COMPLETE[PLAY]Don Garcia of Navarre, or The Jealous Prince by Moliere - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Don Garcia of Navarre, or the Jealous Prince by Molière (1622 - 1673). Translated by Henri van Laun (1820 - 1896)

Nothing can be more unlike The Pretentious Young Ladies or Sganarelle than Molière's Don Garcia of Navarre. The Théâtre du Palais-Royal had opened on the 20th January, 1661, with The Love-Tiff and Sganarelle, but as the young wife of Louis XIV., Maria Theresa, daughter of Philip IV., King of Spain, had only lately arrived, and as a taste for the Spanish drama appeared to spring up anew in France, Molière thought perhaps that a heroic comedy in that style might meet with some success, the more so as a company of Spanish actors had been performing in Paris the plays of Lope de Vega and Calderon, since the 24th of July, 1660. Therefore, he brought out, on the 4th of February, 1661, his new play of Don Garcia of Navarre. Molière wished to create a counterpart of Sganarelle, the type of ridiculous jealousy, and to delineate passionate jealousy, its doubts, fears, perplexities and anxieties, and in this he has succeeded admirably.
( Translator Henri Van Laun)
  • Not the usual Moliere comedy. Prepare for passion and tears.
    Gender neutral casting; Kitty will serenade us with her DPL feedback.

This play is complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/don-garcia-of-navarre-or-the-jealous-prince-by-moliere/

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6740
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: Bu1oaelr
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Molière) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molière
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 35
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1661
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of Don Garcia of Navarre, or the Jealous Prince, by Molière. Translated by Henri van Laun. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#]. At end of last act, also add: End of Don Garcia of Navarre, or the Jealous Prince, by Molière.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        jealousprince_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
      Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

getting this on my DPL list and I would like to be Donna Inez :)

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Ah, perfect part for me would be Don Pedro.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: November 18th, 2019, 7:35 am Ah, perfect part for me would be Don Pedro.
my gentleman usher :9: pleased to meet you. Thanks, Larry !

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I'll give Don Alvarez a go! :)
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: November 18th, 2019, 7:49 am I'll give Don Alvarez a go! :)
already I'm starting to get confused by all the Dons :lol: thanks, Tomas ! Great to have you in.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

first in :) here is the lovely Donna Inez, who'd rather die than marry the wrong guy. She gets her well-deserved happiness:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/jealousprince_inez_4_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:02 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/jealousprince_inez_5_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:53 min.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

May I read Don Lopez?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you both.

Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

May I read Eliza please?

(Personally, I feel more aligned with Donna Elvira's views on jealously, but that girl just talks too much!) :D
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

CAn I play DON ALPHONSO, Prince of Leon?
also what would the voice credit be?
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

leanneyauyau wrote: November 21st, 2019, 5:33 pmCAn I play DON ALPHONSO, Prince of Leon?
also what would the voice credit be?
my love interest !!! thanks Leanne.

For the voice credit, the best is always to refer to the MW: "Don Alphonso, Prince of Leon, thought to be Prince of Castile, under the name of Don Silvio, read by Leanne Yau". I know...a bit long this time :lol: you should have heard mine !

Sonia
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

[The sweat drips down his forehead...]
I haven't been around much lately, and I'm shocked the lead is still unclaimed. With a bit of angst, I would like to claim the Role of Don Garcia. This will be a stretch for me, patience and tolerance please.

--Kurt
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

kwpapke wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 9:33 pm [The sweat drips down his forehead...]
I haven't been around much lately, and I'm shocked the lead is still unclaimed. With a bit of angst, I would like to claim the Role of Don Garcia. This will be a stretch for me, patience and tolerance please.
Kurt !!! there you are again: I already thought some rattlesnake had gotten the better of you on one of your tours. Glad to see you around again, and of course you can have a stab at Don Garcia. He is not the most pleasant person around I fear :lol: But I'm sure you can manage. Now get those old dusty Spanish costumes down from the attic and start recording :mrgreen:

Thanks

Sonia