[COMPLETE][humour/essays]Journeys to Bagdad - Charles S. Brooks - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dbowens1227 wrote: November 17th, 2019, 1:58 pmFinished recording. Here is the link https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/journeystobagdad_06_brooks_128kb.mp3
File duration :05:34
and thank you Denise and congrats to your very first official section (now that probably feels good, doesn't it ?)

I loved the narration, you had a smile in your voice which made me smile while listening as well. :D Perfect for the witty undertone this author is always using. :thumbs:

The text itself was flawlessly read, but I have three small errors to note. Now please (I always say this with new volunteers) : No need to re-record the entire section, please only do these spot edits. Otherwise it's too much work for both you as reader and me as listener. If you need technical help on how to edit, please don't hesitate to ask. But it's important to learn editing right from the start ;)

> at 0:20: "Respectfully submitted to a mournful air" – you repeat "chapter 6" here. You can cut this out and instead insert the title of the chapter, otherwise we don't have that one anywhere.

> at 5:54: at the end we always leave a standard of 5 seconds of silence (also noted in the first post). Could you please add 4 more seconds here ?

> your bitrate is wrong, it needs to be set to 128 kbps constant. I remember this was correct in your test, so you must have changed this manually or else Audacity would have saved it. :hmm: Could you change it back please before re-exporting to mp3 again ?

Then simply reupload with the exact same filename and that's it :)

Thank you

Sonia
dbowens1227

Post by dbowens1227 »

Awesome thanks Sonia :D. Will do!
dbowens1227

Post by dbowens1227 »

Hi there,

Finished with the revisions.

Here is the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/journeystobagdad_06_brooks_128kb.mp3
File duration: 5:58

Thank you :D
Denise
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dbowens1227 wrote: November 19th, 2019, 4:31 pmFinished with the revisions.
Here is the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/journeystobagdad_06_brooks_128kb.mp3
File duration: 5:58
thank you, Denise. The title is perfectly inserted, wouldn't hear a difference in sound. :thumbs:

But I am sorry, now the volume has dropped to under 86 dB, which is our required minimum. Could you maybe amplify with 2 dB the whole thing, to get a bit more inside the limits ? You use Audacity, right ? If you need any help with it, I can walk you through it. It's very easy.
Also at the end it's still only 3 seconds of silence, so 2 more seconds would be perfect.

three's the charm ? We're getting there. :mrgreen:

Sonia
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Greetings
I'd like to claim sections 01 and 02
Rita
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RitaBoutros wrote: November 20th, 2019, 8:32 am Greetings
I'd like to claim sections 01 and 02
Rita
thank you, Rita, great to have you on this project. Especially the title of the second chapter sounds very promising 8-)

Have fun !

Sonia
dbowens1227

Post by dbowens1227 »

Sure no problem Sonia! :D

Yes I use audacity. To amplify I can use the Amplify tab under the effects button. Or I can turn up the sound Under the Audio Track Section
by moving the slider Mute|Solo button correct?

File duration will be a total of 6:00 -which I started to do but second guessed myself :hmm: Oh well.

Sonia thanks again for your patience. :thumbs:

Much appreciated,
Denise
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dbowens1227 wrote: November 20th, 2019, 11:17 amYes I use audacity. To amplify I can use the Amplify tab under the effects button. Or I can turn up the sound Under the Audio Track Section by moving the slider Mute|Solo button correct?
to amplify, do the following:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input +2 in the upper slot (called "amplification dB")
> press ok

I don't know whether the slider button would change anything. I think that may only be for when you record, not later on.

Sonia
dbowens1227

Post by dbowens1227 »

Great thanks Sonia! :)
dbowens1227

Post by dbowens1227 »

Hey there,

I made the corrections. Please see attached link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/journeystobagdad_06_brooks_128kb.mp3

File duration: 06:04

And for good measure - I used the checker this time :clap:
Thank you!
Denise
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dbowens1227 wrote: November 21st, 2019, 5:01 pmAnd for good measure - I used the checker this time :clap:
very wise, I use it for all my recordings as well, before I upload, then usually all the technical errors get detected right away :thumbs:

It seems to me that you re-recorded the intro from scratch, is that correct ? Why is that ? I hope you did not re-record it all again once more ? :? Please let me know if I have to do a new PL from the start. Otherwise it is completely ok.

I'll wait for confirmation.

Thank you and have a nice weekend :)

Sonia
dbowens1227

Post by dbowens1227 »

Hey Sonia,

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I did re-record the intro piece ONLY up to where I announce the title only! Respectfully submitted to a mournful air

For some reason, I kept hearing distorted audio (loud hum, crackle distorted sound) on my end. I attempted all kinds of tricks to resolve it but was unsuccessful. Sonia, I apologize if this created more work for you but I didn't feel confident that it would pass with the small section of the intro piece sounding so bad. :(

Thanks again Sonia and have a great weekend as well!

Denise
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dbowens1227 wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 7:51 am I did re-record the intro piece ONLY up to where I announce the title only! Respectfully submitted to a mournful air

For some reason, I kept hearing distorted audio (loud hum, crackle distorted sound) on my end. I attempted all kinds of tricks to resolve it but was unsuccessful. Sonia, I apologize if this created more work for you but I didn't feel confident that it would pass with the small section of the intro piece sounding so bad. :(
no worries, it wasn't much extra work. I just wanted to make sure it was just that part. Thanks for confirming, so now it's definitely PL ok. :clap:

Have a nice weekend

Sonia
gojo514

Post by gojo514 »

I would like to claim "Through the Scuttle [not Skuttle] with the Tinman. Part 10 on the list

Gordon S. Jones
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

gojo514 wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 9:56 amI would like to claim "Through the Scuttle [not Skuttle] with the Tinman. Part 10 on the list
thank you for pointing out this typo, I corrected it.

And a big welcome to our forum, Gordon :D

Thank you for your interest in this project, and I will reserve you section 10 for now.

However, before you start recording, we strongly advice to complete a one-minute-test first. This is to check that the technical settings are all up to LV standard.
You can read all about it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Please post the test in the Listeners Wanted forum: viewforum.php?f=21 and someone will check it and give you feedback and advice if needed.

As soon as the test is has been given the OK, please post the results back here, so I can assign you the sections officially. At that point, I will also open a personal reader page for you, so please also tell me which reader name you want to go by. Can be the same as the forum name or your real name, or whatever. :)

So for now I will reserve the section for you for one month, to give you time to sort out the test. If you still have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask and good luck with the test ! :)

And so this already makes us fully claimed, so I am moving this project over to Readers Found.

Sonia