COMPLETE The Phantom Death and Other Stories by William Clark Russell -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I can PL them right away, Laurie :) downloading now

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

growlands wrote: May 30th, 2019, 2:44 pmHere's a link to Section 2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/phantomdeath_02_russell_128kb.mp3
Length: 36:52

Sincere apologies for the extended delay. Between allergies and colds, Spring has not been pleasant in Chicago this year :(
I'm not completely happy with this recording due to the above; for example, the accent came out a bit rougher than intended for the sea captain. And if anyone can suggest a good mike that's not too expensive to pick up, I'd really appreciate it.
hi Gareth, hey, I think I checked your one-minute-test a few months ago ;) now we meet again. First of all, apologies for the long delay in feedback, but better late than never, as they say.

I listened to your story just now and WOW, it was a brilliant narration. No need to have any apprehensions about rough accent or bad microphone, it sounded totally cool. Especially the roughness of the old sailor's voice was totally fitting here and very entertaining. :thumbs: I really enjoyed every minute of this story. And now I know all the names of the different parts of a ship :lol:

The reading is absolutely fine and flawless. This section can be marked PL ok, without any doubts. Good job, and I'm looking forward to listening to another story from you soon. :9:

Thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

CJThorpe wrote: September 20th, 2019, 11:19 amUploaded the (first?) version of Chapter 6 : https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/phantomdeath_06_russell_128kb.mp3

First one of theses and first longer VO read, so really enjoyed all the learning I got in my recording software, and such.
I've listened to it a few times, but I'd be surprised if I caught all my errors, so look forward to getting info on any that you folks spot.
hey CJ, thank you for another interesting story, although I guessed the plot somewhere in the middle of it :lol: But it was wonderfully narrated as well and especially in the dialogues you were very lively and it was a joy to listen to. 8-)

I have a few suggestions for corrections though.

> First of all, careful with your volume. It's currently at 91.9 dB, which is just inside our accepted limits (maximum 92 dB), but some 2 or 3 dB less would be better for your future recordings. You have lots of clippings. Do you use Audacity ? There you can see the clippings marked with red lines if you tick the box "show clipping" under "View" in the upper menu. This risks distorting the audio if it happens too often in a cluster. Here the audio doesn’t seem too corrupted to my ears, so you were lucky, there is no need to change anything for this time, but it is something to watch for future recordings.

> another good suggestion concerns the lengthy pauses between sentences, which were a bit too long sometimes. Anything over 2 seconds sounds long to a listener and one has a tendency to get “thrown out of the story” if the pause is too long. I don't mean you should rush through the story, and some breaks are helpful to follow along with the story but for that, 1.5 seconds maximum is fully enough in my opinion.
I gave you a few examples below where the pause really would profit from being cut a bit. As a helpful suggestion, start cutting from the end of the recording and work your way up to the beginning of my notes, that way the time stamps stay the same ;)

> at 0:22: instead of “Chapter 6” please say the title of the story here “The Major’s Commission”. You omitted the title completely and immediately started with the story. Also, silence between intro and start seem a bit long

> at 10:19-10:22: (p. 97) between “hiding for Europe” and “on either hand of the Jessamy Bride” – lengthy pause

> at 12:35: (p. 98) missed beginning of sentence (underlined part) : “We might therefore make sure that before the first dog-watch came round all hands would have heard”

> at 18:52-18:55: (p. 101) between “as his duties required” and “I was pacing the deck” – lengthy pause

> at 20:46-20:48: (p. 102) between “a short, nervous laugh” and “we were talking in this fashion” – lengthy pause

> at 29:37-29:39: (p. 107) between “that’s about it, said he” and “aftert his I kept no further lookout” – lengthy pause

> at 31:58: (p. 109) missed part (underlined): “ha !” shouted the major. ”Who has it ?”

> at 32:35-32:37: (p. 109) between “we stood at the door of it” and “he seemed heedless” – lengthy pause

> at 33:14-33:17: (p. 109) between “shall be fulfilled” and “the poor gentleman” – lengthy pause

So, bottom line: the story was engagingly narrated and it was a pleasure to listen to. These few errors are easily corrected, just trim the silence a bit and re-record the three missing sentence-parts in another audacity window and copy them into the correct slot and maybe adjust volume so it sounds a bit similar to the rest of the sentence.

Thank you, and congrats to your first section for LV. :thumbs:

Sonia
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks very much, Sonia!
Laurie Anne
CJThorpe

Post by CJThorpe »

Thanks Sonia, I'll get on to that immediately.

I've also been going through it again, and have noted a few more added and missing word errors, too, and will get on to them all this weekend - the extended pauses will be nice and easy, and the volumes will be easy to fix, as I kept the original without any FX added, separately.

CJ
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

CJThorpe wrote: September 27th, 2019, 5:13 amI've also been going through it again, and have noted a few more added and missing word errors, too
well it's not word-perfect required, so anything I didn't note down is not too important to correct.

If however you choose to correct anything else that is NOT in my notes, please mark down the exact time stamp and what you changed, so I can Spot PL that as well. Otherwise I need to listen to it all again to find what you changed. :? It will make my job easier if you give me exact time stamps.

Thanks

Sonia
growlands

Post by growlands »

Thank you, Sonia, for the very kind words, I really appreciate it!

Gareth
CJThorpe

Post by CJThorpe »

My apologies for not posting for so long, I have had some home issues and had to purchase replacements for what was lost. I will get this done this week and upload.

Again, my apologies.

CJ
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks for the update!
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Still working on the edits, CJ?
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

It's been 3 months since Sonia posted the PL notes and over 1 month since CJ last visited the forum, so I've made the spot edits to Section 6. I was hoping CJ would record the title of the story, but instead I cobbled together the words "The Major's Commission" from existing audio and inserted it at 0:23. Sonia, please see what you think when you hear it for the first time; it might very well be better just to leave it as "Chapter 6" and omit the chapter title. I've also reduced the overall volume and shortened the pauses you mentioned by a little bit. The missing sentence parts will just have to stay missing.
https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/phantomdeath_06_russell_128kb.mp3
Laurie Anne
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocoholic wrote: December 26th, 2019, 10:25 amI cobbled together the words "The Major's Commission" from existing audio and inserted it at 0:23. Sonia, please see what you think when you hear it for the first time
:shock: I think it sounds perfect. And you simply did this by taking words from out the text ? It's brilliant. When I try such things the tone of voice is never fitting :lol: Absolutely great job. :thumbs:
I've also reduced the overall volume and shortened the pauses you mentioned by a little bit. The missing sentence parts will just have to stay missing.
yes it's really only that lengthy part that is a bit strange, but the "said he" bit is really optional anyway. He spoke in character so one well notices who is speaking.

Excellent, this is PL ok and can finally get archived. :9: we managed before the new year.

Sonia
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks very much! I've started the cataloging process, which should be finished tomorrow.
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Cataloging is complete:
https://librivox.org/the-phantom-death-and-other-stories-by-william-clark-russell/

Thanks very much to everyone for your work! Sonia, thanks again for stepping in to PL!
Laurie Anne