COMPLETE Anthem by Ayn Rand - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pbkuhn

Post by pbkuhn »

Please disregard.... I loaded the same file again. I will reload and provide correct link
pbkuhn

Post by pbkuhn »

OK.... Here is the second draft of chapter one

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/anthem_01_rand_128kb.mp3

I think I corrected most, but my editing skills are still pretty crude

Thanks you for your patience and effort
Cori

Post by Cori »

Please could you try the magic window login again -- at Phil's request, I've tucked the duplicate user out of the way, so it should work as expected this time round. Though you may still need to do the Forgot Password dance once more through. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
pbkuhn

Post by pbkuhn »

I was able to reset the password now. However, it still tells me I dont have rights in the forum.

"You don't have permissions for this area.

Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage

Logout

"
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That's because you logged into the uploader using the generic login. Log out, then log in hereafter using your personal login and password.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
pbkuhn

Post by pbkuhn »

OK, I think I am in, still learning to use it, but I think I am in! Thanks
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

pbkuhn wrote: November 15th, 2019, 8:48 am OK.... Here is the second draft of chapter one

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/anthem_01_rand_128kb.mp3

I think I corrected most, but my editing skills are still pretty crude

Thanks you for your patience and effort
I thought you did a wonderful job editing. They sound much smoother than most of mine. Only a few things to address:

I did not hear corrections for the intro and the stumble at 26:43 (now around 26:40) - was this intentional?

At the end of our recordings we must have 5 seconds of silence, yours is around 1 right now (yes, this is one of the rules that gets forgotten about early on but becomes habit). Otherwise everything else sounded great.
pbkuhn wrote: November 15th, 2019, 1:45 pm OK, I think I am in, still learning to use it, but I think I am in! Thanks
Yay! Great news. I see you got the chapter name and time duration in there, great first step. Just ask if you need help figuring out the other sections of it, and me or someone who sees it first will happily answer. By the end of this book you'll find it is much easier.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

pbkuhn wrote: November 15th, 2019, 1:45 pm OK, I think I am in, still learning to use it, but I think I am in! Thanks
Great. Thanks to Cori for fixing this. Let me know if you have any other questions.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
lymiewithpurpose

I just saw that you uploaded the second chapter, sorry for not catching it sooner. In the future, please note that uploading it/entering it into the MW does not give me notifications. As I tend not to check on projects without notifications, I will most likely not catch it quickly. If you post in the thread (even a simple post like 'the next chapter is up'), I will get notified and be able to listen sooner.

Also, great work on the MW (I saw you also got the links in). There are only two more steps for each section:
  • In the MW, it still does not have you listed as a reader. To do this, you need to click on the button that says 'assign reader sections'. Then, in the 'reader' section you need to start typing your username in. Unfortunately this is a little touchy, and if you type too many letters in the list of names will disappear. You then need to start taking away letters until you can scroll through a list and find your username. I don't know why, but if you merely type in your username apparently it won't work, you need to select it from the list. This will make more sense when you are doing it. Then, in the 'section' space, you need to enter the sections you want to assign yourself to (in this case if you type 01-13 it should work). You will only have to do this once.
  • The other step is in the far right side, where it currently says 'open' (it will say 'assigned' when you enter yourself as a reader). Every time you upload or re upload a section, you will need to edit this. You click on it, and from the drop down menu choose the appropriate status. If it is the first time you upload it, you select 'ready for PL'. If you upload it after PL notes, you select 'ready for spot PL'. My job is to change it to either 'see PL notes' or 'PL OK' after PLing it. This keeps track nicely of sections' progress, and shows in reader's and PLer's list of sections to record.
I sound like a broken record, but this will get easier. Eventually, all of this will become second hand to you and you will barely have to think about it. I will try to listen this afternoon, and get back to you!
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

Chapter 2 was nice. I think it has given us a very solid introduction of the world. I will be interested to see where it goes next.

As to the technicals, I noticed that the plosives and weird squeaks have both gotten better. So, if you tried anything different, I think it worked.

To the text:

3:10 – stumble

4:48 – stumble

5:46 – heard ‘Eugenetics’ (a nonexistent word) instead of ‘Eugenics’

6:44 – rather large volume jump (this can be fixed by amplifying part of the recording)

Need 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Also, what source were you reading from? I did not get any indication that you were reading from the one I suggested, so I listened along with the one you linked. I looked closer and found a few incongruences between the texts (mainly caused by confusion from how the text you linked handles it), but I took a quick listen again to parts of your first chapter and think that it aligns better with the text I linked rather than the text you linked. If you stick with the text that you linked, then I believe there are some extra lines:

15:10 – extra text ‘and all the things made by the Evil Ones’, and ‘And the fire which is called the Dawn of the Great Rebirth, was the Script Fire where all the scripts of the Evil Ones were burned’, if I am reading it correctly.
EDIT: If I am reading the text correctly, this little section should read 'Then great fires raged over the land. And in these fires the Evil Ones were burned, and with them all the words of the Evil Ones. Great mountains of flame stood in the squares of the Cities for three months. Then came the Great Rebirth.'
EDIT 2: Or, if you read the section inside the {+}, And in these fires the Evil Ones were burned. And the fire which is called the Dawn of the Great Rebirth, was the Script Fire where all the scripts of the Evil Ones were burned, and with them all the words of the Evil Ones.
I know this is confusing, it has confused me too. I guess just pick an option, and we'll roll with it.

Overall, I really enjoy the way you read and am excited for more.
Last edited by lymiewithpurpose on November 18th, 2019, 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Campbell
pbkuhn

Post by pbkuhn »

I have added more chapters. I will make the corrections in chapter 1 and 2 you mention and let you know.

Apologies about the confusion as to which version to use. I used " Read this book online: Generated HTML (no images)"

I would change to another, except that I have already recorded the entire book, and was hoping to avoid redoing.

Thanks for all your patience and valuable council.
lymiewithpurpose

pbkuhn wrote: November 18th, 2019, 7:55 am I have added more chapters.
Great, I will listen this afternoon and get back to you. I noticed you filled in all the necessary spaces in the MW, nice work!
pbkuhn wrote: November 18th, 2019, 7:55 am Apologies about the confusion as to which version to use. I used " Read this book online: Generated HTML (no images)"

I would change to another, except that I have already recorded the entire book, and was hoping to avoid redoing.
Oh yes, that would be nightmarish. Makes sense. Let's definitely stick to the one you found. Just out of curiosity, when you see the text do you sometimes find words that are surrounded by [-xyz-] or [+xyz+] for example? If so, how do you know which ones to read? I assumed it was the [-xyz-] ones, but I feel like sometimes the [+xyz+] is right.
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

I listened to Chapter 3. I apologize if I had caused confusion about the text sources as well, there were just a few things that didn't quite match that confused me. I am glad we have it figured out now.

My few notes:

The overall volume is low at 82.8 dbs

2:23 – stumble (m-men)

2:47 – slight extra ‘w’ sound before ‘we’

At the end you have about 6.5 seconds of silence. From experience I have found that this is acceptable, but it may be nice to trim it closer to the 5 seconds suggested (an easy edit). Your choice.

I'll PL Chapter 4 after lunch. I am excited, Equality 7-2521 is quite the interesting person.
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

I listened to Chapter 4. These people are daring, I wonder what will happen to them?

Notes:
Volume is low at 83.1 dbs

Again, there is around 7 seconds at the end. This is starting to get a bit long, so you may want to trim it.

Nice job reading!
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

I am not sure if I will get through all of the chapters this afternoon, but I will do my best.

Chapter 5:
The volume is low at 84.6 db (we need 86-89)

There are around 7 seconds of silence at the end, you may want to trim it down to the recommended 5
Campbell