the tinny sound issue. Don’t try to apply an additional round of noise reduction because each time you do it gets worse. If this doesn’t produce better results then pull the pin and fall on your grenade.
Sir Eduard Rochester
Southern Desert Wind Collective
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Eduard Rochester wrote: January 6th, 2020, 2:49 pm
ej400 wrote: January 6th, 2020, 12:22 pm I guess I'm going to abandon my sections.... I can't really find a way to fix the noise and I really would prefer not to re-record the entire section. If someone else has any ideas or ways to fix it, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you!
ej400,

Are you able to go back to the recorded files and "undo" all the noise reduction you put on them? The reason I asked is that the recordings sound like mine did when I first began playing around with noise reduction in Audacity. If you put on too much "secret sauce," it’ll make the recording sound tinny.
Your a genius! I always save my first recorded files for things like this! I will definitely look into this. Thank you so much for helping me figure this out!
katboopla

Post by katboopla »

Hi, I don't think I'll be able to record my parts, sorry. Chapters 15 & 16 can be claimed by someone else.
:9:
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Not a problem. Thank you for letting us know, Katboopla :)
~Lynette * -
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Hi, I would like to claim Chapter 1.

Tommy Hersant
Blackboards are truly remarkable!